Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2019, 22:20   #76

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Self build catamarans designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunji View Post
That sucks, Couldn’t you have taken photos and given them to your insurance company to chase up
I probably would have if I had been aboard at the time.

More to the point shouldn't the uninsured twat have done the right thing and at least have had 3rd party to cover his damage to my vessel?
Why should it be up to me to use my insurance to cover those who choose not to have insurance?

Personally, I would love to see every boater forced to have at the bare minimum 3rd part insurance covering damages to others and their property and wreck cleanup and removal.
People need to act responsibly and be held accountable.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 22:46   #77

Boat: Oram

Yes he should have done the right thing, insurance or not. Reality is not everybody can afford insurance. Yes we can afford insurance but as I said we don’t do marinas, berths, jetty’s or slips and lm not in the habit of flushing money down the toilet.
Bunji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 22:49   #78

Quote:
Reality is not everybody can afford insurance. .
Then reality is you cant afford to play boats full stop.

If you cant afford at least 3rd party there is no way you can afford to clean up your steaming pile of effluent when it is wrecked or falls into a state of disrepair and is dumped.
Old 24-12-2019, 22:54   #79

Boat: Freedom 32

I built a flika 34 by Derek Woods years ago. The design was a bit dated , so I added a foot on the bow for a larger trampoline and finer entery, also a foot on the sugarscoops for steps. I used strip plank on the deck to round the hard edges.
It was a lot of work!
I struggled to sell it, even with the upgraded shape, as most buyers wanted a production glass boat which has a reputation. DIY boats vary so much in quality that buyers fear the unknown.
After calculating the build cost, including site rental, man hours, and the knock I took on the resale, I would have been better off getting a second job and saving for a good used production glass boat.
I hate being a nay sayer, but you should go look and a few DIY boats and pick the brains of the builders before you make the commitment to build your own boat.
Sorry for the bitter dose of reality. Good luck.
Craig Cape Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 23:25   #80

Simi 60 SO SO sad, If u ever come to the territory (leave the marina) fill free to drop in I’d be more than happy to show u around
Old 24-12-2019, 23:38   #81

Alumcat, hi. I have a similar intention (be it 44-45 feet). Would you mind I reach out to you outside of this thread with dinner specific questions? Thanks, Roderik
Roddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 23:50   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumcat View Post
Self build cats.
I built my own cat. a sailing aluminium cat, 48 ft long. I bought the plans from an Australian, Tim Mumby designs. You could try googling him. If you want to see his plans, I only live in Gloucester.
@Alumcat, hi. I have a similar intention (be it 44-45 feet). Would you mind I reach out to you outside of this thread with some specific questions? Thanks, Rod
Roddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 05:56   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Row Bear View Post
Wharram cats are probably the easiest to build
In 1980 my partner launched a Narii mk 4. All wooden components were given 3 coats of West epoxy. After sailing the boat out the St Lawrence to the carribean and bsck I sold her. The boat.is still being sailed and providing enjoyment to its owners.
CHEAPER TO BUY A PROJET BOAT¡¡¡
swanpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 10:35   #84

Quote:
Simi 60 SO SO sad, If u ever come to the territory (leave the marina) fill free to drop in I’d be more than happy to show u around
Leave the marina?
Our vessel hasn't been in a marina in 4 years
Old 25-12-2019, 15:08   #85

Ay Simi where u been, I missed u. Vessel or Barge I didn’t quiet catch the name I think it started with Exxon and finished with Valdez, What an excellent choice of design I think an old Rig Tender would have been even better, Bigger, Heavier More powerful and think of all the extra fuel and water u could carry around HAHA TO FUNNY. When u drop in I’ll show u what a super efficient 5L P/HR 12 knot twin engine 2L P/HR 6 knot single engine semi displacement power catamaran looks like, weighs less than 3 ton draws less than .5 metre is beached regularly can be hauled out and stored when ever I choose at no cost, easy and cheap to maintain has split system aircon, microwave, fridge etc all of which run off a 600 amp/hr lithium battery bank. Cheers and happy days. PS. TRY not to burn the turkey next year
Old 25-12-2019, 15:33   #86

