Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2020, 15:08   #1

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35
Replacing Lewmar Hatches

Hello all,
Is replacing Lewmar Hatches which have been in place since 1995 a DYI job or best left to the Pros? What is the best way to break the existing bedding to remove the hatch and what is the best new bedding material for replacing with a new hatch?
Old 31-08-2020, 16:16   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Replacing Lewmar Hatches

I've replaced a couple on Catalinas and they were very easy because they were bedded with butyl tape which is what I used on the new replacements. If they were bedded with something else it can be difficult, check the edge of flange. If the sealing material is soft it may be butyl, if hard as a rock might be a pain. You can have the hatches rebuilt but I was lucky to find some NIB for half price at Minney's Surplus.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 22:49   #3

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Replacement is often more economic that refurbishment.

If the hatches are dumpers then cut a section out of each of the sides with a hacksaw or very carefully with a grinder. The pieces should then come away relatively easily. If the pieces are still solid then fishing line or leader wire with a tee handle at each end can be used to cut through the old sealing compound. If the hatches have some intrinsic value then use the fishing line or leader wire all round but it can be a pig to get started.

I prefer to use silicone for sealing, the stuff they use to make glass fish tanks and to stick glazing panels on sky scrappers, is excellent.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:50   #4

I recently ended up with an oscillating multitool.... a found item someone gave me, not knowing what to use it for.... I didn't either at first. I used it a few months ago to take the decks off a pair of Hobie 14 hulls.... Worked very well , working it's way between the two surfaces and cutting the hardened bonding paste, and made what would otherwise have been a real bitch an easy job. There are blades with various types of teeth, as well as smooth edge scraper blades, and the offset makes it perfect for this kind of job.... Over all it's been a versatile addition to my collection of 20V max tools.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch, lewmar