Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2007, 11:11   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Scape catamaran

This 39' South African catamaran has a lot of bridgedeck clearance- about 4 feet. (and it looks fast! It's imported by the Multihull Source, runs about $350,000 and will be at the Miami boatshow in February.

SCape CD
Old 05-11-2007, 03:19   #2

I had a look at one in build this morning! They make a seriously mean little cat! 39', and they have a photo of a daysailor version flying a hull in their office! I believe her owner's an extremely competent racing-skipper, but there you go! The rest of their production seems to be for the day-charter market, but they do a number of models built around their 39' platform. They also showed me some pics from their Sport Cruiser, which is a tropical ocean-crossing machine. It's not your average cruising cat, but if you're going anywhere in a hurry, it's got all the goodies to get you there fast. I really like what they're doing- it's refreshingly unusual and pretty much different to the rest of the SA offerings!
Splash Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:55   #3

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
Lightbulb good proportions...

It's a real nice looking cat, and it seems like it should sail properly as well. you'd probably want the version with the hard nacelle if you were to cruise. (Not that it would be necessary) It's rare to see a cat that is properly proportioned for its length!

SCape CD/Sailing Shots
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:20   #4
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
There is no way a 39 ft cat should be able to fly a hull with a mainsail and working jib, especially in flat water. The only people who should buy this boat are the ones who want a larger Hobie Cat.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:09   #5

Boat: now floating easy37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
There is no way a 39 ft cat should be able to fly a hull with a mainsail and working jib, especially in flat water. The only people who should buy this boat are the ones who want a larger Hobie Cat.
i cant help but agree with this
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:30   #6

Boat: Privilege 39
My wife and I were taking a stroll across the Golden Gate Bridge a couple of weeks ago just in time to see a cat that had to be 35-40' flying a hull as it went under the bridge.

But, this was no cruising cat. I don't know what it was, but it was essentially like rickm says, a big Hobie Cat. Looked like a pretty exciting ride, and the thing was just amazingly fast. I wonder what the PHRF rating is for something like that.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:33   #7

Different cats for different types

Quote:
Then you should never consider getting a GUNBOAT. All models WILL fly a hull. But, you may not like that type of cat. It's not for everyone. Just because the boat can fly a hull does not mean it is not seaworthy. If your sails are properly reefed and trimmed I'm sure this boat could handle VERY strong winds with ease. It is for the advanced sailor. (Not saying that you aren't) It just may not be your interest to cruise FAST. Flying a hull is a choice, and if you can't control it you'd best not skipper the boat your aboard. (Unless its a beach cat within swimming distance of shore)

Many people buy catamarans because they think they are fast, but the reality is that many aren't. To me it is a major selling point on a cat. I'm not that concerned with sailing flat. At a certain point I prefer a monohull if the cat is too fat.

If you want a big Hobie then you would more likely get a Formula 40 or something along those lines. They are MUCH faster than this cat. You wouldn't want a solid wingbridge if your only goal was speed.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:30   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
No offense intended, but it seems more like a daysailor or a weekender than a boat you would want to spend months or years aboard. Nothing wrong with that though. Catamarans should not be dogs. Fast is fun.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:34   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
My wife and I were taking a stroll across the Golden Gate Bridge a couple of weeks ago just in time to see a cat that had to be 35-40' flying a hull as it went under the bridge.

But, this was no cruising cat. I don't know what it was, but it was essentially like rickm says, a big Hobie Cat. Looked like a pretty exciting ride, and the thing was just amazingly fast. I wonder what the PHRF rating is for something like that.
I think I know the boat you are talking about...a boat fitting that description was tied up in my marina for a while. It had all carbon fiber spars and crossbeams. It looked like a giant NACRA cat. Blue hulls?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:45   #10
cruiser

Comparing that boat to a Gunboat is a bit overboard. A Gunboat is built of Carbon Fiber and Kevlar and is designed to take the loads imposed by taking the boat and standing it on one hull. No one has suggested that this boat is similarly constructed or even designed to lift 20,000 lbs without overstressing the hull. With the exception of the Gunboat, I don't believe that any other cruising cats I'm aware of is, based on the materials used to construct them. The stresses involved are similar to what happens to monohulls when stressed and restressed over time. The hulls turn to elastics as the fiberglass threads breakdown.

Perhaps I should restate this to read that Racing Cats lift hulls ... Cruising Cats cruise.
Old 06-11-2007, 17:59   #11

Quote:
Comparing that boat to a Gunboat is a bit overboard. A Gunboat is built of Carbon Fiber and Kevlar and is designed to take the loads imposed by taking the boat and standing it on one hull. No one has suggested that this boat is similarly constructed or even designed to lift 20,000 lbs without overstressing the hull. With the exception of the Gunboat, I don't believe that any other cruising cats I'm aware of is, based on the materials used to construct them. The stresses involved are similar to what happens to monohulls when stressed and restressed over time. The hulls turn to elastics as the fiberglass threads breakdown.

Perhaps I should restate this to read that Racing Cats lift hulls ... Cruising Cats cruise.
I was not intending to directly compare this boat to a Gunboat, except for the fact that they both CAN fly a hull. This does not mean you would wish too while cruising on either boat. The Scape with max load capacity is about 20000 pounds. (5500 kg bare + 4000kg load capacity) Are you suggesting it would break apart if flying a hull at this weight? By no means is it necessary to build a high performance cruising cat out of Carbon and Kevlar. It just isn't true. It may be lighter. But it is not a requirement. How about an Outremer? I'll bet you could fly a hull on one of those if you wanted too. They aren't carbon/kevlar. There are many other high performance cruising cats. But you aren't going to see a company like "moorings" using them as charter boats.

Outremer catamarans

The Scape would be a very minimal cruiser. However my taste in catamarans would require at least a 48' cat for condo like accomadations. I guess it's all preference in the end.
Old 06-11-2007, 19:17   #12
cruiser

What I'm saying is that the boat wouldn't last very long.
Old 06-11-2007, 22:42   #13

Quote:
Exactly! If cruising cats were meant to fly a hull, we'd only have one hull, and look where we'd be all over again! Two hulls is the product of genetics and good breeding, I believe!
But as I said, the good folks at Scape built one of their earlier boats for one of South Africa's more manic racing skippers who nursed the boat up onto one hull and back again for a laugh, and got some impressive piccies. I have seen two of their boats configured for day-charter work working pretty hard- Fujicat - Boat Charters - Catamaran Cruises - V & A Waterfront, Cape Town is one of them, and I believe they have a number States-side and elsewhere. They look like they're not afraid of being worked hard, and I guess only time will tell how tourist-proof they are!
Splash Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote