Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2008, 14:13   #1

Boat: Prout 50 Quasar 1980
Send a message via Skype™ to tolly
Prout Quasar 50

Does anyone have experience of the Quasar. Old, big, comfortable and seaworthy is what I have read.
Our family's (wife and 4 "kids", 12, 16, 18, 20) budget for purchasing a boat stops at 250 000, and we still want to have the possibility to circumnavigate. There are a couple of years to go, but we want to know what to look for once it's time.
At the present (since 12 year ago) we have a 52" Colin Archer type ketch, built in Norway 1924, in good condition, but that one is not an option circumnavigating.
The Quasar lookes large and seaworthy enough, but it would be nice to have the knowledge of someone who has actually owned or sailed one, before we start looking more intensive.
Or do you have any other realistic sized cat suggestions in that price range?
Thanks in advance
tolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 14:44   #2

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
You've summed up the Quasar 50 exactly in your 2nd sentance!

I've only been on one for a daytrip (Kuralu in the BVI) I talked for quite a while to the English owner and discovered he'd sailed a lot of the world before ending up in the BVI. They are great, solid seaworthy boats but.. They don't have anywhere near the space of a modern 40 - 45 foot boat.

That's about the extent of my knowledge I'm afraid. You might do better asking on the Prout Owners Association PROUT OWNERS ASSOCIATION

There's a test of a Quasar from back in 99 by Charles E Kanter (who knows a thing or two about boats) here... http://www.michaelbriant.com/specifications.htm

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 10:19   #3

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I think you'd find that it is a very good boat. As Kanter said in his review "I believe too many manufacturers try to squeeze too much accomodation for the size of boat", many modern boats have become even worse at that. Frankly, I think it would be hard coming up with a better boat at your price point.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 11:08   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
well build and comfortable cat , you cannot go wrong with the Quasar 50.

happy sailing
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 11:46   #5

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
One other boat I'd look into would be a privilege 45 1996 Privilege 45 Boat For Sale

There are the 5 cabin versions with the center nacelle area as a seperate cabin. That way everyone gets their own space. Privileges are also known as very solid boats for circumnavigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolly View Post
Does anyone have experience of the Quasar. Old, big, comfortable and seaworthy is what I have read.
Our family's (wife and 4 "kids", 12, 16, 18, 20) budget for purchasing a boat stops at 250 000, and we still want to have the possibility to circumnavigate. There are a couple of years to go, but we want to know what to look for once it's time.
At the present (since 12 year ago) we have a 52" Colin Archer type ketch, built in Norway 1924, in good condition, but that one is not an option circumnavigating.
The Quasar lookes large and seaworthy enough, but it would be nice to have the knowledge of someone who has actually owned or sailed one, before we start looking more intensive.
Thanks in advance
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 14:51   #6

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
I spent quite a few weekends on my friends Quasar some years ago. Most enjoyable, not sleek, not sexy, solid, more than roomy enough and somewhat oldfasioned in a very nice way. Wont break any sailing records but will get you there. If in good shape and good price.... go for it

Post details if you have them

Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:46   #7

Re: Prout Quasar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolly View Post
Thanks in advance
HI Tolly
did you ever find a Prout Quasar 50 we are selling ours from the UK...if you wolud like details please email me on katielovesneil@gmail.com
regards
Katie and Neil
KatieandNeil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, Prout Quasar