Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 03:26   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Seawind 1250

Just back from an owners regatta, where I got to sail the new seawind 1250. Looks to be a good thing. Certainly for a boat that had only been launched 2 days prior it sailed very well and was extremely well finished and more importantly extremely well built. I have some photos I will get around to posting once my camera decides to play along.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:34   #2

Thanks for posting so quickly, I'm looking forward to learning more. Honestly, I'm confused by SeaWind's strategy of adding a 41' boat to their range. Why are they adding a new boat only 3 feet longer than the 1160? I'm assuming that this is a replacement to the 1160, because it doesn't really offer much of an advantage? I still think SeaWind is missing a boat in the 45 to 49 foot range to give them something more than a great coastal cruiser. This is a bit of a problem with Australian boats right now. E.g. Fusion is only offering 40'. The Spirited Designs 480 is a great example of a blue water boat that competes with Dolphin, Catana, Nautitech and Leopard. Hats off to Craig Schionning for understanding the international Catamaran market.

Flame on!
StuckInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:10   #3

You're comparing a design to a production build. There's a stack of Aussie designers with boats in the 45+ foot range, Schionning (Jeff), Oram, Chamberlin, Hitch, etc etc...
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
You're comparing a design to a production build.
Fair enough, so there are fewer choices in the 45+ foot range from Australia than I thought. That's too bad, the Europeans need some competition!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:01   #5

Well, you seemed to think there was only one - the S480, when in fact there are dozens of designs available.

As for production 45+ footers, not so many. There's the Perrys and Lightwave 45, but yeah, not too many.
Old 02-11-2009, 16:01   #6

The Lightwave 45 looks to be an excellent production Blue Water cruising cat. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-11-2009, 22:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInTexas View Post
Thanks for posting so quickly, I'm looking forward to learning more. Honestly, I'm confused by Sea Wind's strategy of adding a 41' boat to their range. Why are they adding a new boat only 3 feet longer than the 1160? I'm assuming that this is a replacement to the 1160, because it doesn't really offer much of an advantage? I still think SeaWind is missing a boat in the 45 to 49 foot range to give them something more than a great coastal cruiser. This is a bit of a problem with Australian boats right now. E.g. Fusion is only offering 40'. The Spirited Designs 480 is a great example of a blue water boat that competes with Dolphin, Catana, Nautitech and Leopard. Hats off to Craig Schionning for understanding the international Catamaran market.

Flame on!
StuckInTexas, I was also confused by seawinds strategy with the 1160 then the 1250 for a while until I saw an 1160 dried out on the beach in cruising mode. The boat had sunk so low with its load of cruising essentials that the water line was now up above the chamfer panel/hull distortion by quite a margin. With very little wing deck clearance and such a wide and distorted water-plane profile one had to feel sorry for the owner. Also the rudders drew more than the keels with one removed for repair and the other badly mauled in a grounding mishap. It surprised me that seawind would build a boat with such a ridiculous rudder /keel design so I wondered weather the rudder blades had been modified by the owner to correct a steering problem.

Other than the original seawind 850 designed by Jutson I'm lead to believe that no naval architect has owned up to seawinds later designs. If this is correct maybe this is where the design problems lie.

Hence the 1160 may go the same way as the leyland p76.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 00:57   #8
Marine Service Provider

[QUOTE=bayview;356259]
Quote:
The boat had sunk so low with its load of cruising essentials that the water line was now up above the chamfer panel/hull distortion by quite a margin.
We raced one Brisbane to Gladstone with a dive compressor and dive gear - tanks weights and etc and provisions and fuel for the cruise home. Seemed to carry the load okay.

Where was the boat - what was its name - I would be interested to talk to the owner.

Quote:
With very little wing deck clearance and such a wide and distorted water-plane profile
Its got 750mm at ready to sail - i.e. half tanks full etc with usual gear aboard.

Quote:
Also the rudders drew more than the keels
Thats news to me. And to the boat I saw on the slip a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Hence the 1160 may go the same way as the leyland p76
.They sold the 80th boat the other week. Got orders for a few more yet.

Are you related to Catty by any chance?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:35   #9

I wasn't aware of design problems on the SeaWind boats, in fact the owners of the 1000 and 1160 seem to be very happy with them. I was just hoping to see SeaWind move into the larger boat market, because their boats are well thought out and I believe would give the French production cats a run for their money. With 80 boats sold, their decision to stay focused on the coastal cruising / charter market probably makes sense from a volume basis.
Old 03-11-2009, 13:20   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Hence the 1160 may go the same way as the leyland p76.
Bit of a silly remark considering the 1160 has been a very successful boat.

I expect Seawind will wait and see what effect the 1250 has on 1160 sales. Many people do want a sub 40 foot boat for marinas though.

I have to admit, I would have expected them to go bigger than 12.5 metres, IMO once you exceed the 40 foot mark you might as well go substantially bigger.
Old 03-11-2009, 13:28   #11
Marine Service Provider

At least when they say 1250 they mean 1250 - the Lipari 41 is actually 39 feet for example.

And on the issue of the 1160 being a coastal cruiser, there was a boat at the regatta ion the weekend that had just arrived in Sydney from California, so I think they do okay in the ocean. - Hope they do - I am taking my 1000 to new zealnd and Fiji so they had better be okay offshore.
Old 03-11-2009, 16:37   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Seawind used to make the 1200, and seem to recall some fairly strong criticism of that design not carrying a reasonable cruising load very well. I don't think they've made the 1200 for a couple of years.

I've run into a couple of 1160's out cruising -- one of them was one of the very early hulls and they had been out for three years IIRC. Both owners were quite happy, overall, other than the usual "it's a boat!" complaints. The couple who had been out for several years were talking about it being a bit small for open ocean (even though they had seen plenty of it) and they had a few other items they would have changed. Again, we can all say that about our boats.

Personally, I think there's a lot to like about the design and the 1250 also has some interesting features. I've never cared for their helm stations, but then again, I've never lived with it, either.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:12   #13

Boat: Seawind - 1160
I own a 1160 and have lived aboard for 3 years. The comment about the rudders was totally off base. We have let the boat sit on the keels and the rudders have about 10'' of clearance. Also, all cats are very sensitive to weight. The lighter you keep them the better they sail.

We did a race in the Bahamas last year and managed to keep up with a Fusion 40 and stay within sight of a St Francis 44. That was with all the cruising stuff for a winter in the Bahamas.

Cameron
Double-Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:13   #14

Boat: Seawind - 1160
Going back to the original post. I would love to see the pictures of the NEW 1250.

Please post them.

Cameron
Double-Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 18:44   #15

Boat: Lagoon 37 (TPI)
Maybe they aren't going bigger because of the current economic climate. With the dollar going the way it is, the 1160's are pushing $500k by the time you get it outfitted and ready to go. Seawind does a great job building quality boats and not everyone has the money for a 45"+ boat of the quality that they build.

As far as the 1160 being just a coastal cruiser...I disagree. It makes a good blue water boat. We have some very good friends who fell in love with the boat, had no experience, and within a year took off across the Pacific. The boat took care of them and they love the boat. Just because a boat is under some arbitrary 45 - 50' size idea, doesn't make it a coastal cruiser. In fact, Seawind is proud of the fact that the boat can go anywhere.
SVKokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Seawind