Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2009, 14:31   #31
DtM

Hey Factor, take a few deep breaths. The Seawinds have always been a popular choice and the clever sales into syndicates gets more people on the water which can only be good.

d
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 14:37   #32
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Just because a design is 15 years old doesn't mean it is still not as good as, and maybe better, than newer ones.

Shoot, there's a early 90's Catana 48 up here (the design is now 20+ years old) that can blow the snot off just about everything in Puget Sound.

While our St Francis 44 is more loaded for cruising, it, too, is a remarkably fast boat. Comfortable and dry, too. The first versions of that design are now 20 something.

Most of Lock Crowther's designs are older than that, yet are still killer boats.

These Seawinds are darned interesting boats. If the exchange rate was more favorable to the US and I was shopping, I'd definitely be considering one.

As for "age" of a design; good design is timeless. E.G., it was only two years ago that Cutty Sark's 24-hour record run was broken by Maltese Falcon. But, I'll bet you that Falcon wasn't loaded down with thousands of tons of cargo at the time!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 14:54   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
So - did you buy a FP? - funny that you had to go Perth to look at one given the Australian agents are in the sunshine coast? NIce people as well, don't know them all terribly well but have had a bit to do with them. So which FP did you buy? - Good time to buy an imported boat given our dollar is tracking okay. Better time to buy american but good time for euro based as well, or at least better than it has been.

When you say you got the email earlier tis year - how much earlier, I am unaware of any public acknowledgement in the first 6 months of this year of the existence of the 1250?
I haven't bought yet - I was looking at charter options with the 50% Rudd deal, but decided against, in favour of a personal boat mid next year. You are right, the Fountaine Pajot guys are in Queensland, but I went to Perth for the official launch of the Lipari. They parked the Lipari next to the seawinds and it looked very impressive - for more modern and looks like more boat for your money. Really high freeboard and good tunnel height. After seeing the boat, I think the Lipari is definitely the way to go when you compare it's price to the 1160 or even 1250. Lipari is 11.99m so half way between the 2 - they've also really improved the finish of the boat against the Mahe. I[m hoping the Euro stays low so I can still get a bargain next year.....

The email from Seawind came on the 6th Oct.
John_handley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 17:12   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
John
Good luck with the Lipari. You may want to consider a currency hedge, but that is well outside my area of expertise.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 20:33   #35

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
For what it's worth, Bob Dixon, one of the best builders and multihull sailors I've ever known, has been modifying Seawinds for some time. Especially the 1000 and others, by extensions to the bow and stern. For those along the West Coast of the US, and especially in Southern California, this could be an ideal opportunity to gain some major performance. I would suggest that anyone who might be interested should contact Kurt Jerman of West Coast Multihulls for further information. Bob also did the work on Captain Steven Mann's monohull that completed an eight month circumnavigation starting and ending in San Diego. The cost is not excessive, and the benefits are immediate and impressive. Cheaper than the options presented here.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 14:13   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
John
Good luck with the Lipari. You may want to consider a currency hedge, but that is well outside my area of expertise.
Hi Factor

You are right, with the high Aussie against the Euro it's making it hard not to buy now. The boys at Multihull Solutions have been really helpful and have offered to help with a forward currency buy for me. They import lots of boats from all over the place so have great rates with the currency houses. Effectively they can lock in the currency right now for a purchase mid next year so it takes the risk away.
John_handley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 14:50   #37

Boat: Seawind 1000XL "Crew Rest"
Just to reinforce RoyM's words, it was from those modifications to the Seawind 1000 that the factory saw the light and extended the hull to the become the 1000XL [a 2ft extension.] Acclaimed by all who try the mod!

Cheers
Sandyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 10:40   #38

I was assisting with a delivery of a Seawind 1200 at the beginning of November. It was my first sail on a catamaran, in fact it was my first sail outside the BVI in March. I arrived there early enough to pick owners stateroom. There was plenty of storage on the owners side with a huge head and seperate shower. I wasn't to happy about the first few days because we had to motor, one stretch was for 30 hours. We did have some good winds and were able to fly the spinnaker and on a beam reach, made almost 14 knots.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:19   #39

Boat: Seawind 1250
Thumbs up 10 days on a 1250 in up to 25-30 knots

Just returned from delivering my boat from Sydney to the Whitsundays in Qld and can say that the 1250 is significantly different in handling and comfort compared to the 1160 - the old adage about every extra foot making a mile of difference.

Has plenty of space and stability. Attached link for photos if anyone is keen.

Seawindow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Seawind