Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2013, 02:33   #46

Boat: Searunner, 37'
Hello all,
Yes, you can teach yourself to sail, but do it in an easily handled dinghy. Gary Hoyt designed a boat just for beginners, I am drawing a blank on the name though.
However, the very best way to learn to sail is to race. Racing teaches you to react to all situations quickly and safely. If you don't do it right you lose the race. Go to your local yacht club and ask around. People always need to crew. You will be rail meat to start but you will learn.
Good luck! Sailing is far more enjoyable than powering.
Old 16-12-2013, 04:32   #47

Boat: Searunner, 37'
Re: Questions about Sailing

Hello again,

The Garry Hoyt boat is the Escape. It is the ultimate boat for a new sailor. Read the article at Escape Dinghy review | Cruising World
Old 16-12-2013, 12:10   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsauls1 View Post
Easy guys , i just thought i would ask a simple question did not know it would turn into this , but i guess you get what you ask for. I did receive some advise some positive some not so much and i do thank you , i have operated a boat before , i have navigated coastal and offshore waters just about my hole life just not on a sailboat and i know there is a big difference. Just looking for the best way to get that knowledge. Thanks
JMO, but the best way is to get professional lessons. Crewing on a race boat might be OK, but it would depend on how many bad/unsafe habits the skipper has. Also, you might never get beyond the "rail meat" stage...

You're unlikely to hurt the boat, but you could easily injure yourself - for instance if you get your fingers between a sheet and a winch drum.

Just a competent crew course would get you all the basics.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 13:33   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
NO!.. You can not teach yourself to sail. ( Wait for the flaming). You will make so many mistakes that you will end up hating the sport/lifestyle- as will your significant other. The most likely outcome is a growth of disdain towards it, rather than a love of it. Rendering your boat useless as you and your "other" choose to do other pass times. Get Lessons! dont just read books, (dummies books are great BTW) I am not sure on what part of the world you live in, but if you get RYA Day Skipper Quals ( or equivalent) you will become quite proficient . Coastal Skipper quals you will be a great sailor and one that others will trust with their lives. In a perfect world you and your significant other could do the courses together and bounce ideas off each other. As far as purchasing is concerned. Try chartering a few cruising cats first. Just about every other cat, in a lagoon price point, is of a high standard, so it will come down to other variables, like layout, sail-ability, deck layout etc.
Excellent advice. We hired before we bought our 45' cat. Then paid for an instructor to come out on OUR boat and teach us how to sail, reef, MOB etc etc. Excellent investment.
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 13:50   #50

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsauls1 View Post
Thanks for all the input and advice , i understand the importance of getting the hands on training before doing anything that has never been done before. To me it's like going from the 27' Scout that i operate to a 64' Viking , it's a huge step. I'm just looking for advice on where to start so we can live our dream some day of living on our catamaran in the BVI and just spending the days cruising the islands. Thanks
Why not start with a crewed charter on a cat for a week where they can teach you how to handle the boat and you get an idea of how the live-aboard life suits you? We did training/ live aboard for a week and it was great (on a mono). Then bareboat chartered a cat in the BVIs and we were hooked. We have now sold everything and live aboard our cat and it is amazing (in ALL kinds of ways) and we are still learning all the time! Just some time aboard with someone who will teach and let you handle the boat will build your confidence and help you figure out what you want on your boat.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 13:53   #51

Boat: Catalina 387

I'm mostly race/self taught. Took a few ASA courses, was nothing really new. The OP has a large advantage in that he already knows how to handle a bigger-than-skiboat powerboat. With a cat, he already knows how to dock it with twins.

Read alot and learn the bizzare words used on a sailboat. Get a few courses as your time and budget allow. Find a boat to crew on. Practice yelling "Helm's alee!!!" in your best pirate accent.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 13:58   #52

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
Practice yelling "Helm's alee!!!" in your best pirate accent.
Is that pronounced "Arghhh"?
Old 16-12-2013, 15:43   #53

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Is that pronounced "Arghhh"?
Yes... yes it is.. Keeps the dang crew on their toes if they have no idea when the boom's gonna smack their noggin.

Besides, it's easier to remember "Arghhh" then all that fancy "hoist this," "sheet that," kinda complicated stuff. Just point and make pirate noises..
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 16:27   #54

Boat: Piver Nimble, 30'

I suppose it's typical of an internet forum to have so many extreme points of view. But reading between the lines, I would say that the best advice is getting hands on experience, and chartering with a crew seems the most logical to me, especially if you can do that on your boat of choice.

Nothing beats time on the water...
twinzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing