Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2018, 01:35   #16

Re: Schionning Arrow 1200 - Propulsion (Current Marine?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
Well, if you'd let me bring a 6 pack/bottle of whisky on board perhaps I could view Bob's drop down legs [emoji6] hahaha. Just jokes mate.
We're more or less Sydney bound over the next couple of weeks or so, so we could probably organise something.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 15:55   #17
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
We're more or less Sydney bound over the next couple of weeks or so, so we could probably organise something.
Cheers, Alan. You can take your pick from the attached photo, if you like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1543571025958.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	181511
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:53   #18

Good luck with anything from current marine that doesn't fall down. Heard they had two of their masts fail in the Caribbean earlier this year
Doe818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:17   #19

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe818 View Post
Good luck with anything from current marine that doesn't fall down. Heard they had two of their masts fail in the Caribbean earlier this year
Current marine dosent build the masts, the ones here (Knysna) that I can see are sparcraft.

But, this is interesting. I've noticed all of them here are single spreader masts, there's a bigger 50ish schionning directly behind a Knysna 500, similar size, similar height rig. The Knysna 500 has a sparcraft two spreader rig while the schionning has the single spreader sparcraft.

I'm certainly no rigging expert, what would the reasoning be behind the single spread a rig on such a powerful boat?
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 14:52   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Current marine dosent build the masts, the ones here (Knysna) that I can see are sparcraft.

But, this is interesting. I've noticed all of them here are single spreader masts, there's a bigger 50ish schionning directly behind a Knysna 500, similar size, similar height rig. The Knysna 500 has a sparcraft two spreader rig while the schionning has the single spreader sparcraft.

I'm certainly no rigging expert, what would the reasoning be behind the single spread a rig on such a powerful boat?
Current Marine also started Current Spars so they could supply their own. From their website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Current Marine Website
After Current Marine was established as the yard building performance multihulls we set out to seek a carbon spar supplier in South Africa to build carbon rotating wing masts, at took the challenge to develop our own hence we started Current Spars primarily developed for our in-house projects and later to supply private and yacht building yards abroad and in South Africa. We steadily developed this division using our company’s strong skills in resin infusion which has constantly been developed as our base in the division of Current Composites which manufactures Composite infused cored panels primarily in the construction under license to Schionning designs pre-manufactured catamarans in flat pack components. Current Composites has an in house developed custom CNC router bed capable of cutting 12mx2, 75m which we use to manufacture the standard composite cored panels sizes of 12mx2.4m.

Current Spars builds carbon fixed and rotating wing masts along with composites wing booms.
The Current Spars gallery has a number of single spreader masts displayed. Are you sure the ones you've seen are Sparcraft, not Current Spars?
Old 01-12-2018, 21:05   #21

Hi tp12, yep fairly certain, at least the one I can walk upto is a sparcraft, it's got the little sparcraft sticker on the side. I took note because I was comparing the two rigs.

I can't say for sure that the other two with masts here a sparcraft as I haven't been that close, but from a distance they look to be, also single spreader rigs.

They're aluminium not carbon.

The arrow and another new one don't have masts yet.
Old 01-12-2018, 23:18   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Hi tp12, yep fairly certain, at least the one I can walk upto is a sparcraft, it's got the little sparcraft sticker on the side. I took note because I was comparing the two rigs.

I can't say for sure that the other two with masts here a sparcraft as I haven't been that close, but from a distance they look to be, also single spreader rigs.

They're aluminium not carbon.

The arrow and another new one don't have masts yet.
Ah ok, cool, thanks for letting me know.

Cheers, Dale
Old 01-12-2018, 23:52   #23

A complaint I've heard several times about Schionnings is that the decks/ coach roof etc are to round, which is a problem at sea, I was speaking to a guy this morning that just delivered one from Madagascar to here and this was his complaint, which I've herd before. I've been on them but never in a seaway therefore don't have an opinion.

This maybe something the Arrow build solves, being a flat pack build it dosent have that roundness from what I can see.

The other thing I don't like about the Schionnings (and I do like them) is they might as well not have forward cabin windows. Everyone I've been on in the the tropics has the slanted windows completely covered due to heat, can't see out of them. The Arrow has vertical windows that look good and seem more functional IMO.
Old 02-12-2018, 14:05   #24
cruiser

Quote:
A complaint I've heard several times about Schionnings is that the decks/ coach roof etc are to round, which is a problem at sea, I was speaking to a guy this morning that just delivered one from Madagascar to here and this was his complaint, which I've herd before. I've been on them but never in a seaway therefore don't have an opinion.

This maybe something the Arrow build solves, being a flat pack build it dosent have that roundness from what I can see.

The other thing I don't like about the Schionnings (and I do like them) is they might as well not have forward cabin windows. Everyone I've been on in the the tropics has the slanted windows completely covered due to heat, can't see out of them. The Arrow has vertical windows that look good and seem more functional IMO.
I've heard that, too. From what I understand it's fairly easy, no matter which design you want, to go flat on top like the Arrow designs. Flat on top of the hulls and round on the bottom seems to be the general consensus and makes sense to me.
Old 02-12-2018, 14:20   #25

Quote:

I do think Schionning to some extent sacrifices practicality for the sake of aesthetics.

The heavily rounded hull to deck join is one example, another being the steeply raked bridgedeck cabin sides, which give a sleek look, but makes it neccessary to reverse down the stairs into the hulls.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 15:02   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I do think Schionning to some extent sacrifices practicality for the sake of aesthetics.

The heavily rounded hull to deck join is one example, another being the steeply raked bridgedeck cabin sides, which give a sleek look, but makes it neccessary to reverse down the stairs into the hulls.
And minor improvements in windage? Or are the practicalities there not worth dismissing for the sake of having the sexiest boat in the anchorage and being a wee bit slipperier [emoji2]

Tags
marine, current, propulsion