Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 13:52   #46

Boat: A few!
I little (!) money spent on a good crewed charter with an experienced and knowledgeable skipper would be a good investment. Among many reasons already mentioned, the right boat will also give a great insight into marine systems and more importantly how they are maintained and operated. Wont get that info in the showroom!

Having spent 12 years as a charter catamaran skipper and much of the time in the caribbean, I still have some pretty good contacts. PM or email me if I can help point you in the right direction.
caribcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 07:24   #47
Cap

Boat: 1984 Witness 35 Catamaran
Retirement Boat

I took the route of researching what kind of boat I wanted, and spent the last couple years figuring out exactly what that was. I looked at many types of cats and due to prices, and features, decided that I would try to find an older, yet blue water capable boat that I could fix up and enjoy. I found that boat this last August and bought it, a Witness Catamaran. It’s in good usable condition, but needs some work to make it great!
Maintenance type stuff is not a major issue for me; I’ve worked on many kinds of vehicles and crafts out there, owned a farm, and have custom cars that I work on once in a while, so it’s just digging in and learning what makes her tick.

My experience with sailing has been limited to sailing an 18 ft. Solcat, on a lake some years ago, and I had a blast! And I've had various power boats over the years as well. I know I need to learn a lot about sailing, but I also know that I can do it as I've already started doing so with this boat. This is the biggest boat I've ever owned at 35 feet, and the widest as well! It's already been a learning experience just getting her in and out of the slip, but with 2 engines, I'm learning that she maneuvers fantastic! Sailing her is a learning experience as well, but that is also coming along.

I have thought about hiring an instructor to come on board and teach me as I think it would be a great learning experience. I find it hard to think about paying for classes that are taught on a mono hull; something I’m not interested in a bit! For now I don’t see anything that should stop me from learning on my own at this point, after all, isn’t just doing it the way to learn? I don’t plan on making any major passages right now, just sticking to the bays and ICW to get use to her. At some point in the near future I will take her out in open water and see how she handles it, and how I handle it. From there, who knows!

I don’t think that lack of experience should necessarily hold anyone back from doing things that they are interested in doing. If Orville and Wilbur had thought that way, we might not have planes today. I am self-taught in a lot of what I know as there wasn’t always someone around that could teach me. I do a lot of reading so I gain knowledge that I can apply to my interests. I have made mistakes along the way for sure, but try to keep that to a minimum. So far it’s worked for me!

Have a great day!…Jeff
Cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 08:58   #48
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
twinkles,

Post 38 puts you way ahead of most newbies. My first car being an MGA I understand your ability to keep a motor running. You are making the right approach, and already have lived close to a cruiser's life. Get on any boat, and learn to sail. Maybe buy a 20-25ft boat, and sail the paint off her bottom. After all sailing is sailing with small variances. I went from a 30ft. mono to my cat. In reality there's not much difference, but there is some. BEST WISHES in moving forward into a wonderful life......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 06:27   #49

Boat: Lagoon 37
Twinkles
I disagree with some quotes and agree with some, (typical sailor), but one point I would make is that our cat is still being sold at the same price as when we bought it 4 years ago. So cats do hold their value. Other than that check out our web page and it details our entire trek from arm chair to livaboards. It may help! It goes through the learning experience, and bare boating to make sure we liked it! Then the choice of boats
www.svjusdreaming.com
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 07:11   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Yikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacket_fan View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana
The first time I had a near miss with a Lear jet. Took a while to get the heart rate back to normal.

You have had more than one close call with a Lear Jet?????
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 07:39   #51

Anecdotal information:
1) One of our new dock mates recently started sailing his new 46 footer. He handles it very well, enjoys being aboard, has sailed it up and down the coast and in the Bahama's. He told me he wished he had begun sailing years earlier.
2) Another new dock mate is recently retired. They bought a new boat and have thoroughly enjoyed it. They have done extended Great Lakes cruising and plan on sailing further afield next year. They are a young family that never sailed before.

Some people enjoy being aboard and some don't. If it's not your cup of tea you can sell the boat and go ashore but maybe you'll love it and cherish the time and money you invested. Don't worry, you'll will learn how to sail and the other associated activities surrounding sailing. I would however recomend a newer boat, ship systems aren't always easy to understand or service.

Good luck, you'll never know unless you try.

Cheers,

Joli
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 11:38   #52

Boat: Still planning
Quote:
You have had more than one close call with a Lear Jet?????
I poorly worded that comment. That was the only time I had a close call with a Lear. I suspect he saw me, but I only had about 20 hours flying time under my belt, but it was memorable.

twinkles, I noticed you are near Atlanta. Maybe you and I ought to get together and compare notes. I am in nearly the same situation as you. Sounds like you are making headway towards retirement.
Old 24-01-2010, 15:30   #53

We are making steady progress:
  • August 25-27, 2009 took ASA 101 on Lake Lanier here in Atlanta.
  • October 24-31, 2009 took ASA 103, 104, and 114.
  • December 25-January 1, 2009 Chartered a Moorings 35.2 in the BVIs.
  • January 30-February 7, 2010 have booked a Moorings 37.2 in the Abacos.
  • February 12-14, 2010 we have tickets to fly down and see the Strictly Sail in Miami. We are just “lookers.”

Next steps on the plan:

1. Charter a 38-40 cat, perhaps in St. Lucia. Our favorite day in the BVIs was going to Anegada, so a 50+ mile day going from St. Lucia to Grenada sounds great to us. We would like to do this during the off-season to save a buck or two.
2. Sometime this year, we want to complete ASA 105 (coastal navigation), ASA 107 (celestial), and 107 (advanced coastal cruising). We have been happy with the instruction we have received so far and might return to the same places, but we had three different instructors and I found the small differences between them added value, so I am considering going elsewhere for these classes—any recommendations?
3. In 2011, I have hopes of retiring and taking a Mahina Leg. The little woman wants to keep working and corporate slave is incompatible with a four week trip to the south Pacific, so I will be on my own for this one.
4. If we are still interested, then we will get serious.

