Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 05:09   #1

Rigger Suggestions

Hi all,
Was wondering if any of you esteemed members could recommend any riggers in the windwards / leewards? I need to start looking at replacing standing rigging for a bahia 46 and I'm looking for a rigger who can do the whole job right the first time if you know what I mean ;-). This boat is heading into the pacific this year so I want to be sure its done properly. This boat is at rodney bay right now but I can move it wherever.

Having said that, on the flip side of the coin, has anybody here had a go with synthetic rigging yet? The benefits of the weight reduction up high will make a big difference on this boat me thinks, even though for an older production boat she sails quite well as it is. I spent some time on a gunboat last month and loved the 'simplicity' of its standing rigging where it can be user tweaked and/or components replaced fairly easily.

Any suggestions / discussion on either above greatly appreciated.

Best
Doe818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 16:37   #2

Boat: Boatless
I had my rig worked on in Fajardo Puerto Rico and Prickly Bay Grenada and it is a miracle that it is still standing.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 20:46   #3
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
FKG in St. Maarten is one of the largest in the Leewards. They replaced my standing and martengale and I thought it was a fair price. In regards to the synthetic, I don't know but a Bahia isn't a Gunboat, never will be. But I think they are fast enough.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:19   #4

thanks for the st martin recom. Yes a bahia will never be a gunboat...then again not much else would come very close to 30+ knots unless it was reaching 60 degrees off a large mineshaft. I mentioned it only because its the first boat I've been on that had synthetic rigging and I like the way it works, I think any cat would benefit from it ultimately.
Doe818 is offline   Reply With Quote