Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2019, 06:20   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Purchasing a Sunsail Charter from Croatia for US and International Cruising

ExchangeGeek. Better PM me with your phone number. This is not all that complicated but its easy to miss important stuff on this forum. For instance, if you USCG doc your boat, or if you buy one that is already documented, and then state register it, your USCG documentation will automatically be invalid.

Now I can hardly wait for those on the form to posit that I am full of it but this true. The USCG will not know that you have state registered, and therefore invalidated your documentation, they will just keep sending you renewal notices and you will keep on paying them. But if anything happens that you will need the protection and benefits of documentation; accident, law suit, insurance, financing, etc. and a search is run, some smart lawyer will discover that your USCG doc has been invalid for the last twenty years, or whatever.

States like Florida, with personal property taxes, require documented vessels to sort of fake "register" for tax purposes only. They give you a decal to display on the boat (no state numbers) so they can walk the marinas and scan the anchorages and see whose been in state without a decal for more than the maximum period allowed. This has no legal standing at all except with their tax collectors.

I've been in Puerto Rico for the last few days setting up a new charter deal. I will be back in Honolulu (home port for the boat I've moved to PR) for a few days tomorrow, so PM me with your phone number and we can talk on Thursday or Friday.

Regards,
Jack
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:34   #17

Boat: Leopard 44

Thanks!
ExchangeGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:33   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
ExchangeGeek. Better PM me with your phone number. This is not all that complicated but its easy to miss important stuff on this forum. For instance, if you USCG doc your boat, or if you buy one that is already documented, and then state register it, your USCG documentation will automatically be invalid.

Now I can hardly wait for those on the form to posit that I am full of it but this true.
Yep, you are incorrect, I guess I'll be one of 'those' that you're referring too. However, I will be happy to provide links to those facts.

Directly from the United Stated Coast Guard

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...-FAQ/#anchor19

IS A DOCUMENTED VESSEL EXEMPT FROM STATE JURISDICTION?
No, all documented vessels must comply with the laws of the state in which they are operated. The vessel's document must be shown to state law enforcement personnel upon their demand. States may require documented vessels to be registered (but not numbered) and to display state decals showing that they have complied with state requirements.

You may be thinking of TITLING a vessel with a state, which is true. To Document with the USCG is to essentially Title the vessel with the Federal Government. Not all states title vessels, however a vessel cannot be title by two entities. Either it is titled by a state (IF they title) or it is titled by the federal government, via USCG documentation.

To the OP. There are A LOT of opinions. I would suggest not getting dragged out of the forum by any one persons opinion, regardless of their claims to have knowledge and understanding of the system. The best source of information is the actual source (e.g. the USCG in this case).
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:41   #19

Boat: Leopard 44

Great reply and I know for my power boats, Ga does not require a title for boats. I'll ask them whether registration is required for USGC documented boats. That seems to be a good place to start for registration as I can keep it in Savannah for a little while. I don't intend to stay in any one state for long as I chase 75 degree weather.
ExchangeGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:54   #20

You only need to register within a state if you exceed the length of time you can be in the state. Some are consecutive months, some are total for the year. The length and terms vary from state to state. It is possible to need to register in multiple states.

Each state registration process typically has a section to indicate if the vessel is Documented with the USCG. If so, those that title, know not to title a documented vessel in the state. Many states have a different colored sticker for state registered vs Documented vessels.

Documented do not put bow numbers on the vessel. You can easily document without registering in any state as long you don't remain in any one state beyond its requirements.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:56   #21

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Shrew is correct, I believe. And to clarify (or unclarify) documentation is federal registration and they say that on their website. It's also a title. Many states require state registration which may or may not include a title. They just want your money. You can't have 2 titles and that is where Schmidy got a little mixed up.

Tags
charter, Croatia, cruising, purchasing, sail