Observations:

The Moorings had told us that they would put a “friendly captain” on the first day since we had never actually driven a boat by ourselves having only taken the ASA classes. We understood the Moorings point of view, but our own point of view was that it was time for us to make our own mistakes, figure it out and correct it. We spent some time anticipating what a “friendly captain” is looking for, and role playing to rehearse how to come across confident and knowledgeable, so that we could convince the “friendly captain” to let us go on our own. We can’t be sure if our preparation helped or not, or if it was just Christmas day and he wanted to go home, but after showing us around the boat, the “friendly captain” simply said, “sign here and I am out of your hair.” With that we cast off into a light rain which built steadily until we were in Francis Drake Channel. My wife commented that “we are the only boat heading out.” To which I retorted that it was probably because “we are the only beginners who are here today.”

For you salty monohull guys, we have really started to appreciate monohulls, especially the ones that seem to be “true blue” like the Hallberg Rassys, Pacific Seacrafts, and Hinkleys, but net-net, the math still seems to add up to a catamaran for the trade wind sailing we envision.
twinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 12:12   #54

Boat: Pearson 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
"Cost Effective?!?"

If it is cost effectiveness you want, don't buy a boat! They are lousy investments, in terms of financial return. If you add "fun" into the mix, then if you like sailing, traveling, meeting lots of really cool people, getting occasionally scared, learning lots of new stuff, having to keep on your toes (really good for 50+ year old brains), making great memories; then it is one of the best and most "cost effective" ways to do all of those. In my opinion.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

ID
I'm new to this forum. I grew up sailing the gulf coast on a Pearson 30 and now a Pearson 34. I'm only 44 years old but your reply on this post made me laugh hysterically. You could not be more right!!!!! I hope to read more of your posts as I am contemplating buying a large Lagoon and sailing the caribbean and south pacific for a few years. Merrick
merrick44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 17:09   #55

Hi Twinkles. my husband & I fit your description completely. We have just bought a completely refitted Chamberlin 44. Got everything on your list and more. Excellent design with protected helm position you can see from. Hope you found something similar.
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:07   #56

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Before you jump in get some sailing experience as others have said. Take some lessons, charter a cat and try it out. It takes many years of sailing before you know what you really want in a boat. What others prefer might not be to your liking and this boat will be for you and your spouse. I don't know how many years you're looking ahead but you should start now on the sailing bit. Worry about the boat when you're ready to buy. You are putting the cart before the horse.

You want a washing machine and air conditioning yet you don't list a generator. There is no mention of power generation at all and you will find, once you go cruising, this is a very important element to successful cruising. These are things you will come to grips with once you have a better idea of what type of "cruising" you're going to do.
I agree and disagree. Lessons are an absolute must. They will change how you look at the boats you may want to buy. Rather than looking at how the boat looks you will look at the components of the boat and what you need.

I don't think that it takes years of sailing experience.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:26   #57

About courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
I agree and disagree. Lessons are an absolute must. They will change how you look at the boats you may want to buy. Rather than looking at how the boat looks you will look at the components of the boat and what you need.

I don't think that it takes years of sailing experience. Maje
I agree and disagree, too. Lessons take many forms. There were no formal lessons available in 1960, so I joined the sailing club; the kayak club; and went racing. Then there were a few very experienced people still alive from the days of sail. An hour's chat with one of them was worth a week in most present day schools.

However, there is a good association and school here in BC that does courses by mail and online as well as practically: The International Sail and Power Academy ISPA - Sailing & Power Boat Instructions, Books, Certifications & Operator Cards Buy the book(s), answer the questions and get a pass for the paper portion of each level offered. I'd sail to New Zealand or Aussie, as well; then take one of the RYA courses available there. That would mean something after the sail.
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:36   #58

Thumbs up Catamaran cost ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I have read that catamarans have many attributes, but up to now none of them has been cost effectiveness.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that a catamaran can be double the cost of a mono. For cost effective I'd go with the trawler.
There is a wide variety of anecdotes: those around the Wharram community seem to indicate a combination of simplicity and good building technique, for those many that are well built, give a vessel at half the cost. If simplicity means a couple of 'ro, or yuloh' Chinese sculls, the cost will be that much less.

If green power is employed to power much of the electronic arsenal we are used to, the capital cost will be that much higher...

Oh! — and Siam Sailing offer Wharram skippered and bare boat charters at corresponding prices.....
Old 03-11-2010, 10:03   #59

Changes needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
Pblais
There is no scientific or medical evidence that would support your contention the people get smarter as they approach the end of their lives. We are all different, and some old people do maintain mental clarity and agility, but research studies indicate that the opposite is far more common. The deterioration, both physical and mental, of the human body begins at a surprisingly young age and continues steadily until our death.
Absolutely true ! Except that it is now becoming only part of a bigger, wider truth.

David Perlmutter, M.D.: Neurogenesis: How to Change Your Brain

I don't know how long enlightened scientists will be allowed to speak and write in the US so take the article while you can. There is also Sanoviv Medical Institute ; Orthomolecular Medicine ; Klinghardt Academy for the Healing Arts and Neurobiology - Official Website ~ to back up the ideas that modern illness is industrial toxic illness for the most part and can be reversed by getting rid of the toxins: including brain functions. I won't say any more on a cruising forum ~ in fact I'm trying to go see a good used Wharram...

Tags
retirement