Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2020, 23:17   #16

Boat: Seawind 1160
Re: Seawind 1260 Price List?

Wright Yachts has the sole remaining unallocated 1260 arriving in 2020. All other 2020 1260 slots are spoken for. The boat ships in late April. We can deliver to the port of your choice. She’s well equipped for cruising. I’m happy to share more info, including full build spec and pricing with those interested in discussing further.

For those interested in reviewing options and pricing for a later build slot, just go to the following link—

https://wrightyachtsales.com/build-your-seawind/

Thanks!

Rob
robwrongshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 16:11   #17

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Just for reference, in January 2018 we put a deposit on a Seawind 1160 Lite build slot. In late June, the hull and deck layup started. On Dec 15, the boat was finished, shrink wrapped, and within a few days loaded into a container ship. Two months later, on 15 Feb 2019, we unloaded it in Miami. So contract to delivery was about 13 months.

The factory was great with periodic updates and pictures. We even visited Vietnam to see the boat under build, as well as got to see near completion and some hulls just starting layup. The worst was the two month wait tracking the contsiner ship from Vietnam. Which was on schedule thru the Panama Canal, but managed to add ten days delay hoping thru the US ports on the way to Miami.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 06:11   #18

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Ju, Did they give a price for shipping on your cat. And was the mast a 2 piece unit? Any other details on the container ship would be great. Inside? Outside? etc.
Old 21-01-2020, 08:14   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Ju, Did they give a price for shipping on your cat. And was the mast a 2 piece unit? Any other details on the container ship would be great. Inside? Outside? etc.
Mast was two pieces, wrapped with boom and attached to deck.. They remove the solar panels aft and store in cockpit. They put the boat on a cradle, and shrink wrap it tightly. When it arrived in miami the plastic was dirty but the boat underneath very clean. Seawind got bids for shipping when the boat was done. I seem to remember it was about $35-38k for shipping and crane water launch in miami, plus another $600 for insurance. I think the cradles were $3k.

There was a 1260 that came on the same ship. Both boats were in the hold of the container ship.
Old 23-01-2020, 10:36   #20

Sand Crab. When we took delivery of our 1160, there was a 1260 that came in on the same container ship. I took some pics of it after it was hoisted out of the hold. This will show how they are wrapped, and sitting on the cradle. The mast is in two pieces, laying on the starboard side of the deck.

The last two pics are our 1160 being hoisted by the port crane, and just about to touch down in the water. In the first pic, you can see the 1260 bow as well, as they were launched after us. We anchored overnight near the port, with a 360 deg light taped to the top of a extended boat hook. (The mast was still laying on the deck.) The next day we headed to Stuart, Florida, where we commissioned the systems, installed the mast, solar panels, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00536.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	207467   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00541.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	207468  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0153.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	207469   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0159.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	383.1 KB
ID:	207470  

Old 23-01-2020, 15:07   #21

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Thanks again Ju. That's really informative. I went to the Seattle boat show 2 years ago and noticed that the FP mast was 2 piece as well. Your photos just about confirm what I thought about shipping the cats. Can you take Vietnam possession and waive the delivery fees?
Old 23-01-2020, 17:09   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Thanks again Ju. That's really informative. I went to the Seattle boat show 2 years ago and noticed that the FP mast was 2 piece as well. Your photos just about confirm what I thought about shipping the cats. Can you take Vietnam possession and waive the delivery fees?
Sure, you can have it fully commisioned in Vietnam. The factory has detailed recommendations and procedures on how that is done. Some people chose to do that and cruise Asia before heading out.

I was active in all of the commisioning, including the mast assembly. I think there are 40-50 rivets, or screws if you choose that. The mast with 4 inches of pre bend as specified by my sailmaker has a nice consistent curve. If you didnt see the rivets, you would not suspect it is two pieces.

Seawind has presence at both the Miami and Annapolis shows in US, as well as some international shows. We went to both in US in 2018. Really like Annapolis best. We plan to be at Miami show in Feb, and there is a Seawind rendezvous planned for Key West the week after. They tried to pull that off last year but most of us owners were cruising in Bahamas, so it didnt happen.
Old 23-01-2020, 20:36   #23

Boat: PDQ 41

Good Evening Sail Jumanji, I have ordered an 1190 for delivery in late 2020, or early 2021. I have been toying with the idea of going to Vietnam to see the build. Did you find it worthwhile?
Best,
Maldwin
Maldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 00:13   #24

Boat: Discovery 50

Just send Seawind an email - I did and got a prompt response with full price list ........
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 16:30   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldwin View Post
Good Evening Sail Jumanji, I have ordered an 1190 for delivery in late 2020, or early 2021. I have been toying with the idea of going to Vietnam to see the build. Did you find it worthwhile?
Best,
Maldwin
Maldwin, it was really cool seeing our boat in its current state of completion. However even better was seeing boats that were just in the hull/deck layup stage with bulkheads being glassed in, and a hull that was nearing completion. Its a production line. At the time, it was all 1160 or 1190 or 1260 or Resort. There was one 1600 there, and it was a monster. That side, I like seeing the production facility. I toured the Corsair yard in Chula Vista, California where they built my 24 and 28R. I thought it would be cool to do the same for this Seawind, but my wife would only go if we added on some tourist stuff in Vietnam. SO we flew in one day, spent a day at the factory in Saigon, then the next five days had a personal tour guide and driver take us thru the Mekong Delta and southern Vietnam. We stayed at resorts that were embarrassingly cheap, did some great tours and boat trips. Everything was cheap, even though we were going five star. Last day we ended up back in Saigon, and went back to the factory for a final look. I think coming home it took something like 30 hrs, with layover in South Korea, and other before getting back to Texas. We used a group called Buffalo Tours to arrange everything in advance. I understand we could have save some money to use someone local in Vietnam to book, but again, it was crazy cheap anyway. We went in September, and the resorts were almost completely empty. Probably rainy season, but we didn't have issue. Seawind can help a lot with recommendations for places to stay, cabs, etc., on the yard side of the trip.

Send me a PM with contact info if you want more info. Are you buying your boat thru Steve Marsh at Finish Line? THat's who we used as well. Texas is open territory I think. That said, I had a lot of experience with him and Tanya when I was organizing the Corsair 28R fleet, Key West Race Week entry, etc., so it was easy decision to go to them for the second Seawind. I know most of the dealers though, and all I know are good to deal with.
Old 24-01-2020, 23:44   #26

Boat: Seawind 1160

Hi Sandcrab. Handover in Vietnam will save you something on the order of $25-35k, depending on a few factors, including where and when you would have otherwise received your vessel in the US.

Personally, I think it’s a great option if you’re looking to cruise for a few years and are fine with starting out in SE Asia first. That being said, those looking to save money first and foremost, and less interested in cruising these waters will find it’s a serious time investment for a few dollars saved, so again, the financial angle alone is not a standout reason unless you also want to take time and smell the roses, so to speak.

Here’s a link from Seawind with a few more details on handover in Vietnam:

https://seawindcats.com/community/sailing-in-south-east-asia-part-1/
robwrongshoes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price, Seawind, wind