Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2022, 09:23   #46

Boat: R&C Leopard 40
Re: Semmes Yachting, broker in Annapolis. BEWARE!

When we bought our boat, the seller had offered the tools at a certain price. It was a few thousand if I remember correctly. I basically ignored it. We agreed to a price and I thought the deal included everything on board during the sea trial, which the tools were. When we closed the deal, the tools had been removed. I made the mistake of thinking it was a package deal, but nope, I was wrong. The gentleman had his wife fly 4-5000 thouand miles each way, remove a few personal items and 99% of all the tools on board. I had to go out just to buy a screwdriver. I later found the little yanmar tools had been left.
It worked out for the best, as I'm picky about tools but it was still a shock to my system. I did think, damn, what a wife she must be to carry a **** load of tools from the boat, to the airport and back home. What a hassle that must have been.
On topic: The dinghy was included in our deal. I can't believe you backed out over the dinghy and LR. I would have tried to negotiate including those items back for a additional money. Not a lot of boats to buy right now. In a buyer's market you can be more demanding.
Old 21-03-2022, 13:40   #47

I can understand your disappointment even anger if you think you've been hard done by but is this really the right way to go about things.

Surely the correct thing to do is to resort to legal redress if you have a genuine grievance.

If you get a finding in your favour then you might have some justification for your post.
Before that it could amount to libel?
TOM-ROLPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 15:51   #48

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

If it isn't in writing, it isn't included. Buyer Beware and get it in writing.
Old 21-03-2022, 18:43   #49

Boat: Hunter 50

LuckyDog63,
I think you are wrong and owe Semmes an apology. I never heard of them before your post, and have no dog in this fight.
SemperAvanti41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 21:27   #50

Boat: 1976 Vaughn Mason 48ft Cutter/ Ketch

Stated equipment lists are the standard. Confirmations, clarifications, etc should be completed during the walkthrough, survey, etc. Quite often a boat sale will not include selected equipment, including dinghies, outboards, tools, personal safety equipment, etc, especially if the seller intends to purchase a subsequent boat. During a boat purchase, the devil is in the details.
cohort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 04:43   #51

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDog63 View Post
Thanks everyone for your insights. I genuinely appreciate the feedback, even the ones that don’t agree with my perspective. This community is a fantastic resource and I’ve learned a lot today.

I’m watching news about Ukraine as I write this and feel like a complete schmuck for having even a moment when I thought my boat deal was actually a problem. Good reality check.

Now back to shopping, equipped with a bit more experience! Thanks

I think that reflects good perspective rather than “heat of the moment” thinking.

“Back to shopping”- did you back out of the sale over the dinghy? I suppose in the 1 million+ market there are plenty more to buy?

My opinion is if you’re going to spend that much please consider a catamaran that can sail in less than 15kts of breeze
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 23:28   #52

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
As a shady real estate broker I once came across used to say -"It may be unethical but it's not illegal".

That's how I feel about OP's predicament. While docks and cars which get into boat's photos are understandably there by accident and clearly do not belong with the sale, a dinghy which appears in umpteen photos, especially if tied up to the boat or on it's deck is clearly there to make it appear to be a part of the sale.

Yes, legally it is not. But any ethical broker, especially when dealing with a first time buyer of a hefty priced vessel, should have enough integrity to mention that not all items appearing in photos are part of the sale. Broker's like the one described give all brokers a bad name.

Plus, practically speaking - why would you want to p*ss-off a valuable customer like that? Even in a crazy seller's market. Not a very bright broker, if you ask me.
Look at the inventory..that is what is included in the deal.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, broker, Semmes, yacht