Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 10:31   #1

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Salon Remodeling

On this blog SV Roam Dolphin 460 Catamaran
I read the below and had to scream YES! Has anyone else done something like this? Any idea of the cost? It would be great to have a piece of it facing forward for standing (sitting) on watch. Hello Cat Designers, take note. The more I hear about troubles with new boats, the more I'm tempted to remodel and older larger boat.

Salon Remodeling (link: Remodelling and Equipment Changes and Additions)
Actually, this project is underway as I write this (November 2007). The basic problem is this: for some reason, most cat builders/designers view the bridgedeck area as a place for a kitchen and dining room. So, they devote an enormous amount of space to make a large dining room table. Yes, many offer options to lower the table and reduce it in size for after dinner lounging, but it's still a dining room. In the case of the Dolphin, there is a circular dining couch with a very narrow seat and very upright seat back. Besides not being very comfortable to sit in, the round shape eliminates corners to tuck into. Not very practical or comfortable for long night watches where weather forced us inside.

I think designers should view the bridgedeck as a place for a galley and a family room, which could also be used for eating when needed. The reality is that, in the tropics, you eat your meals at the cockpit table, unless it's raining. So, we are tearing out the narrow, round couch and replacing it with two straight, wide couches with angled back cushions. The couches will be places to read a book, watch a movie or stretch out and take a nap (one is 7+ feet long and the other is 6+ feet). We'll also gain storage and better access to storage, and we'll have a net loss of weight in the boat.

Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:39   #2

Mark,

I could not agree more. My layout for the pefect salon/cockpit, is to have them similar in size with tables that are enterchangable. A small coffee table and a full size dining table. When you want to dine alfresco you move the dining table to the cocpit and convert your salon to a seating area with a coffee table or vise versa. I believe the Lagoon 42 and mabey the new 400 have this feature/layout.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:11   #3

Those great looking curved settes are terrible. You cant lounge and support your back while reading etc. My Lagoon 42 had a huge cockpit table that folded up full width. In the Bahamas we cooked a ham dinner for Thanksgiving and had 18 aboard around that table!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:22   #4

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Frankly that's one of the reasons I like the galley down on the St Francis. You have a nice L shaped settee, plenty of room to lay down, and you have a lot of open floor space where you can stand and converse or the kids can play around. When you get rid of that big counter going through the middle of the room you have a wonderful family room. The PDQ 44 is similar in terms of general layout (very different in finish though at twice the price.) A friend went with us through the annapolis boat show and looked at all of the catamarans and when they got back their comment was that ours was the most liveable design they'd seen. 95% of the time you not cooking or eating, so that huge dining table and the galley counter are simply in the way. BTW, the PDQ (now Antares 44) has it so their table folds in half and slides out and back so it can be either a big dining table with room for 6 or a smaller coffee table.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:56   #5

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaco View Post
Mark,

I could not agree more. My layout for the pefect salon/cockpit, is to have them similar in size with tables that are enterchangable. A small coffee table and a full size dining table. When you want to dine alfresco you move the dining table to the cocpit and convert your salon to a seating area with a coffee table or vise versa. I believe the Lagoon 42 and mabey the new 400 have this feature/layout.
Yes the 420 is a step in the right direction, but in addition to the layout, the other crucial factor is the "narrow seat and very upright seat back", Maybe it's just that I'm 6'4", but a "couch" has a very different feel to any "built in" I've ever been on. I know you give up storage space, but how about just leaving the salon open and let me put on of these:

Stressless Pegasus :: Ekornes

I know, I know, the hard core sailors are gagging, but hey for a liveaboard, a good couch, recliner, reading chair, lounging couch, whatever is one of the most important parts of the boat. After all it's a cat, you don't need to be strapped in.

While, I'm on a rant, also get rid of the lip around the mattresses in the bunks. Again, it's a cat, the mattress isn't going any where. Save our knees or the back of our legs getting in and out of bed.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 13:26   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Mark424,

I have one of those plastic Andaronick chairs in my salon. I put some cushy cushions on it, and sometimes find myself falling asleep in it......
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 13:54   #7

"I know, I know, the hard core sailors are gagging, but hey for a liveaboard...."

Yea, but those guys aren't happy if the cushions, pots and pans aren't rattling around the floor!
They dont understand that the world is flat!
Now that should start something................... DOH
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 15:33   #8

couches, dining rooms, living rooms!! You guys crack me up....

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 13:09   #9

This has always been something that's bugged me about boats - most of them (unless you're spending a fortune) don't really have comfortable seats just for sitting on. They are usually set up around a table, and are usually too upright.

I actually bought a modular lounge suite to furnish my salon. I'm only going to use the cushions and some of the fabric, I've built bases to suit from lighter material than the furniture was made from. I'll end up with very comfortable seats for a much lower price than getting an upholsterer in to do a custom job.

There's also a dining area, and the table will also be movable to the cockpit
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 17:06   #10

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
[quote=Mark424;212940]On this blog SV Roam Dolphin 460 Catamaran
I read the below and had to scream YES!

Mark,

I had the same reaction. I have no use for a large dining room table as 99% of the time it is just my girlfriend and I. The other 1% is the addition of another couple. Any more than that is a party and I would rather have it on someone else's boat.

When she moved into the tiny studio where she now lives my girlfriend had no kitchen or table. I built her a countertop/bar which has worked out so well we are going to use the same concept for the boat. This makes for a large galley countertop that will also seat 4. The reality is that we will only use this area for dining when the weather is lousy. Cats have a wonderfull, built-in patio out back that is sheltered from sun, wind and rain. Perfect place for meals in warm weather.

This frees up a large area in the saloon for truly comfortable seating. We will have a large couch/daybed and a place for a recliner or beanbags.

It amazes me that manufacturers are still building saloons with circular settees.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:38   #11
Eternal Member

A table in the salon can make a nice quarter berth. This is after a full night of 20+ degree weather at low to mid teen sailing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhausted Mel.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	5415   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGINE SALON.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	5417  

Old 09-10-2008, 09:59   #12

Boat: privilege 37
have tried to up load some picks of our saloon mods and have put them on my gallery as i dont know how to past them in to a post.
they up loaded but dont seem to be on my page is there a vetting process for images that might explane the delay?
if not then i seem to have lost them in the system
put them under multihull and under saloon !!!
philip van praag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:14   #13

ok click on my name go to public profile and then my album
tell me what you think
all in black leather and new table top on oldl base which was moved
Old 09-10-2008, 10:18   #14
Eternal Member

http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...imageuser=6903
Old 09-10-2008, 10:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
thanks for the link but does not seem to show the picks i wanted but they are on my profile

Tags
salon