Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2018, 17:59   #1

Boat: C&c 30 mk1
Raising a 24 foot mast on small glen L cat

Anyone have any tricks for raising an aluminum mast on a 16foot glen L catamaran? Only has 1” engagement to aluminum deck step. Has two side stays that are about 2 feet rear ward of mast and a forestay that goes to the middle cross bar between the hulls.
I’m thinking of making a block to stop mast from sliding while raising. Mast has to go up and down easy so I can trailer to lake on weekends
Sirzones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 18:23   #2

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: Raising a 24 foot mast on small glen L cat

Make a tabernacle. I used a blade with a T slot so the base of the mast wouldn't kick out when raising it.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 20:27   #3

Boat: Westsail 32

I used to have a 19' O'Day Mariner on a trailer whose mast I raised and lowered. As I remember, the mast had a 1" deep indentation on the bottom that fit on a tabernacle.

While the boat was on the trailer I'd walk the mast up with all the rigging, except the forestay, in place. When the mast was vertical, I could hold it comfortably while the crew, usually my lady friend, shackled the forestay into place. The rigging stabilized the mast on the way up.

Takedown was the opposite. I'd hold the mast vertically while she undid the forestay shackle, then I'd walk the mast down and put it in its cradle. I think now that, with experience, I didn't loosen the turnbuckles on the sidestays or backstay to take it down and put it up, but I might be wrong about this.

It's important to get an experienced person to show you how to walk the mast up and down, before you try it yourself. After your first session, it'll be easy to do.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 11:27   #4

I thinking of a mast hinge, seems like a simple way when single handed
Old 27-05-2018, 09:39   #5

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirzones View Post
I thinking of a mast hinge, seems like a simple way when single handed
You've answered your own question. My first open day-sailor had such a device. You can make one yourself if you're handy with s.s. or, have one made for you. You'll need to attach the base plate to the boat & the mating hinge plate to the base of the mast. Make the hinge-pin removable to enable you to detach the mast from its step plate. hey presto! . . . When raising the mast, set the base of the mast in the step plate, insert the hinge pin, raise mast to upright position & secure with stays ... go sailing . . . you're welcome!
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 09:44   #6

This small cat is a restoration project, my son and I should have all the varnish finished by next weekend, then have to build one rudder and both dagger boards. Very excited to get on the water. This boat has been in storage for 15 years.
Thanks for the reply’s

Tags
ais, mast