Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2022, 18:52   #16
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Question for Beamy Cat Owners (25ft+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_cabin_fever View Post
Good to know - thank you PippaB! So I've been looking up and down the East Coast for options - and really just starting with haulouts. I haven't even really looked into marinas and docking yet. From what I'm finding - it seems like there's a big 800 mile gap in haulouts from South Georgia to basically New York or Rhode Island. Where do you cruise? Would you feel comfortable having your home port in the middle of that gap, given your experiences?

Really appreciate everyone's feedback - thanks!

Quick question, are you basing your lack of haul outs based on beam, or beam plus to tall of a stick to deal with the ICW?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 19:12   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Quick question, are you basing your lack of haul outs based on beam, or beam plus to tall of a stick to deal with the ICW?

The latter - there are several other threads here on CF that have documents showing all of the haulouts based on max beam and air draft restrictions. I’ve also called around and confirmed each one in our surrounding states. For example, Gunboat had a facility in Wanchese NC and they were able to haulout really wide beams. But this facility is closed and has not been fully repurposed yet.

I started this thread mainly because this effort felt too academic - and I wanted to get real-world experiences. Perhaps haulout isn’t even the biggest challenge? Has anyone had difficulty finding safe anchorages because their beam was prohibitive?
nc_cabin_fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 19:27   #18
smj

Quote:
The latter - there are several other threads here on CF that have documents showing all of the haulouts based on max beam and air draft restrictions. I’ve also called around and confirmed each one in our surrounding states. For example, Gunboat had a facility in Wanchese NC and they were able to haulout really wide beams. But this facility is closed and has not been fully repurposed yet.

I started this thread mainly because this effort felt too academic - and I wanted to get real-world experiences. Perhaps haulout isn’t even the biggest challenge? Has anyone had difficulty finding safe anchorages because their beam was prohibitive?

I know a guy that has hauled his trimaran with a 30’ beam in Wanchese, but I believe used a crane on a private lot.
There’s always the possibility of dropping your mast then passing under the fixed bridges to reach a haul out facility?
We’ve gone through this exercise for the last couple of years trying to find an affordable answer, but cats are becoming popular and the yards are being bought up and prices escalating.
A commercial yard is a good idea, but if you have work done, remember they are use to working on commercial boats. Nothing like a shrimp boat repair on an engineered composite boat!
On a bright note, we’ve never had a problem anchoring with the wide beam!
Old 13-04-2022, 20:38   #19

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

I own a Lagoon 440 that has a reduced mast to 64.5 and a 25.5ft beam. Being able to CAREFULLY navigate the ICW is a huge bonus. We have had to wait for a few tides to drop in order to fit under a few bridges.

We dont do a lot of time at marinas as we haul out in July and put back in January. We were on a dock for a few days in January after being put back into the water and 2 days in Bimini in February. All the rest is spent on the hook. When I have wanted dockage its not been an issue many times.

Haul out is another issue though and it is difficult to find places to accommodate us.
Key Largo, ft Lauderdale, Fort Peirce, Cape Canaveral, St Augustine, and Savanah Ga all have at least one place that can haul us though.

I love our big bottom girl though and the stability is tremendous, especially at anchor. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a beamy boat in the future
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 05:26   #20

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Quote:
Good to know - thank you PippaB! So I've been looking up and down the East Coast for options - and really just starting with haulouts. I haven't even really looked into marinas and docking yet. From what I'm finding - it seems like there's a big 800 mile gap in haulouts from South Georgia to basically New York or Rhode Island. Where do you cruise? Would you feel comfortable having your home port in the middle of that gap, given your experiences?

Really appreciate everyone's feedback - thanks!
We hauled out at Georgetown, Md. They can haul up to 30 feet, as I recall. That cuts your 800 mile gap down somewhat.

GRIT has a 25 foot beam and 72 foot air draft.

I don't know if someone's already given you this list, but it's been on Cruiser's forum for a while. It's a great compilation of haulout facilities along the US east coast.

You'll normally only have to haul-out once every couple of years, so it's a concern; but I wouldn't suggest you let it hinder you from buying a boat that you like.

And to answer the OP question: Yes, we'd do it again. But you should know, we didn't build this boat "for" the US east coast, we built it to travel the world; and based our compromises on that premise.

Cheers.
Paul.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cat_haul_out.pdf (52.5 KB, 109 views)
Old 14-04-2022, 06:16   #21

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

That PDF wasn't the one I thought it was, it covers significantly more than just the US east coast. I hadn't seen this one before, and I'm glad I decided to review it.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 14-04-2022, 07:51   #22

We didn't have a wide beam (only 14ft) but as smj indicated...air draft is a much bigger consideration if cruising the east coast.

Having to go outside to get around low bridges can often mean long detours and if the weather is nasty, the ICW may be just fine but having to offshore may mean not being able to travel or traveling in questionable conditions.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 08:16   #23

Boat: Leopard 46 Owners

We have a leopard 46 with a 25' beam and 72' air draft.
Have been up the Chesapeake to Baltimore, down the coast to Bahamas and back twice now. Hauled in Edgewater MD, Thuderbolt GA, and Fort Lauderdale, FL We have friends that have hauled in Spanish Wells Bahamas.

To date our biggest hassles have been from mast height. If your cruising the east coast, make sure your mast is ICW friendly.

You can always find a place to haul out withing a couple hundred miles. If you can't find a slip, you can anchor. But we have misjudged weather a few times and would have loved to be safe and sound in the ICW. Had to delay movements for weeks to wait for weather, and even then had some really uncomfortable rides.

Our plan was not to cruise the east coast but go down thru the carib. So when we bought, ICW was not on our minds. Unfortunately Covid changed those plans for a year , but we are back on track now.

We are in the Dominican Republic now, at a slip for the first time since January. Looking for a weather window to hope to Purto Rico. So far had no problems getting slips When we wanted one once we left Florida. Florida had slips, but they were very expensive ($5/foot).

If I were to buy again, I would go with an ICW friendly stick. If the size you need to fit all those people prevents that, be ready for some tough sailing and lots of waiting for weather.

I did not see what your cruising plans are. You say east coast, but are you really looking for a liveaboard that will house your family and not really move too often? If so, ICW becomes less important. Find where you want to base and get the biggest thing that will fit. IF your planning on moving a lot to really explore the east coast, Mast Height will be your biggest problem.

Ken
SailSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 10:15   #24

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

at 28'-10" ours is wide and the air draft of 86' do not allow for intercostal but we like our boat; comfortable, roomy and fast.....as far as haulouts you can get a list of yards that can haul a wide beam (try aeroyacht.com), marinas only a T birth so not all can accommodate...we anchor or take a mooring most of the time. We did not think of the logistics when we purchased her but have gotten used to it and don't mind at all.....Bon Vent and enjoy
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 11:16   #25

Boat: Horstman 38 Trimaran

We have Trimaran with a 20' foot beam and have no problems getting hauled out here in the Northwest. all our commercial docks have lifts of up 30+ because of the fishing boats. Look for commercial docks and we have also found docking space by sub leasing from commercial boats. Love the beam of our boat as it has lots of room for the grandkids and the wife does not like lots of heeling.
Old 14-04-2022, 12:07   #26
Marine Service Provider

Most Caribbean yards can haul big cats. There is a new maintenance center and hurricane hole in the DR which sounds really good.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 12:30   #27
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Most Caribbean yards can haul big cats. There is a new maintenance center and hurricane hole in the DR which sounds really good.

And no fixed bridges to worry about mast height!
Old 14-04-2022, 12:34   #28

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

On the S Chesapeake, Zimmermans-Mathews, VA yard recently upgraded their facilities to haul cats up to 32’ beam on a specialized hydraulic trailer. Small reputable yard, quality repair facility but not inexpensive.
Old 14-04-2022, 13:08   #29

Boat: Colegate 26

I owned an Orana for about 3.5 years on the east coast and into the Bahamas. It had a 25' beam and 64' mast. We went under a few 65' bridges on the ICW, but much preferred to sail on the ocean.

Marinas were indeed a difficult topic. Haulouts too. But they are available. There are a lot of bigger beamier boats out there.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 14:26   #30

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Pier 7 Marina in Edgewater, MD can haul a pretty wide cat using their trailer and boat ramp. No bridges!

https://www.catamarans.com/site/news...-62-Feet-Catam