Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2023, 10:56   #31

Re: PSS Failure on only one shaft

Sorry about the angle
juliogustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 11:00   #32

Thanks. Add a stainless steel collar clamp in front of the one with the kit.
Old 28-10-2023, 13:16   #33

PSS Failure on only one shaft

Hi Juliogustav, those are indeed the squishy Yanmar mounts and the installation requirement is a departure from the suggested plan where the 2x100’s are on one side and 2x75 on the other, you should have 4x100’s and even then it’s a big ask to expect the movement fore and aft to be small enough for the PSS. I’m assuming this is a 3GM engine and not a 4LHA which use a larger version of the ones on the GM series.
One other thing to consider is to shim up the rear engine mounts to partially eliminate the exposed thread between the nuts on the adjuster thread, an 8mm or 10 mm thick aluminium plate under the mount makes the rear mounts less likely to respond to the thrust (you already have these shims under at least one of your mounts in the photo’s) and I’m not surprised at all that you were able to pull the propeller shaft back and forward against those yanmar mounts to the point where the PSS would leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3239.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	282713  
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 14:56   #34

PS .....Are you aware that the top locking nuts (in 2 of your photo’s) are not locked down/ loose?
Old 30-10-2023, 07:56   #35

Skipperpete, thank you for the info. Yes, the plates / shims are on the port side and this is the side I do not have problems with. As for the mounts. I think I will be replacing the mounts. Going to use some that look better made and are 100. Not sure when this will all happen. I am mechanical but don't trust myself on the alignment issue. Might just have it all done when I get the bottom painted. When I move forward I will get back with you on how it all turned out. Thank you again for sharing your opinion. And I will tighten the other two nuts.
Old 30-10-2023, 15:36   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliogustav View Post
Skipperpete, thank you for the info. Yes, the plates / shims are on the port side and this is the side I do not have problems with. As for the mounts. I think I will be replacing the mounts. Going to use some that look better made and are 100. Not sure when this will all happen. I am mechanical but don't trust myself on the alignment issue. Might just have it all done when I get the bottom painted. When I move forward I will get back with you on how it all turned out. Thank you again for sharing your opinion. And I will tighten the other two nuts.

The original yanmar mounts are perfectly ok although very expensive, they just didn’t reckon on anyone ever using a shaft seal that wasn’t happy with 4 or 5 mm of fore and aft movement. If you replicate your port side engine mount shims and snug it all down tight, it should be ok but bear in mind that while harder ( non OEM) mounts will help with the PSS problem they’ll also be less forgiving with engine vibration.
Old 31-10-2023, 08:54   #37

Hi,
Provided your engine installation is OK, then you can
just fit a shaft anode forward of the stainless ring once you have set the preloaded and you will be fine.
This is ours on a Yanmar 3JH3.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230913_100327.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	282881  
Nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote