Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2022, 20:02   #61

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: Question for Beamy Cat Owners (25ft+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_cabin_fever View Post
Thanks ggray!

If you were selling - would you consider anything wider? Given the market conditions - we are trying to keep our options open.
A few inches narrower could be helpful, but I wouldn't base the decision on that.

I bought this boat 22 years ago with my eyes open. I actually have more and better options now.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 20:34   #62

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Thanks LoudMusic! Your Orana is another great example - so with your preference for sailing on the ocean, would you consider a beamier cat if you did it again?
I don't think I would. I don't think it's necessary for me. But not because it's too wide - just that I don't need it. It's just my wife and I, and potentially a dog or cat the next time around. We had a few guests but I'm not sure any of them would come around again, or anyone new. The Orana was a lot more space than we needed, and only went that large because that's the size it takes to get certain features we wanted. Like a pedestal bed and a separate shower stall.

I think we can probably get all the features we want in that size again, or potentially even smaller. I think the current crop of 40' boats with 24' or even smaller beams could get the job done.

I would look pretty hard at the places you're interested in going, and see what kind of haulout options you can find. The places we did haulout could have taken a bit more beam - upwards of 30' I think. But there were several places I kept on my options list that claimed only 25'.

As far as marinas go, once you're past about 20' I think you're stuck on the ends of the dock anyway, and then it doesn't really matter how wide your boat is.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 15:59   #63

Boat: Simpson 11m Catamaran

Of course that question is location-specific but where I am I see a lot more of those haul-out trailers (Sealift, Roodberg etc) being used these days. They have a lot of advantages over a travel lift and the flexibility to take almost any size or shaped vessel. With these, weight is the limiting factor, not beam
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 06:18   #64

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I had my tri with a 24' beam hauled by a Sea-Lift in Tacoma WA. The other big advantage is it was less than half the cost vs a travel lift.
Old 18-04-2022, 06:27   #65

Boat: 2014 Lagoon 560

Yes, there are difficulties. My 56' Lagoon has a 31' beam. Finding a haul out facility that can accommodate wider than 24' is difficult. There are only 3 on the east coast and the prices are ridiculous $4,000-$8,000 just for the lift.

But, it's worth it for this extra room. Also, some companies just charge by the foot for repairs, mooring, etc, so you do come out ahead there.
tjmoquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 06:45   #66

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

My previous 43' Voyage just fit, with some antenna rubbing, under the bridges enabling an enjoyable trip up and down the ICW with some nail biting but no real issues. The Dismal Swamp in a catamaran is fun - we trimmed trees on both sides with the beam, but, again, no real problems.

A good rigger can shave a foot or so from the top of your air draft if necessary - and build a headboard that enables keeping most of the sail shape. The minor loss in performance is hardly noticeable and the increased flexibility is worth the cost. My Voyage didn't need this, but I have friends who circumsized their mast because the fixed bridge in Lake Worth Lagoon in the Palm Beach area won't clear anything over 65' at any tide.

About every 3 years of so, I had he pulled and the running gear serviced. The Voyage has Sail Drives that (at that time) could only be serviced out of the water.

Alternate years I went the day before and after full moon to a submerged island just off West Palm Beach. I went over the island at high tide, deployed two anchors and cleaned/inspected/painted at low tide. 2 days later, I carried the anchors back to the boat, waited for high tide and drifter back into deep water. About $450 for paint, supplies, and cases of beer for the SeaTow and BostUS boats that came by to help get me off - they left surprised, happy with the beer, and promised to return next year with Pizza. They did and we all had a good laugh.

The local water sphincter police told me it was illegal to scrape the bottom and let the results go in the water - but with yearly painting, there was no real scraping and they left with cold Coke.

I would look hard for a boat with shaft drive over the sail drives if I were doing it again. The sail drives were my largest running expense - even though I had to rebuild both engines after 5000 hours because I rant 2 250 Amp alternators and couldn't get rid of the excess heat - next time water cooled alternators.

The space, doubles, 2 heads, washer/dryer, water maker, underway air conditioning (from the 200 Amp alternators) slept 6 people in comfort. The galley had a fridge and top load freezer that gave us sufficient food for ocean crossings with good meals.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 06:45   #67

My Cat was 20 wide and we had some difficulty finding a haulout. The mast was 56 feet so no problem with 65 foot ICW bridges. Big boat= big problems, small boat= small problens. Get the smallest caramaran that will do the job and GO NOW.
CruiserBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 06:46   #68

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Just curious, What's the price of a 300 ton travel lift? Yes I know they are custom made to order so ballpark will be fine.
Old 18-04-2022, 07:14   #69

Boat: Lagoon 450S

We have a Lagoon 450 with rubrails. The rubrails basically increase the beam out to 26 ft. And we are 76 ft high, no ICW for us.

Yes, there are limited facilities to haul out, but we haven't found it much of a problem.

For us, we usually haul out at Safe Harbor Harbortown in Ft Pierce, or Zimmerman's if on the Chesapeake.

Would not trade the comfort and stability we have. We cruise up and down the east coast, the Bahamas, and all around the Caribbean.
Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 07:27   #70

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

I count more than three and I think you were overcharged for just a lift unless it included bottom painting......have you tried Bridgeport boat works, they can haul out any size cat and you can do the bottom work yourself if you wish
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 10:19   #71

Quote:
Thank you smj - and good point about the air draft. We've basically given up on anything ICW friendly at this point, but very true.

Your beam of 24'11" is a great example - is that narrow enough to keep planning simple enough? Would you be leery of having a wider beam given your experiences? For haulouts - you'd be within an inch of max beam here in NC (without fixed bridges).
The beam and aircraft are absolutely things to be concerned about. Standard slips for a 40’ boat is about 15’ so anything over that is a premium. A lagoon 380 beam is under 25’ but still will require an end tie or extra wide slip. The cost is proportional to the beam of the slip as well. Orientalist is a place that last I heard had catamaran slips available.

As to haul outs it takes specially wide travel lifts. That is why there are so few.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 10:39   #72

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 47

The latest update to the Cat Haul Out List, adding The Catamaran Company in St Augustine (although they use the St. Augustine Marine Center's facilities) and Subbase Drydock in St. Thomas.

Note that the list now includes East and West coasts of US, Bahamas, Carribean, and a few in Europe, Central America, South America and Pacific.

Regarding the OP's question, the number of facilities that can handle >25ft beams is much smaller. But as many have said, it may be worth it!

Torrmundi
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cat Haul Out (JM 220418).pdf (533.9 KB, 29 views)
torrmundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 11:07   #73

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

I'm sure I erred in my answer. I was replying to the Leopard 50 who said he was charged 4K for haulout and only found 3 place for a 30' beam...anyway if you look at the list provided by Torrmundi you will see there are quite a number of places, just have to plan your haul outs
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 15:12   #74

Boat: Crowther Custom Performance Cat

We have a 24x46 and you get used to what you have. 24 no longer seems too wide but it did when we first got her. Have done ICW and two thoughts:
1. Airdraft not getting any better with certain sinking bridges on icw and rising sea levels. 62.3 ft airdraft on ours and we have crept under a few bridges at less than one knot— but we cleared them all (Norfolk to Port Canaveral).
2. In a pinch, 24’ is max width for most 70 ton lifts, and you look for the 90 ton plus lifts whenever possible. There was a list of wide lifts published on this site a few years back. From experience, there are enough lifts up through New England. Not many in NJ but NY harbor, Bridgeport CT, Essex CT, Narraganset bay north of Newport RI has two, Gloucester Ma, Portland and Southwest Harbor Maine. These and others (Jarrett Bay (now a Safe Harbor Marina) included. They exist outside of Florida.

Our boat is plenty wide enough but still fits through narrow icw passages and under bridges. Get a good dinghy and a great (and larger) anchor; living on the hook and at moorings is fabulous. My wife and I have taken guests sailing on larger cats; but I would never go larger for east coast icw sailing. Very happy with 24’ and after monohulls, it feels palatial after 12 ft beam in a mono.

Fair winds.
JimmyDarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 16:41   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmoquin View Post
Yes, there are difficulties. My 56' Lagoon has a 31' beam. Finding a haul out facility that can accommodate wider than 24' is difficult. There are only 3 on the east coast and the prices are ridiculous $4,000-$8,000 just for the lift.

But, it's worth it for this extra room. Also, some companies just charge by the foot for repairs, mooring, etc, so you do come out ahead there.

Thanks tjmoquin - curious if your home port is near one of those haulouts?
nc_cabin_fever is offline   Reply With Quote