Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2016, 15:53   #16

Re: Screecher vs. Code 0- Help Deciding

Laguna Red,

If you look on the Lagoon website and the imbedded video....
Lagoon catamarans : building, sale and chartering of luxury cruising catamarans

From 2:16 on it shows the Incidences version of what they call a "Code Zero".
This is what I call a screecher in that it is mounted on the sprint, the luff is always tight to very tight and the sheet runs outside the shrouds to the same turning bocks aft as the ASI/API, with a somewhat flat belly with the centre of effort well forward. When sheeted in, the sail comes to rest on the shrouds.

I see Lagoon sell this as an option and is 152sqm.

Whether by Incidences or by you local sail maker, this would be my #1 recommendation as the sail that meets your criteria of ease of use/no fuss/etc. I'd be sure you would get significantly better performance in the 70-140AWA range. When on a deep reach, you would ease the halyard just a little, but otherwise it would be tight as required to furl.

Cheers.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 22:28   #17

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

code 0 triangle up wind/ ground 0 gigantic mast head back to push pit down wind /o Jesus is spinnaker poled out one side / genoa poled out the other (not recommended for trailer sailors) / we have one small jenniker on board it looks like a heavy spinnaker cloth reacher / hardly ever use it since we put a furler in the forestay / much easier to unfurl the no.1 and be 1 knot slower than unfurl the no.1 then remove the no.1 and hank on the jenniker / a small block attached to the moving side of the top swivel and a ronstan furler on the bowsprit allows the use of furlable hanked on headsails / your choice of either headsail / choose the better quality sail an hour difference in your time is possibly an advantage unless you are racing for line honours
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:44   #18

Boat: Seawind 1160 38' # 60

To simple-fie terminology . what I have learned after 8 years of sailing our Seawind 1160 is that my next sail is a 135 big flat head sail to be used up to 15 knots . you can never point high enough with any kind of running sail and if you live in laguna beach and sail out of Newport ? you will need a big sail that lets you point , you can always ease the sail out . We have a screecher and its a fast sail but if you want to get anywhere its not going to let you point . I plan to keep the screecher or go to a asymmetrical spinnaker . I think on some of the newer Cats this Mono hull type of sail is showing up . If you will be sailing out of So Cal I am sure our paths will cross Dave , Christie and Happy Mark S/ Cat Bama Breeze
David Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:07   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 46 catamaran

[QUOTE=2Wind;2178529]Laguna Red,

If you look on the Lagoon website and the imbedded video....
Lagoon catamarans : building, sale and chartering of luxury cruising catamarans

From 2:16 on it shows the Incidences version of what they call a "Code Zero".
This is what I call a screecher in that it is mounted on the sprint, the luff is always tight to very tight and the sheet runs outside the shrouds to the same turning bocks aft as the ASI/API, with a somewhat flat belly with the centre of effort well forward. When sheeted in, the sail comes to rest on the shrouds.

Whether by Incidences or by you local sail maker, this would be my #1 recommendation as the sail that meets your criteria of ease of use/no fuss/etc. I'd be sure you would get significantly better performance in the 70-140AWA range. When on a deep reach, you would ease the halyard just a little, but otherwise it would be tight as required to furl.

Screachers have become a smaller sail tacked to a bow sprit and sheeted inside the shrouds to be used upwind in light air as well as reaching.
This Lagoon 52 link shows what most sailmakers refer to as a Code 0. It will be much larger than a screacher, use a bow sprit, a tight luff, and sheet outside the shrouds
I agree fully, If adding only one more sail to a main and jib set, this would be the one to choose. If adding a screacher, an asymmetrical spinnaker would be nice.
davecalvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:33   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep.

The video shows her under a cruising version of a C0 sail up first (just after the legs) and later the black kite is a nylon reacher - a better sail for genaral reaching conditions in light and mid air but pretty useless if you get a header or if you eased the sheets first and want to come up later.

A very sweet combo with the nylon kite nearly useful in broad reaching moments too. Very all-round.

Then a boat that optimises for plenty of downwind sailing will either fly a G2 kite or else may elect to transfer the black one's tack to the windward hull. A plain symmetric spinnaker flown between the hulls is a killer too.

If you want to sail, if you like to sail, these sails are what you are buying next.

That square top main is a nice tool too, for sure.

Funnily enough, I had to watch the video twice before noticing the sails shown after the legs disappeared.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 15:32   #21

Boat: LAGOON 400

i cant get it why people say screecher on multi can go up to 60 app. Lagoon site says it can go 60 true.

So I tried myself.

Mine can sail 35 app in light winds, which is actually 60 true and adds around 0.5kn to speed. Water has to be reasonably flat though and can do only up to 15 kn app. Perfectly flat water would probably add more speed over jib.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 16:14   #22

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

For those who are new to Code 0's', and to clear up misconceptions about them & the term Code 0, here's the story.

The origins of (true) Code 0's lay in the Volvo Ocean Race, several race cycles back. Where under the class rules, each boat was only allowed a fixed number of sails per leg & for the race, total. In this specific case, the limit on the number of genoas allowed per boat was the issue. So Code 0's were conceived to be measured under the rules as spinnakers, but to perform much akin to very big jibs.

One team came up with them, & hoisted one early in a leg of the race. And before the boats made the next port, every other team had there own version of the sail.
As one might imagine, the shapes, materials, techniques, & hardware for them have changed & evolved a bit. But the forms (shapes) are as stable as they're likely to get. As the shape differs slightly for each boat type, in order to best match that boat's performance characteristics. And in their true form, they're a fairly specialized sail.

So primarily, they're still a type of big, loose luffed jib, but with areas almost on par with a spinnaker. And they're usually flown on furlers, with luff loads being close to the highest of any lines on the boat. Except perhaps for the runners which serve as backstays on boats which don't have fixed ones.
There's some more info on them here, to some degree including hardware, & techniques used with them/how they're flown http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-163122.html

If you're thinking about one, make sure you're on the same page, terminology wise, with whoever you're talking to. And also keep in mind that a true Code 0 is a highly specialized sail, originally designed to be flown from by a VERY high performance boat, over a fairly narrow range of wind angles & speeds. Yep, they can be de-tuned, & cut for a broader wind envelope. But then they're no longer Code 0's, are they.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:42   #23

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I would buy none for the Caribbean, as you either motor upwind (say approaching an anchorage) or else fast beam reaching (or nearly so) between the islands. This is so in the windwards, maybe a bit less so in the leewards.

Cheers,
b.
We have spent the past two seasons in the Caribbean, and us our spinnaker enough to make it worth the money. Just two examples, the run from St. Martin to the BVI or St. Thomas and almost all the way from PR to Miami.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote