Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2020, 07:42   #1

Boat: Solaris Sunrise 36
Prout Elite vs Solaris SunRISE 36

Hi

Wondered if anyone out there has experience of the sailing performance of these 2 boats/models ? I should say that we are not looking for out-and-out performance - we recognise that both will be fairly pedestrian by comparison with our last monohull. Although this is a move forced by a recognition of our declining years and requirement for sailing on the level, lighter gear and a wish for a deck saloon and additional living space, we would still like to sail.

We have several of these specific models in mind so please note that we are specifically looking at the Solaris SunRISE 36 and not the Solaris Sunstream (which I understand has better performance - but is not available or possibly within budget) and the Prout Snowgoose ELITE (which is reported to sail less well than the 37 but, for us, has some other benefits).

Is one a better sailor than the other - up wind, reaching, down wind ? What sort of passage planning figure would you use for either boat ? How close-winded (or not !) are they ?

TIA. Any info or thoughts most welcome !
pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:45   #2
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Prout Elite vs Solaris SunRISE 36

Maybe look at the Solaris Sunstar 36, taken of a LeRouge design and with the Solaris build. Very strong, better bridgedeck clearance and a better sailor than the other Solaris models.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:51   #3

Thanks smj. Sadly I don't believe there are any Sunstars available in the UK and our current market for purchasing is pretty limited given current circumstances. There are a number of SunRISEs in the UK and Europe - hence the enquiry.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:39   #4

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

I would think the sailing ability between these two is very similar. I have sailed an Elite but not a Sunrise. The big genoa mini mainsail and mast at the front of the cockpit make for very easy sail handling. Great off the wind but required help from the iron sail upwind. Both share this arrangement.

The only thing I didn't particularly like on the Prout was the single engine. The leg was very noisy, cavitation in waves and maneuvering in a marina is not intuitive. Perhaps having 2 engines given your circumstances would be a big plus. There is also the added redundancy benefit of 2 engines.

Good luck with your purchase whatever you decide.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
I would think the sailing ability between these two is very similar. I have sailed an Elite but not a Sunrise. The big genoa mini mainsail and mast at the front of the cockpit make for very easy sail handling. Great off the wind but required help from the iron sail upwind. Both share this arrangement.

The only thing I didn't particularly like on the Prout was the single engine. The leg was very noisy, cavitation in waves and maneuvering in a marina is not intuitive. Perhaps having 2 engines given your circumstances would be a big plus. There is also the added redundancy benefit of 2 engines.

Good luck with your purchase whatever you decide.

Tupaia - many thanks for that. Most helpful ! Does sound as though there's not much between them in terms of sailing so I guess we're down to availability, condition and equipment. Must admit the idea of "being followed by a tractor" is one of the issues we have heard with the Prout and engines hidden nicely down under the berths sound a lot quieter if, as I imagine, we were to use the engines a lot more than on our Rival.

If you have any more recollections of the Prout we'd love to hear them. Sir has a sentimental attachment to the breed having been brought up not far from the Prout factory but they do both seem likely to make comfortable cruising boats for spending fairly long periods cruising.

Thanks again. Penny
Old 05-05-2020, 08:20   #6

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

I don't know anything about the Solaris, but know Prouts well as we live on a Snowgoose 37 and have been on many.

The Sillette drive leg (Single Engine) with a single engine has it's pros and cons. It's really nice when sailing and you lift the leg to see the speed increase (can be 1/2 a knot) when you lift it up. As for noisy - this depends greatly on the engine and how well insulated it is, but as others have commented it will be louder than if the engines are not right behind the cockpit.

There are Snowgeese out there that have two saildrives below each of the rear berths. So I would assume this too is around for the Elite.

Be aware on the Elite that the side decks are narrow - try walking about and image doing it at sea, you may not like it, or may be okay with it.
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:09   #7

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I looked at a Solaris 36 for sale. I liked what I read about it, general layout etc. Then I saw where they stuffed the 2 engines to. Under the bunks, way in the back with an overhead directly above further limiting access and it was shoehorned in. I couldn't see how you could service it let alone service it under way in bad conditions.

I ended up with an Island Packet, Packet Cat 35. Superior layout and workmanship and nearly standing headroom (I/m 6') and access to all sides. Night and day difference in design and design for cruising.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:38   #8

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffr View Post

Be aware on the Elite that the side decks are narrow - try walking about and image doing it at sea, you may not like it, or may be okay with it.
Aren't tthey just as narrow on the regular 37, Quest 31, and Event 34? Basically all of the models where Prout gave the 'coffin' cabins headroom subsequently suffered from less deck space at the sides, and a slightly smaller cockpit.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:58   #9

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Aren't tthey just as narrow on the regular 37, Quest 31, and Event 34? Basically all of the models where Prout gave the 'coffin' cabins headroom subsequently suffered from less deck space at the sides, and a slightly smaller cockpit.
Another feature of the Packet cat. Standing headroom everywhere and much lager side decks than others of its size.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:08   #10

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Mike,

On the Elite they pushed the cabin out reducing the side deck width from what the original Snowgoose had. They also added "planing wedges" in the aft cabins at the waterline. So the Elite is a good bit larger inside.

The Snowgoose and others (I believe) have the same width side decks, the Elite is a good bit narrower.
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:24   #11
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
Another feature of the Packet cat. Standing headroom everywhere and much lager side decks than others of its size.

I can see how the Packet Cat achieves headroom in the salon, the Delta pod!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0659.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	214432
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:57   #12

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
I looked at a Solaris 36 for sale. I liked what I read about it, general layout etc. Then I saw where they stuffed the 2 engines to. Under the bunks, way in the back with an overhead directly above further limiting access and it was shoehorned in. I couldn't see how you could service it let alone service it under way in bad conditions.

Surely the easiest way to establish this is to check the engine service records of any potential purchase.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:30   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

The wedges ain't for planing! It was to make the aft bunks wider. If you're concerned about sailing performance to even ask, I reckon you need to be looking at better designed boats.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:46   #14

Packet cat is a powerboat. A barge. Lots of room though if you don't sail much it's saving grace.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar