Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2016, 10:43   #31

Re: Question for experienced boat purchasers

So, in a nutshell, if I purchase a boat from the US or Mexico, there is no duty cost because of trade agreement, even if I bring it back to Canada, and I only pay tax if I bring it back to home as well. Does that about sum it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
alverz2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:49   #32

Boat: Wildcat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by alverz2007 View Post
So, in a nutshell, if I purchase a boat from the US or Mexico, there is no duty cost because of trade agreement, even if I bring it back to Canada, and I only pay tax if I bring it back to home as well. Does that about sum it up?
No, it's not where you purchase it, it's where it was manufactured that matters.

We purchased a South African boat in Florida and the import duty to Canada would be 9.5% (plus taxes).

So if it's a Canadian, US or Mexican BUILT boat then you could purchase it anywhere in the world and bring it into Canada for only the taxes.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:37   #33

Oh I see, thanks

Old 02-07-2016, 02:25   #34

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by alverz2007 View Post
Hi everybody,
Anybody know what fees, duty, taxes, etc would be involved if I'm from Canada and purchasing a sail boat from the US or any other country (besides monetary conversion) ? Thanks,
I purchased a fresh water Ericson 34 two years ago in Manistee, Michigan. So far I haven't sailed back to Canada (I'm now sailing the West Indies) but I plan to sail to Vancouver. I did it in a previous life & pay NO import duty when I arrived in Victoria BC for -although my sailboat was made in UK- I had lived more than one year outside Canada & I could bring back "duty free" whatever I'd purchased at least six months before my re-entry in Canada. They've changed regulation since but you should check that point with Canadian Customs.
Another point to remember: You have to have the US registration cancelled & you must provide a certificate of "Deletion from Documentation" if you want to have a Canadian Registration that allows you to travel anywhere such as the Panama Canal. If you sail only in Canada, a "Pleasure Craft Licence" is OK but I don't know about sailing in the US ? Deletion document costs $15 + $12 to get printed/email copies.
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:37   #35

Awesome, thanks for the info

Old 02-07-2016, 21:10   #36

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
If boat was built in the US you pay the HST when you register in Canada. If you truck it in, you pay the HST plus the broker to clear customs.Done once, painless process.
I bought a Hunter 35.5 in annapolis and had it trucked and registered in canada. Agree with above...use a customs broker, no troubles, no fuss. Go for it.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, purchase