Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2021, 20:36   #1

Real cat performance in video

When I was shopping for a cat I was surprised how little videos there are about how boats sail. So after buying my first cat I decided to record videos of how she really sails in different conditions under different sail plan. You can check them all here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYf...2sMOyhmWqtSFYQ
Hope this will be interesting for someone
Mantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 20:40   #2

Boat: None currently
Re: Real cat performance in video

Great idea!
rexripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 22:03   #3

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Very nice videos, and beautiful sails!!!

I had the same issue, trying to find true accounts of sailing speeds, in various wind conditions. I've made a few videos similar to yours, but recently found that I am having issues with the pilot computer, which does most of the calculations. So ignore the "current" arrow in our videos, we know it was innaccurate due to improper initial setup, and being behind in software updates.

I'd say we're sailing at very similar speeds to you.

We just got back to the USA from the Bahamas, and were doing 13 knots in 17 knots of wind at 110 degrees TWA, coming across the gulf stream. Most of the trip was in winds closer to 10-12 knots, while we were sailing at between 8 and 9 knots of wind. All with the code zero and full mainsail.

We're still very new to Cat sailing, and are learning more every day.

Thanks for posting your videos. Here's a sample of my amazement at seeing the apparent wind angle moving forward 50 degrees from the true wind angle. As you can see, the speeds are similar to yours.

And this one in about 10 knots of wind with the main and jib (we didn't own a code zero yet).

I think videos like yours, and mine, will help folks see what cats really sail like. At least that was my intention.

As opposed to someone just saying they can sail at 15 knots, or whatever number it is, and then find out they were actually surfing. It makes a big difference as to perception of performance, when you find out they were surfing, or perhaps only saw 15 knots for a split second.

Thank you for sharing.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 21-03-2021, 01:36   #4

I've a bunch of sailing videos here, some sailing performance, some whale watching, snorkelling etc...

https://youtube.com/user/alanjm1234

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 03:09   #5

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantas View Post
When I was shopping for a cat I was surprised how little videos there are about how boats sail. So after buying my first cat I decided to record videos of how she really sails in different conditions under different sail plan. You can check them all here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYf...2sMOyhmWqtSFYQ
Hope this will be interesting for someone
very nice. Sailing upwind at 45 true, are you able to estimate tacking angle, so one can see how much leeway your boat produced excluding current?
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 03:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I've a bunch of sailing videos here, some sailing performance, some whale watching, snorkelling etc...

https://youtube.com/user/alanjm1234
pretty good you do not need to worry, i will not challenge you except maybe in stronger weather and longer trip where things get levelled out a bit.

For comparision, we can do up to 7 kn in 10 true reaching with gennaker. Upwind in 10 kn true, 4 kn making around 3kn VMG.
Old 21-03-2021, 09:20   #7

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Thanks 44C for your videos, that's a quick cat!

More videos on this thread would be interesting to watch, instead of "I can do this, or that". As Mantas said, it's hard to find actual videos showing various cat's performance, sailing. What a treat it would be to have a compilation, right here on this thread.

I think he's started a very nice thread, and I think it would be more beneficial to add videos, than to simply comment that "my boat can do this".

Cheers all.
Paul.
Old 21-03-2021, 11:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
very nice. Sailing upwind at 45 true, are you able to estimate tacking angle, so one can see how much leeway your boat produced excluding current?
I would like to estimate this, how would you recommend to do that?
Old 21-03-2021, 12:05   #9

Yes, the idea is to show reality and then everyone can decide for them selves if this is what you expect from the cat that you are about to buy or charter or live on it or any other reason. Of course, people will like to compare and compete who is faster, better, stronger - this is not bad too, I like to see more fast cats built and more people enjoying sailing them.
So far I am really happy with my choice of Nautitech 47, but I was buying blind with almost zero videos of her sailing. As always there are tons of interior walk around videos and this you can easily see once you do a boat visit, but its not that easy to get the boat for a spin and understand how she sails. And even if you get it to sail for few hours its not going to be in different conditions with different sail plans. In general I found very little info about Nautitech 47 on the internet.
Old 21-03-2021, 12:12   #10

Boat: Grainger Spoonbay 38ft Trimaran

Here's a bunch of our Trimaran... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZY...O8xtni-qx5km7Q

This a couple of weeks ago
when I was driving - unusual for me no time to really look around this day https://youtu.be/5Op5L19axmI?t=70
Old 21-03-2021, 13:02   #11
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Real cat performance in video

Winds were 10-12 on the beam. Crappy video quality. Doing 9-11 kts. on the video, top speed was upper 13’s as the wind increased a little.

https://youtu.be/fxKSNBxGGiE

https://youtu.be/hMBhr6tN2H0
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 13:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantas View Post
I would like to estimate this, how would you recommend to do that?
this is what i do

use sas planet that records track every second.

I ignore impact of tacking itself and choose track with typical angle before and after tack using sas planet distance calculation tool that give you angles.

For example want to calculate this tack angle see 2 pics. One can see that angle is 79 degrees and the other 168. Therefore actual tack angle is 168-79 = 89 degrees.

i will one day produce sail video as well. but will be a while as we stuck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-03-22_07-32-59.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	234972   Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-03-22_07-31-43.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	234973  

Old 21-03-2021, 18:05   #13

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

I can’t remember the wind speed but the apparent was on the beam. Sailing in calm water only 8’ deep. Just deep enough that we were not digging the stern in but could feel the interaction with the bottom was slowing us down.

https://youtu.be/yA8z4BbVVyU
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote