Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2012, 13:57   #1

Seawind Catamarans...

Hello All,

New to the forum and interested in learning about Cats. At the moment one of my favorites is the Seawind 1250, I just noticed their manufacturing facility in Russell Vale/Billawongong??, NSW, Australia is deserted and available for lease.

Have scoured the internet for reasons but to no avail. Anybody know anymore? I know when they bought Corsair they moved some of their production to Vietnam in 2010 ish - perhaps they moved the rest.

TTFN.
renep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 15:14   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Seawind Catamarans...

1250 is still being built in Australia, xL2 and 1160 in the Corsair Facility in Vietnam. I think a new 1250 is splashing today/tomorrow and one a month after that for a while yet. I will be delivering the one going in the water today to Brisbane in a few weeks time.

BTW - where the heck in Billawongong. I know where Russell Vale is and I have been to the factory many times, but I am not familiar with Billawongong.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 15:42   #3

Thanks for the reply. I was digging deeper and got curious of location and where Seawind was located compared to major cities (south of Sydney)...

While researching (I do a lot of this) I picked up some articles about the company etc.. and then saw:
25 York Place, Russell Vale, NSW 2517 - Industrial/Warehouse Property for Lease #500031966 - realcommercial.com.au

Same address as Seawinds contact address, same location (checked on google), same looking building and one picture shows a boat tucked away in the corner. Having only built this facility in 2010 specifically for the 1250 and spending AU$2.5M or thereabouts. No news on their website or locally other than the real estate persons ad. about changes I became concerned about their location/stability.

In this worldwide business climate I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing some consolidation but in the absence of news, my thoughts leaned towards the negative (financial woes, lack of orders etc...).

My apology for my long winded reply.

Regards,

rene

PS: Agent shows his address and I have seen the facility being referred to being in the Wollongong area (where ever that is looks like Russell vale to me)/(I'm in Sacramento, CA a transplant from London/UK).

Thanks again for your reply.
renep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 15:56   #4

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by renep View Post
Hello All,

New to the forum and interested in learning about Cats. At the moment one of my favorites is the Seawind 1250, I just noticed their manufacturing facility in Russell Vale/Billawongong??, NSW, Australia is deserted and available for lease.

Have scoured the internet for reasons but to no avail. Anybody know anymore? I know when they bought Corsair they moved some of their production to Vietnam in 2010 ish - perhaps they moved the rest.

TTFN.
Actually I see moving their production facilities offshore as a real positive move. Boat builders are bleeding badly in Australia. Most seem reluctant to accept reality and are effectively just waiting until they pass out. The economic reality is that cost of production is so high here that I beieve the only ones that will survive long term will be those who are prepared to accept the new global marketplace. That Seawind is doing this is evidence that they are planning to be in business for a while yet.
Old 19-06-2012, 01:45   #5

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by renep View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was digging deeper and got curious of location and where Seawind was located compared to major cities (south of Sydney)...

While researching (I do a lot of this) I picked up some articles about the company etc.. and then saw:
25 York Place, Russell Vale, NSW 2517 - Industrial/Warehouse Property for Lease #500031966 - realcommercial.com.au

Same address as Seawinds contact address, same location (checked on google), same looking building and one picture shows a boat tucked away in the corner. Having only built this facility in 2010 specifically for the 1250 and spending AU$2.5M or thereabouts. No news on their website or locally other than the real estate persons ad. about changes I became concerned about their location/stability.

In this worldwide business climate I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing some consolidation but in the absence of news, my thoughts leaned towards the negative (financial woes, lack of orders etc...).

My apology for my long winded reply.

Regards,

rene

PS: Agent shows his address and I have seen the facility being referred to being in the Wollongong area (where ever that is looks like Russell vale to me)/(I'm in Sacramento, CA a transplant from London/UK).

Thanks again for your reply.
The lower height building in the advert is where the 10 & 1160 lines were set up, if I had of known you were worried I coulda driven by & checked this morning that they were still there. I think billawongong maybe short for Bellambi Wollongong.......... Jeff.
waikikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 01:49   #6

Boat: Swanson 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by waikikin

The lower height building in the advert is where the 10 & 1160 lines were set up, if I had of known you were worried I coulda driven by & checked this morning that they were still there. I think billawongong maybe short for Bellambi Wollongong.......... Jeff.
Where do you live? I live in Berkeley.
Old 19-06-2012, 01:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Chariot View Post
In Menai, Southern Sydney, I have a shed in Unannderra- just over the hill from Berkeley, had a flex day from work today so could go & mow/fix the plumbing etc etc today. Great part of the world, Wollongong is terrific, if I do stuff on the WE down there I'll go the coast road on the way home for a swim & fish/chips with my boys. Regards from Jeff.
Old 19-06-2012, 04:25   #8

Boat: Seawind 1160, 38 foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Mick C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Chariot

Used to live in hertford street, Berkeley. Where's about in Berkeley?
Old 21-06-2012, 05:16   #9

Boat: Swanson 32
Massey St
Old 21-06-2012, 22:43   #10

there is a guy in northern Wollongong who has bought an unfinished project...simpson cat i think...but he seems a nice bloke. and would be worth a visit. ill try to find he contacts...i think there are about 4 cats being diyed in illawarra at he moment.
Old 22-06-2012, 01:56   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick C View Post
there is a guy in northern Wollongong who has bought an unfinished project...simpson cat i think...but he seems a nice bloke. and would be worth a visit. ill try to find he contacts...i think there are about 4 cats being diyed in illawarra at he moment.
Great to know there's some people getting themselves some nice boats in the area, though the berths & moorings are in short supply I believe, heard there might be some marina coming at Shellharbour but it's been controversial in the past. Jeff.
Old 22-06-2012, 18:33   #12

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:

Great to know there's some people getting themselves some nice boats in the area, though the berths & moorings are in short supply I believe, heard there might be some marina coming at Shellharbour but it's been controversial in the past. Jeff.
Don't hold your breath waiting for the Shellcove marina. I grew up in Berkeley, spent many a day surfing the farm and shallows down Shellharbour way, but as the Joni Mitchell song goes "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot"

Seawind 1160 my dream boat, but I'll never be able to afford one, very happy with my Oceanic 46, even if it's only got 1 hull!

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 20:14   #13

Yep...shellcove is a mirage. Don't put money on it.
My god how did a monohuller find us!! Shock horror...
Yes the 1160 is a beauty boat. Have had two on charter and know a few more. One was its first charter and had a few problems to be honest. Picky things but for $700k+ you expect good. But they are a nice boat. Could do with better helm seating
Mick
Old 22-06-2012, 22:00   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
Don't hold your breath waiting for the Shellcove marina. I grew up in Berkeley, spent many a day surfing the farm and shallows down Shellharbour way, but as the Joni Mitchell song goes "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot"

Seawind 1160 my dream boat, but I'll never be able to afford one, very happy with my Oceanic 46, even if it's only got 1 hull!
Not banking on it either, I've got a great mooring in Port Hacking- right in front of a 6million dollar mansion.... for a few hundred a year, gotta love it! I'm not from the Illawarra but have a love of coastal towns the way they were 30 years ago from before the lolly coloured render got plastered over every new building..... for me a windblown coastal hamlet with an RSL or Bowlo is close to heaven! Jeff.

PS; apparently Berkeley is a common spot to be from...
Old 23-06-2012, 02:43   #15

Quote:

Not banking on it either, I've got a great mooring in Port Hacking- right in front of a 6million dollar mansion.... for a few hundred a year, gotta love it! I'm not from the Illawarra but have a love of coastal towns the way they were 30 years ago from before the lolly coloured render got plastered over every new building..... for me a windblown coastal hamlet with an RSL or Bowlo is close to heaven! Jeff.

PS; apparently Berkeley is a common spot to be from...
I,m from Ireland...wife from Berkeley...

Tags
Seawind