Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2017, 15:48   #31

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Re: Should Seawind owners see this?

With that explanation of the damage I would have expected a more bow up orientation. Especially if the boat had Diesel engines
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 15:50   #32
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
With that explanation of the damage I would have expected a more bow up orientation. Especially if the boat had Diesel engines

Outboard powered
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 19:07   #33

BTW, I believe the correct term is that the catamaran has settled, not sunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Different wind and wave/swell conditions could have lead to a very different outcome regarding whether it rolled completely over.
Now how could it roll over completely with one hull flooded?
--
Anyway, however the breach occurred, the vessel has settled very low in the water, reducing its chance of making a safe refuge in less than ideal conditions.
Oh, the panic of it all - settled very low in the water, so low it now looks like a monohull and thus is likely to sink completely? Like these guys, lost their rudder and guess what? Boat was untowable as it sank -- fortunately the two crew were picked up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 11.05.02 AM.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	157794  
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 01:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
FWIW, a google image search returned a hit on that picture at
https://www.facebook.com/abcnorthwes...840315891811:0

"
A 10 metre catamaran has sunk in the Exmouth Gulf after it tore its rudder on the reef and filled with water. The four occupants were not injured and the boat was able to be salvaged, Exmouth Sea Rescue Commander Rusty Ellis said.
"It appeared that it had bounced the rudder on some of the reef that was in front of the yacht club, and it had broken the rudder off and broken a big hole in the back of the boat and the water flowed in through the back of the boat," Mr Ellis said.
"We took the people off the boat, secured the boat and managed to turn it around and put it into more shallow water so that when the tide went out, it was able to stabilise it and drain some of the water out and hopefully make it a bit easier for them to plug a hole and float it back to the marina for more substantial repairs."
Thanks for that StuM.

That tallies with my source from an earlier post.

Surprised that a hole in the stern lead to complete flooding of the boat though.
Old 16-10-2017, 01:18   #35

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpOnStands View Post
BTW, I believe the correct term is that the catamaran has settled, not sunk.

Oh, the panic of it all - settled very low in the water, so low it now looks like a monohull and thus is likely to sink completely? Like these guys, lost their rudder and guess what? Boat was untowable as it sank -- fortunately the two crew were picked up.
Is it my imagination, or do I sometimes detect a quantum of glee in the posts of mono hullers when the subject is a cat in trouble?
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 01:54   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
Is it my imagination, or do I sometimes detect a quantum of glee in the posts of mono hullers when the subject is a cat in trouble?
I hope not because at the end of the day it was someones pride and joy. It would be heart breaking if we lost our little yacht after 10 years of ownership because we have had such great adventures in her.

However, I am interested in what goes wrong, what folk did about it and if it worked.

Do we know if Wicked Salty completely submerged or just flooded bows down?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 02:34   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Do we know if Wicked Salty completely submerged or just flooded bows down?
Pete
According to the Blog the boat sank completely - cause is unknown AFAI

For SeaSlug - please edit
From "Surprised that a hole in the stern lead to complete flooding of the boat though."
To "Surprised that a hole in the stern lead to complete flooding of stbd hull though."
Old 16-10-2017, 02:40   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Looking at the pictures posted earlier , with Seawind owners penchant for parking on rocks this can't come soon enough
So idiots parking boats on rocks is a design fault? Your ability to be illogical amazes me more each day.

DO YOU HAVE ANY MULTIHULL EXPERIENCE AT ALL?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 02:43   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
I certainly hope not.

This sort of severe damage is heartbreaking even for those only observing.

I was once involved (peripherally) in some air crash investigations. These were even more heartbreaking, as loss of life is more common, but nevertheless an investigation into the cause of the accident was nearly always valuable and invariably held important lessons for pilots, aircraft manufacturers and ground personnel.

I think it is a pity that threads like this so often become derailed into cat versus mono arguments. I don't quite see the relevance of showing photos of other sunk boats that seemingly don't have anything in common or any connection to the boat in question.

In many of these cases the details are unfortunately not known, but there are many smart people on the forum and even informed speculation based on the photos, location, newspaper reports, attitude of the boat etc etc can prove useful in avoiding these sort of accidents in future.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 05:26   #40

For SeaSlug: this thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ks-192185.html is far more appropriate for you.
Lots of good information and stories of monohulls being sunk by sink drains.
Who would have thought it? Not catamaran owners that's for sure.

Probably there are many many threads on monos sinking due to thru hull fittings, pipes etc. Have fun.
Old 16-10-2017, 06:17   #41

Do we know the model of the op pictured boat beacause if it is a 1260 it does have inboards . If the description of the accident is accurate it is possible that the aft and mid sections of the boat would be flooded and perhaps the forward locker flooded from the top or a vent . The undamaged hull is doing a good job of holding it up .
Boy I felt sorry for that couple in the video whose boat sank , what a terrible situation to see your boat go under
Old 16-10-2017, 07:00   #42
smj

Should Seawind owners see this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
Do we know the model of the op pictured boat beacause if it is a 1260 it does have inboards . If the description of the accident is accurate it is possible that the aft and mid sections of the boat would be flooded and perhaps the forward locker flooded from the top or a vent . The undamaged hull is doing a good job of holding it up .
Boy I felt sorry for that couple in the video whose boat sank , what a terrible situation to see your boat go under

It's the 10m which has the twin Yamaha 9.9's. The Seawind 1000 is one of my favorite cats but it's not set up as well as the PDQ 36 in respect to watertight bulkheads.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-10-2017, 09:53   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
In many of these cases the details are unfortunately not known, but there are many smart people on the forum and even informed speculation based on the photos, location, newspaper reports, attitude of the boat etc etc can prove useful in avoiding these sort of accidents in future.
Fundamentally agree, but the OPs intent is evident in the title of the thread, his aim was clearly to dis a particular brand and not to provide information useful to any cruiser. In case you hadn't already worked it out his user name is also an attempt to dis that particular brand.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 10:14   #44

I know of a pdq 36 that grounded many years ago of the east coast of Canada and ripped a big gash down one side . It floated of the reef at the next high tide and was repaired .
Old 16-10-2017, 11:47   #45
smj

My favorite PDQ 36 story is the one that was being abandoned somewhere north of Cuba. The US Coast Guard fired I believe over 1000 rounds from a 50 caliber machine gun into her to scuttle her, she still wouldn't go down! They had to jump on board with fire axes to finish her of.

Tags
Seawind, wind