Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2014, 12:41   #1

Putting a cat together

I was given a brand new catamaran hull. I t is the only one off the mold. It is well made and the jell coat is slick looking dark blue. It is 21 feet long and 100 inches wide. I will be able to tow it with out a special permit. It was designed to be a racing motor driven cat. It has a step in the hull about 2/3 of the way back from the bow, They never finished it above the bridge deck. I'm not planning on going very far out in the pacific ocean with it. But I would like to be able to sail it.
So My question is do you think I could run a cat rig on it? there is no problem with building it, but I wonder if it would be a working rig? I do not know how someone figures where they set the mast to balance out with the hull configuration Mac.
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 20:05   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Putting a cat together

Probably not. Sailing hulls and racing motor hulls are way different. You will need keels and or daggerboards to sail it. It will be a total waste of money.