Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2019, 05:32   #91
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Self build catamarans designs

I was on a Turkish charter boat wooden about 80' where several cabins had these AC units. Under the bunks they had taken the outdoor coils normally fan cooled and sealed then into buckets sealing the edges with roofing tar. Seawater was then pumped thru the buckets for cooking. Worked, I guess. Not sure how long that no doubt Chinese copper holds up in sea water.
Old 27-12-2019, 05:44   #92

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I was on a Turkish charter boat wooden about 80' where several cabins had these AC units. Under the bunks they had taken the outdoor coils normally fan cooled and sealed then into buckets sealing the edges with roofing tar. Seawater was then pumped thru the buckets for cooking. Worked, I guess. Not sure how long that no doubt Chinese copper holds up in sea water.
That's an interesting solution but I'd imagine they would corrode just as you said.

I have searched high and low for one that orients the coils on their side, using a fan vertically to blow air through them. One that had a condenser that is flat and wide, rather than talk and narrow. They don't seem to make them like that.

I wonder if it's possible to install them on their sides given enough clearance for the fan to draw air.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 09:13   #93
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Ah. That makes sense. Thank you. I have the enclosed bridgedeck so I'm coming up short on places for the outdoor part.

Considering other types of non marine air conditioning units instead just because I can't solve the placement issue. Considering a pair of RV style units through the roof or a pair of household window units tucked out of sight. Leaning toward the household ones.

No thru hulls or needless marine items in my design. Trying to go for seaworthiness and ease of replacement with all off the shelf items.

Most efficient Ac we put on a boat was an RV rooftop unit. Doesn’t help the aesthetics from the outside put kept us really cool.
We now use a couple of window units mounted through hatches. Very efficient and easy to remove when taking a trip.
We’ve owned a few marine units and find them to be inefficient. Also I don’t care for through hulls or the fact I’ve got a chance of taking on water if a hose fails.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 11:17   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Hi, 44'!

I like this "1/4" and expect these figures are obtained from your personal experience!

May I also ask for a picture of that "more specious and faster" cat You refer, or a link at her design, please?

Merry X-Mas to all!
Pictures here:

Member Galleries - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 13:01   #95

Boat: Oram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Ah. That makes sense. Thank you. I have the enclosed bridgedeck so I'm coming up short on places for the outdoor part.

Considering other types of non marine air conditioning units instead just because I can't solve the placement issue. Considering a pair of RV style units through the roof or a pair of household window units tucked out of sight. Leaning toward the household ones.

No thru hulls or needless marine items in my design. Trying to go for seaworthiness and ease of replacement with all off the shelf items.
Check these out Micro-Air easy start 364, OL Fridgy mate reckons they could work $450 from importer mob in Brisbane so not cheap. I like the old box type (RAC) there cheap, easy to mount and they just work. Marine air cons are expensive, hard to install and water cooled, so no good if u beach a lot, Caravan/RV rooftops are problematic, expensive, reviews on the new dometic (inverters) aren’t to favourable Cheers
Bunji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 09:36   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumcat View Post
Self build cats.
I built my own cat. a sailing aluminium cat, 48 ft long. I bought the plans from an Australian, Tim Mumby designs. You could try googling him. If you want to see his plans, I only live in Gloucester.
Hi @alumcat we are just about to buy the plans from Tim Mumby and embark on the great adventure of building our own cyber 48....other than watching all of Jamies' youtube videos aboard Jupiter 2 we haven't found much online from people like yourself that have built their own alumcat...Tim has said he would guide us along the way, but if you are up for sharing some of your tips or challenges we would of course be indebted to you. Hoping to hear from you. Tamsin :-) Cape Town, South Africa
Zen Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 13:35   #97

Boat: Catamaran, Aluminium, 48 feet.

Zen Sailing.
Yes of course I'll help any way I can, why don't you send me a personal message & exchange e mails. Tony.
alumcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2021, 01:57   #98

@alumcat Hi Tony that is amazing thanks so much. I'm not seeing an option to private message you, just subscribed on this forum. I can share my email address here and see if it is allowed. tamsin@thefirststep.co.za if that doesnt work i'll do a little more research here to see what I'm missing. Chat shortly.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:45   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumcat View Post
Self build cats.
I built my own cat. a sailing aluminium cat, 48 ft long. I bought the plans from an Australian, Tim Mumby designs. You could try googling him. If you want to see his plans, I only live in Gloucester.
How long did it take to build etc Any advise?
I'm thinking of going down this path.
Kappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:50   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Sailing View Post
Hi @alumcat we are just about to buy the plans from Tim Mumby and embark on the great adventure of building our own cyber 48....other than watching all of Jamies' youtube videos aboard Jupiter 2 we haven't found much online from people like yourself that have built their own alumcat...Tim has said he would guide us along the way, but if you are up for sharing some of your tips or challenges we would of course be indebted to you. Hoping to hear from you. Tamsin :-) Cape Town, South Africa
Hi Zen sailing,
I'm also looking at this option to build in South Africa. I would like to keep in touch to see what's involved etc
Regards
Kappi
Old 01-08-2021, 06:36   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappi View Post
Hi Zen sailing,
I'm also looking at this option to build in South Africa. I would like to keep in touch to see what's involved etc
Regards
Kappi

Hi Kappi, where are you based in South Africa?
Old 01-08-2021, 09:47   #102

Hi Zen sailing,
I'm a South African currently living in Mozambique.
I have a place in Durban.
Old 01-08-2021, 23:52   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappi View Post
Hi Zen sailing,
I'm a South African currently living in Mozambique.
I have a place in Durban.

Hi Kappi lets keep in touch. We have just purchased the Cyber 48 plans from Tim Mumby and we are committed to building the cat. Very exciting and long road ahead could be very useful to help each other out. I'm in Hout Bay, Cape Town. My email address is tamsin@thefirststep.co.za let's keep in touch. Thanks
Old 03-08-2021, 18:35   #104

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Some trolling posts using vulgar language have been deleted. All the posts referencing the trolling posts have been removed, as well.
Old 13-08-2021, 10:33   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Sailing View Post
Hi Kappi lets keep in touch. We have just purchased the Cyber 48 plans from Tim Mumby and we are committed to building the cat. Very exciting and long road ahead could be very useful to help each other out. I'm in Hout Bay, Cape Town. My email address is tamsin@thefirststep.co.za let's keep in touch. Thanks
I'm also very keen on the Mumby Cyber 48 design for a self built catamaran, although the interior fit out seems like a huge amount of work. Will you create a blog or photo album to document your build as it seems like there are several people interested.
I've found some limited photos of the sv Tank Girl and sv Silver Tern, but nothing recent or any active builders.
jezzam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran