Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 20:05   #181

Re: Ridiculous Seawind 1160 Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
no air-conditioning, no dishwasher, no washing machine and certainly no jacuzzi or sauna..
Sacre bleu! No wonder it's not slow. Perhaps I should look for a bar on a "properly equipped" SW1160, even though I couldn't afford to buy it?

Will watch out for your signal flags. Most will agree that getting people on board a cat for sundowners is very seldom a problem. Even the most ardent mono sailors have been known to "cross over to the dark side", briefly, for drinks on a catamaran. Still, I wish you well in your novel signal sales.
Old 07-03-2013, 21:16   #182

The complaint seems to be "I really want one, but don't understand why they cost so much!"

Well, maybe it's because quite a few "really want one".
Old 07-03-2013, 22:09   #183
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Drinking beer from a can!
Now you are really lowering the bar! LOL

Top comments Tuskie, keep em coming this tread has turned into a real hoot!
There is a good reason for that, apart from the no glass rule. Cans cool down much quicker than bottles, yes they warm up quicker of course but who drinks slowly? We used to anchor up for the night, drop a few cans over the side in a nylon net shopping bag and lower it to the bottom. After drinking the already cold ones you can pull up the bag and as long as it is more than 25' deep, after an hour and a half, perfectly drinkable temp.

PS never said I was high class did I?

Coops.
Old 07-03-2013, 22:53   #184

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Indeed you are correct Coops, the mere mention of Seawinds on here usually brings out the worst in certain people. Those people know who they are.
Now now
Old 08-03-2013, 11:07   #185

Boat: Seawind 1160 #50, 41 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I am watching this sale with interest. Hopefully someone will share the actual sale price once it is finalized (assuming the buyer doesn't back out). Since this 1160 failed to receive any bids at $325,000 (minimum bid) when it was placed at auction in January, I'm guessing it sells for $330,000. Otherwise I see no reason the buyer would not purchase the 1160 listed at $349,000 (Double-Wide) which had a better outfitting and history.

Still a far cry from the $449,000 asking price these boats were listed at a year ago...

Sorry SMJ, at least in America the Seawinds aren't holding their value.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:14   #186
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnfish View Post

I am watching this sale with interest. Hopefully someone will share the actual sale price once it is finalized (assuming the buyer doesn't back out). Since this 1160 failed to receive any bids at $325,000 (minimum bid) when it was placed at auction in January, I'm guessing it sells for $330,000. Otherwise I see no reason the buyer would not purchase the 1160 listed at $349,000 (Double-Wide) which had a better outfitting and history.

Still a far cry from the $449,000 asking price these boats were listed at a year ago...

Sorry SMJ, at least in America the Seawinds aren't holding their value.
We've owned two Seawind 1000's in the last three years and haven't lost a penny on either. If you figure the hours we had working on them they didn't produce a very high hourly rate but it is a labor of love right?
Old 08-03-2013, 12:15   #187

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Well, I like Seawinds. But then I like most cats. And tris. And monos. And gas guzzling power boats. And dinghys. Oh hell. I just plain like boats.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:45   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We've owned two Seawind 1000's in the last three years and haven't lost a penny on either. If you figure the hours we had working on them they didn't produce a very high hourly rate but it is a labor of love right?
As I mentioned before, you have done a good job selling your boats and I'm sure your knowledge/experience/salesmanship all helped you to breakeven or make money on your two 1000s. However, I would also point out that a 17 year old boat will already have reach a depreciation plateau where the prices are more stable and lower (when compared to a new boat).

The 1160s are less than 10 years old and I would argue have not yet reached the point where your 1000 was (when you bought and when you sold). Wait until 2015/2016 and there will probably be a steep decline (unless the economy forces prices down sooner) as the guys driving the prices up will want the "new" shinny toy and not one that is 10 years old with a few dings. As always, just my 2 cents...
Old 08-03-2013, 12:54   #189
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:

As I mentioned before, you have done a good job selling your boats and I'm sure your knowledge/experience/salesmanship all helped you to breakeven or make money on your two 1000s. However, I would also point out that a 17 year old boat will already have reach a depreciation plateau where the prices are more stable and lower (when compared to a new boat).

The 1160s are less than 10 years old and I would argue have not yet reached the point where your 1000 was (when you bought and when you sold). Wait until 2015/2016 and there will probably be a steep decline (unless the economy forces prices down sooner) as the guys driving the prices up will want the "new" shinny toy and not one that is 10 years old with a few dings. As always, just my 2 cents...
I think you are probably right. And yes the 1160 I believe has taken a pretty good hit in selling prices.
Old 08-03-2013, 18:11   #190

Boat: between boats
Interesting to note that from start of this thread till now an aussie buyer chasing the cheaper US versions would be forking out around $AUD 18 grand more due to a supposedly improving US economy and the rampant USD lately....
Old 08-03-2013, 19:57   #191

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
I have inspected Seawinds a few times.

Please pardon my ignorance but what are thier strengths v's the other cats mentioned here?
There are some one eyed seawind people around who love them
Old 08-03-2013, 20:30   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
I have inspected Seawinds a few times.

Please pardon my ignorance but what are thier strengths v's the other cats mentioned here?
There are some one eyed seawind people around who love them
Much is opinion but mine would be:
1. Good sailing performance compared to other cats
2. Excellent visibility
3. Very open feeling with retractable salon doors
4. Solid design and quality manufacturing
5. The appearance is better than the mass produced look to Leopards and Lagoons
Old 08-03-2013, 20:45   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
The complaint seems to be "I really want one, but don't understand why they cost so much!".
The second part is true, not sure about the first part.

There will always be those who pay more for things than I think they are worth. I'm sure this is the case for everyone else too. Those paying the higher price obviously think that they are getting "good value", I presume. But I don't see the value. Secondhand SW1160s at the prices asked in Australia fall into this category for me.

Most "prestige cars" fall into this category for me, although I have paid a similar price for a large 4WD, that I thought was good value.

Don't assume for one minute,however, that high price guarantees quality. Most of us have seen many examples of over priced crap to believe that. My brother in law, an auto electrician, once showed me the broken steering column switch gear on a near new Ferrari. He point out that it was identical to a Fiat's and both were crap!

I'm sure Seawind uses superior electrical switches!
Old 08-03-2013, 21:57   #194
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Much is opinion but mine would be:
1. Good sailing performance compared to other cats
2. Excellent visibility
3. Very open feeling with retractable salon doors
4. Solid design and quality manufacturing
5. The appearance is better than the mass produced look to Leopards and Lagoons
Following mnfish's numbering seriatim, our opinion (applied to the SW1160) would be...

1. They sail well, although within the Seawind 'stable' we would rate them below both the SW1000 and the SW1250. As regards other production cats, again they sail well, but others are better suited to long blue water cruising for load carrying, less slamming and so on.
2. The 1160 offers better visibility than most cats, including both production (Seawind and others) and one-offs. That said, the 1160 visiblity is (in our view) no where near (not even close) as good all around as some of the Lagoons.
3. The 1160 retractable doors are very clever and very useful. In the salon, the 1160 headroom is restricted forward of the salon table, altho certainly no more so than other cats with sloping forward windows. The rest of the open feeling on the SW1160 bridgedeck is the result of the galley down, but that layout carries issues of its own of course. Within the hulls, the 1160's feel more confined than either the FP's or Lagoons with the latter's 'fat' hulls.
4. Definitely agree. Seawind enjoy an enviable reputation for both quality build and backup. That said, perhaps it should be noted that 'the jury is still out' regarding the new 1160, no longer built in Australia..
5. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We love flat decks and vertical windows; to us they look superb and very seaworthy, from both inside and out!
Old 08-03-2013, 22:39   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
The second part is true, not sure about the first part.
If you're not interested in buying one, why would you give a rat's arse what they cost? Especially why would you care that they seem expensive? That just makes your boat look like better value.

For mine, high Seawind prices suit me just fine. The higher the better. High prices for ANY catamaran sounds good to me!

I know a major gripe about cat's is that they are so expensive. But since I already own one, I don't care!
Closed Thread

Tags
Seawind