Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 18:02   #61
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Shocked by hull material catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Solid, but not epoxy, unless rebuilt in epoxy after a traumatic grounding as in the photographed L570.

Good to see that your L440 hasn't disintegrated into small pieces as a result of the "shocking hull material" only suitable for a kayak (post#11) or sunk without warning due to the through hull fittings vaporising on their 5th birthday.
Find and post the laminate schedule for this exterior skin and I'll post the official laminate schedule for an extremely well known brand of sea kayak I have been involved in the production of. You might be surprised by the result. IF you could actually find this information, which is not publicly disseminated. Wonder why?

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 18:34   #62
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
The reason he's asking is because epoxy layups don't take gel coat, they have to be painted. Nothing wrong with a nice Awlgrip job but now the costs go up even more. It's certainly possible that the boat was built using an epoxy layup but it doesn't make a lot of sense.

The use of Awlgrip would be quite a weight savings as compared with a gel coat finish, but on the Lagoon probably not much of a factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 18:37   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
I think he may be referring to vinylester - not quite conventional resin not quite epoxy.
Typical is first coat vinylester and then the balance in polyester resins but if it's infusion then you may be right. Epoxy layups are usually reserved for an upper end boat and Lagoon just doesn't fit that profile, nothing wrong with the boats but Benni keeps a pretty tight lid on costs.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 19:29   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Find and post the laminate schedule for this exterior skin and I'll post the official laminate schedule for an extremely well known brand of sea kayak I have been involved in the production of. You might be surprised by the result. IF you could actually find this information, which is not publicly disseminated. Wonder why?
Through hull cutout slightly below waterline of our Lagoon 400 revealed solid infused fibreglass of 15mm thickness. No doubt the cored hull bottoms of the L570 under discussion has similiar or greater strength.

I don't know anything about sea kayaks, but if your's are less "flimsy" then good luck and happy paddling.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 20:25   #65

Boat: Liberty 458

They are built to a price and not a standard.

Those pics also reveal numerous other composite defects including poor wetup, delamination, lots of failed secondary bonds. This type of construction would never pass any destructive tests. But then they aren't mandated too.

From a strength perspective composite structures like this tend to be over designed. Because deflection tends to be the design to requirement. Cheap cores help to meet the deflection requirement. They're hidden from sight so cost tends to dominate.

I'll stick to the solid fiberglass hull of my 1984 Liberty 458. Replaced a bunch of thru hulls and seacocks last year. Lot's of lovely thick no void fiberglass over an inch thick at the turn of the bilge. That gives durability something foam cores lack.

Then again I'll never match the theoretical top speed of that cat. It's all tradeoffs.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 20:32   #66

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I have to agree with that....Steel or Alloy hulls and keels will survive a much greater bashing
Impact resistance is the real benefit of steel or alloy. You tradeoff corrosion resistance and repairability with simple tools.

There is no perfect material.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 23:01   #67

There is a layer of roving evident in the hull photographs so can't be called a "chopper gun" boat.

Geeshus. What a mess !
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 23:24   #68

"Impact resistance is the real benefit of steel or alloy"

Did not seem to work that well for these guys maybe they could benefit from a look at one of the anchor threads as well.

A U.S. Navy guided missile cruiser in Japan just ran aground in poor weather. Nobody was injured in the incident, which involved the USS Antietam.
According to the Navy Times, Antietam was in the vicinity of its home port of Yokosuka, Japan, when it anchored in high winds. The crew noticed the cruiser was dragging anchor and they got the ship under way again. But the Antietam promptly lost pitch control of its propellers, ran aground, and lost 1,100 gallons of oil. The U.S. government has notified Japanese authorities and is conducting a cleanup.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 23:49   #69

Boat: LAGOON 400

reality is french do the best boats and are best racers.

CF seem to be collection of bitter (mainly us and english) posters criticising every aspect of french boats, including toilets.

get a life.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 00:02   #70

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post

CF seem to be collection of bitter (mainly us and english) posters criticising every aspect of french boats, including toilets.

get a life.
I think it is fair to review and discuss problems with any vessel brand or type no matter the country of build.

That this particular vessel was French built is not the issue.

Certainly been plenty of criticism/discussion of balsa core boats also and balsa core is not only used by French builders. Discussion and debate is all good.

Its also useful to know if your vessel has brass seacocks fitted such that one can plan ahead.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 00:09   #71

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I think it is fair to review and discuss problems with any vessel brand or type no matter the country of build.

That this particular vessel was French built is not the issue.

Certainly been plenty of criticism/discussion of balsa core boats also and balsa core is not only used by French builders. Discussion and debate is all good.

Its also useful to know if your vessel has brass seacocks fitted such that one can plan ahead.

all valid points.

however, criticising without providing working and proven alternative, is useless.

I remember saildrive SD 50 panic that seem to subside lately. It is all rubbish. So I dont buy these free advises over CF any more.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 00:25   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
all valid points.

however, criticising without providing working and proven alternative, is useless.

I remember saildrive SD 50 panic that seem to subside lately. It is all rubbish. So I dont buy these free advises over CF any more.
You dont have to buy anything.
CF is a chat forum with a mix of professionals, owners and armchair whingers. SOMEWHERE.... in that mix is some good knowledge.

Your job, should you choose to take it, is to find out who knows what they are talking about. The info is all free.

This message will not self destruct in 5 minutes.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 00:35   #73

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:

get a life.
Are you suggesting this boat with a hole in it was French? had a French racer as skipper?? and is a piece of ****????
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:12   #74

Boat: None

@arsenelupiga

You may be right with some posters here bashing french boats and especially catamarans but one thing you can not talk away ist the "quality" of the laminate. The damaged part of the keel looks like glued together towels with lots of failed bonds....

And I am not against catamarans or Lagoons - the L400 for example is on my list.
rh81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:27   #75

Boat: wanting a cat

Great thread man!

Great advice, wisdom and experience, keep this sh*t coming...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, hull