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Ay Simi where u been, I missed u. Vessel or Barge I didn’t quiet catch the name I think it started with Exxon and finished with Valdez, What an excellent choice of design I think an old Rig Tender would have been even better, Bigger, Heavier More powerful and think of all the extra fuel and water u could carry around HAHA TO FUNNY. When u drop in I’ll show u what a super efficient 5L P/HR 12 knot twin engine 2L P/HR 6 knot single engine semi displacement power catamaran looks like, weighs less than 3 ton draws less than .5 metre is beached regularly can be hauled out and stored when ever I choose at no cost, easy and cheap to maintain has split system aircon, microwave, fridge etc all of which run off a 600 amp/hr lithium battery bank. Cheers and happy days. PS. TRY not to burn the turkey next year
Where are you putting the outdoor part of the mini split air conditioner on your Catamaran?

I can't find anywhere that won't look bad when considering the same.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 16:40   #87

Quote:
Three wars back we called Sauerkraut "liberty cabbage" and we called liberty cabbage "super slaw" and back then a suitcase was known as a "Swedish lunchbox." Of course, nobody knew that but me. Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.
Having owned, built and cruised Cats previously I can guarantee you that our comfort levels and general nicities are worlds better than yours

And fuel usage is neither here nor there when you buy for at least $300k less than an average cat that makes an attempt at having comparable comfort levels.

Even a 70ft Crowther doesn't get close to offering the same levels of comfort
https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-...one-off/239683
Old 26-12-2019, 00:05   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Where are you putting the outdoor part of the mini split air conditioner on your Catamaran?

I can't find anywhere that won't look bad when considering the same.
Gday Chotu. Thanks for the kind comments, Yeah it’s a bit of a dilemma isn’t it. Initially we had a (Rac) old style Kelvinator mounted on the port cabin top above the bed and ducted through the hatch, it worked but a bit unsightly and those older box aircons don’t have the soft start feature that the split system inverters do so not as efficient. Our cat has an open bridge deck style layout so the aft cabin tops slope (curve) down and stop at the rear beam (bulkhead). So the best idea I could come up with was to glue and tape a rectangular piece of duflex across the rear cabin Portside and mount the outdoor unit on that so it sits forward of the rear beam and u can still walk freely back and across the duckboard Cheers
Old 27-12-2019, 03:09   #89
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Building definitely isn't for everyone. But you really can save money if you're sensible. If you choose your design well you can save lots of money. You can build a boat more spacious and faster than say an Outremer 45, for about 1/4 of the cost.
Hi, 44'!

I like this "1/4" and expect these figures are obtained from your personal experience!

May I also ask for a picture of that "more specious and faster" cat You refer, or a link at her design, please?

Merry X-Mas to all!
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 05:11   #90

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Gday Chotu. Thanks for the kind comments, Yeah it’s a bit of a dilemma isn’t it. Initially we had a (Rac) old style Kelvinator mounted on the port cabin top above the bed and ducted through the hatch, it worked but a bit unsightly and those older box aircons don’t have the soft start feature that the split system inverters do so not as efficient. Our cat has an open bridge deck style layout so the aft cabin tops slope (curve) down and stop at the rear beam (bulkhead). So the best idea I could come up with was to glue and tape a rectangular piece of duflex across the rear cabin Portside and mount the outdoor unit on that so it sits forward of the rear beam and u can still walk freely back and across the duckboard Cheers
Ah. That makes sense. Thank you. I have the enclosed bridgedeck so I'm coming up short on places for the outdoor part.

Considering other types of non marine air conditioning units instead just because I can't solve the placement issue. Considering a pair of RV style units through the roof or a pair of household window units tucked out of sight. Leaning toward the household ones.

No thru hulls or needless marine items in my design. Trying to go for seaworthiness and ease of replacement with all off the shelf items.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran