Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2020, 18:11   #91
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Seawind 1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Maybe. From the pic its impossible to distinguish whether that is a 1000 or an 1160. There have been several masts on 1160s, as the boat was made in both Australia and Vietnam.

Is there more pics of that boat, to certify it is an 1160?
Looks 1160 to me, jib track looks to be curved? Certainly I know the All Yacht Spars rigged boats are all fixed base so maybe while Temp Spars were doing the masts they used the Tempo Spars folding base. The attached photo is from another early 1160, Champagne on Ice and looks to have the hinged base.

But this is a little academic, Whilst it was possible to fold the mast on my 1000XL it wasn't easy or simple or something I would want to do unless tied up and in a very still marina area with little wind. Certainly wouldn't be any easier on an 1160 sized rig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 11.07.02.png
Views:	93
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	216158  
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 03:42   #92

Sure, it's listed on yachtworld with many pictures, including 1 or 2 that show the base of the mast. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...-1160-3542334/
I saw it in person, and liked that boat very much. Sadly, it's under contract now.
I just had a survey done on a 1000XL yesterday. (in Stuart, FL) Nice boat also, but not 1160 nice! Then again, not 1160 priced...
Osteopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 06:05   #93

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteopic View Post
Sure, it's listed on yachtworld with many pictures, including 1 or 2 that show the base of the mast. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...-1160-3542334/

I saw it in person, and liked that boat very much. Sadly, it's under contract now.

I just had a survey done on a 1000XL yesterday. (in Stuart, FL) Nice boat also, but not 1160 nice! Then again, not 1160 priced...
Well i learned something. Again, while Seawind published a procedure for lowering the mast on the 1000, i have never seen one for the 1160. Thats a beast of a mast section.

We owned a 1000 for 12 years. Loved the boat, daysailed, raced, and even cruised from Texas to Bahamas and back. The 1000XL was a very good improvement with better flow off the stern, as well as much easier getting on and off the dinghy.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 08:18   #94

“ But this is a little academic, Whilst it was possible to fold the mast on my 1000XL it wasn't easy or simple or something I would want to do unless tied up and in a very still marina area with little wind. Certainly wouldn't be any easier on an 1160 sized rig.”
You’re right, Factor. I had been thinking that maybe I could use a tilting mast on an 1160 to get it under a 54’ bridge near my house (where I have a dock in my backyard). But in the course of doing a survey on a 1000XL yesterday, I insisted on seeing exactly how to lower the mast. That was such a P.I.T.A. that if I had to do that every time I want to go sailing, I would never want to go sailing! Bummer. So, looking at the 1000XL - which should just barely fit under the bridge.
Osteopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 16:46   #95

We cruised along with that SW1000XL in the Bahamas in 2016. There were actually four of us on Seawinds working thru the islands for a couple of months. He was original and only owner, bought it new. Pretty well optioned boat. Super nice couple. He actually lowered that mast several times as he kept the boat in Talahasee and lowered the mast to cut across the Ockachobee on the way to east coast Florida and then the Bahamas.
Old 03-06-2020, 16:57   #96
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
We cruised along with that SW1000XL in the Bahamas in 2016. There were actually four of us on Seawinds working thru the islands for a couple of months. He was original and only owner, bought it new. Pretty well optioned boat. Super nice couple. He actually lowered that mast several times as he kept the boat in Talahasee and lowered the mast to cut across the Ockachobee on the way to east coast Florida and then the Bahamas.

If I remember correctly, Arvid, the original US Seawind importer use to deliver the Seawind 1000 across the Okeechobee singlehanded and had no problem dropping the mast.
Also I believe one of the 4 Seawind owners who cruised the Bahamas with you has also dropped his mast a couple of times to pass under a low bridge. The first time was a learning experience, after that, piece of cake!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 19:25   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
If I remember correctly, Arvid, the original US Seawind importer use to deliver the Seawind 1000 across the Okeechobee singlehanded and had no problem dropping the mast.
Also I believe one of the 4 Seawind owners who cruised the Bahamas with you has also dropped his mast a couple of times to pass under a low bridge. The first time was a learning experience, after that, piece of cake!
Three of the four had done it. Ted, Frank and Rusty. We were the only ones that chickened out and just sailed around the Everglades.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:07   #98

Boat: Having a Stealth X 51 built

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yes, I understand this. My cutter will be a knot faster if I don't try to point her too high.

Even so, a boat that can point to 30 degrees apparent has an advantage over one that can't.

What's an asymetrical daggerboard?
Your point about 30degs is just not true. As YOGAO says it's purely a function of VMG, nothing else matters in terms of speed to windward.

Therefore it totally depends on how much more speed a boat will gain when cracking off by a few degs. Typically a heavier boat will have a better VMG when pointing high as the speed gain will be minimal, however a lighter boat with higher hull speed (or a planing hull) will usually do better when cracked slightly. Also, if you have a boat whose speed jumps when cracked off, the VMG relationship is typically: light wind = point high, heavier wind = crack off.

Oddly therefore, performance cruising catamarans are the ones that have daggerboards and are lighter, but will typically have a better VMG when sailed slightly lower having less need for the daggers.

Finally, a great way to go slowly to windward, wrt VMG, is to point as high as you can whilst going very slowly. You may point really high but you will also make lots of leeway partly due to the fact that the foils (keels, daggers, rudders) will make very little lift. Not to mention the effect of waves and momentum etc...
markiobe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Seawind, Seawind 1160