Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2015, 05:54   #1

Boat: Gemini 105MC
semi urgent help with Gemini drive leg

I have just purchased a 2011 Gemini 105MC and was well aware of the issue with the drive leg popping up when in reverse.
In fact, on the test sail the broker demonstrated how to properly lube the leg, then how to listen for the right "click" sound when lowering the leg then giving it some forward thrust to make sure... then when he was reversing into the slip... it popped up LOL. Forcing a mad dash to the bow to prevent a collision with another boat moored in it's slip.

Anyway, I have to make a long delivery to my home port right away and don't have time to work on a proper fix.
Is it true that some simply run a line from the bow anchor cleat under the boat and tie it to the drive leg then tighten it when a need to reverse may be imminent?
I don't want to have to worry about this happening as I stop for re-fueling and pump outs and going through locks on my way to home port.
SaltyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 07:20   #2

Re: semi urgent help with Gemini drive leg

Never heard of it being done but as long as it's clear of the prop and doesn't restrict the outdrive from turning it might work. (we have an outboard, so no direct experience)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 07:47   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

I temporarily used a line looped around the leg and tied to something at the stern – I’m not at my boat right now so I don’t remember exactly…seemed obvious at the time and it worked fine. I guess the bow would work too…just an awfully long line and might interfere with anchoring..also wrong end of the boat to deal with raising the leg. The Gemini Owners Yahoo Group probably has a number of fixes. Good luck!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 10:27   #4

These use the Sillette leg - normally there will be a spring to lock the leg in reverse - but these easily stretch and drop off due to poor design but check if its on the locking mechanism - all that does is pull a locking bar in to place - you can also do so manually with the release handle - drop the leg down, make sure its engaged and then pull the handle out to hold the bar in place. If for any reason that system is broken then yes you can tie the leg down but it may be easier to cable tie the locking mechanism closed and leave the leg down all the time until you can get it fixed.
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 16:57   #5

Boat: Gemini 105MC

Thanks for the replies,
I tried the Gemini Yahoo group but I'm unable to find the thread I started with the question. doh.. The Yahoo group interface is horrible compared to a forum like this one.

I didn't see anywhere where it could be tied at the transom. The spring also looks fine (but I'll change it anyway) and we had just lubed the whole system before the pop up. I knew this was a potential problem going in but there are too many other features I love about the Gemini 105MC.

I'm sure I can find a better solution when I have more time but I don't want to lock it in place for the trip. Seven days and nights of sailing and or motoring with a long stretch the entire length of shallow lake Erie.
SaltyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 23:25   #6

If its any help you can download the manual for this (its the type2 catamaran drive) here: sillette_downloads_page

It has full exploded diagrams, service advice etc
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 12:10   #7

I chartered one with the same problem. Almost rammed a dock in Clearwater. Take your dingy around so you can see the locking mech. Have someone move it in and out of reverse until you can see what is actually going on. It has been a number of years, but I could see why it was locking in place did not mate. I went to a hardware and got a rat tail and flat file and did a little field adjustment. It didn't seem that complicated.
defensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 17:17   #8

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Had the same with my outboard on a sled when I entered a harbour full with expensive yachts.
The previous owner had given good advice: "If in doubt aim for something cheap!"
Used Dyneema line to stop the outboard from coming up in reverse.First it was intended as an emergency fix.
Now it's permanent.
Immensely strong.
Doesn't chafe.
No corrosion.

Not sure if this works for you.
Did not need the tilting, my sled pivots with the fixed engine.
Still maybe there is a way to fix it in your case too.

Good luck!

Sent from my C6603 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-07-2015, 16:15   #9

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

Sillette has 3 different versions of the locking mechanism. On our Prout we have a owner modified version of the 1st mechanism. All of them can be permanently locked down fairly easily with a zip tie to keep the lock down on the bar. For what you are doing this is what I would do.

Once you are through your trip I suggest you play with the mechanism and learn what's working or not with yours - on ours we ended up modifying the lock and it works quite well. There are some photos of it at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/svgeru...57648872610378

Geoff.
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 09:45   #10

I have had the same problem with my 2011 Gem. If you still are searching for a solution to your problem pm me and I can email you some photos of my fix. There is an even more simple fix than what I have done though. Simply use a small line and tie a bowline around the rectangular bar that lifts up the latch (on the port side of the drive leg). Then tie that line tight to the cleat that holds the steering lines. The bottom line is you can use a line tied to that rectangular piece to keep the latch down. It's easier to explain with photos so pm me if you would like to see some.

Cheers!
Ted
Bay Cat
tedpac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini