Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2017, 14:03   #76
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Should Seawind owners see this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsketcher View Post
For those wanting to know more about survivability on a compromised multi a great read is the classic "Case for the cruising trimaran". In this book Jim Brown logically goes through the issues with multis and being holed and capsized. It is my favourite, and most treasured multihull read and shows that proper analysis of holings and capsizes can make us better prepared ourselves. It is about 30 years old but still highly relevant today - plus Brown is a dead set legend.

http://www.outrigmedia.com/books/cruising-trimaran.html

Funny you mention Jim Brown, as my wife and I had dinner with him last night. Sharp as a tack, full of great stories and a true gentleman.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 14:09   #77

Re: Should Seawind owners see this?

Quote:
So they now have some real data to consider when thinking about safety. I think that is a good thing. Personally, I would recommend a nice big RIB as this hasn't happened before and there are lots of Seawinds out there, but it could happen again. Or they could get busy with epoxy and more glass near that rudder.

cheers

Phil
And that is the whole point.

We can learn from these incidents.

Does/should/will Seawind have a responsibility to inform all those owners of this problem?.

Threads like this do their part in highlighting potential problems, and cruisers forum should be thanked for providing a platform for this to take place..
Old 19-10-2017, 14:17   #78
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
And that is the whole point.

We can learn from these incidents.

Does/should/will Seawind have a responsibility to inform all those owners of this problem?.

Threads like this do their part in highlighting potential problems, and cruisers forum should be thanked for providing a platform for this to take place..

I think the point is we don't even know what the problem was. What was the actual extent of the damage? Find that out then we have a conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-10-2017, 14:30   #79

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I think the point is we don't even know what the problem was. What was the actual extent of the damage? Find that out then we have a conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
That's no fun.

It is a lot more entertaining to engage in wild unfounded speculation about boats we have never sailed on and in many cases never seen except in pictures. Especially if we have some type of grudge against a particular make of boat.

There use to be a deck officer on an oil tanker who made the comment on CF that talking about which under 80 feet is most seaworthy is like talking about which midget is the tallest.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 14:37   #80
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
That's no fun.

It is a lot more entertaining to engage in wild unfounded speculation about boats we have never sailed on and in many cases never seen except in pictures. Especially if we have some type of grudge against a particular make of boat.

There use to be a deck officer on an oil tanker who made the comment on CF that talking about which under 80 feet is most seaworthy is like talking about which midget is the tallest.

Yes, common sense doesn't seem to be in fashion nowadays.
Old 19-10-2017, 15:16   #81

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
I am told that Seawind has updated their website to include a warning that, if one should park their boat on a reef and tear out the bottom of one of their hulls, the boat will tow lopsided.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 15:46   #82
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
I am told that Seawind has updated their website to include a warning that, if one should park their boat on a reef and tear out the bottom of one of their hulls, the boat will tow lopsided.

:-)......
Old 19-10-2017, 17:17   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Well that's a start , tho how helpful it will be to monohullers who are used to their boats being like that is questionable.
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 19:18   #84

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Okay, I'll bite.

[QUOTE=tomfl;2502692]That's no fun.

QUOTE]

I actually wrote the boat test on the Seawind 1000 about 20 years ago for Multihull World magazine. I sail on Seawinds and have many friends with them. I like them. I asked our boat designer to design the cockpit of our boat like a Seawind because the cockpit was so kid friendly and our kids loved sailing on the boat. It is not speculation to see a well built and designed multi flooded and then think - "How can I ensure that my family is safe if the same thing happens to me?" This is normal risk avoidance. It isn't anti any one type of boat.

Or we could just get cranky with others. Bad things happen to all boats. Our job is to minimise the risks but to do that we must accept where our boats have issues we could address.

Then again my dad died sailing, due to a really simple and avoidable issue. So for me the idea of being careful and open eyed about risk may have extra emphasis.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 20:32   #85

Quote:
It isn't anti any one type of boat.
Phil
Perhaps SeaSlug is not phrasing his posts carefully enough.
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 02:47   #86

May I just say to those that think this flotation equilibrium in the OP is a one off.

Take a look at this.

That was with one google search.

I suspect there are many more.
Old 20-10-2017, 02:54   #87
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Phil (Catsketcher) I am sure you are not immediately thinking of selling your boat just because BWR went over. And that I think is many peoples point, just because one boat has an issue does not mean its a systemic problem.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 02:56   #88
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
May I just say to those that think this flotation equilibrium in the OP is a one off.

Take a look at this.
There is another seawind in the background, its floating - what happened there?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 03:16   #89

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Absolutely Factor - I love my boat, and Seawind owners love theirs, as they should, they are great boats.

What I am interested in is making our boats even better. If we look at problems logically then we can fix them. I talked to the owner of BWR and was really interested in why they flipped. It made me a little concerned to see a more stable cat upside down but when talking to the owner I worked out how to avoid many of their issues. The more I understood about the problems, the less likely I am to flip as well. Knowledge is power. Wise people learn from others mistakes. I have made enough of my own.

I hope we can learn more about the Seawind in Exmouth. If it did rips its guts out, then there is not much to be learnt. If it was a rudder tube issue, I think most Seawind owners would want to know about it so they can look at making their boats safer from a potential problem. If someone can advise us with any more info about the reason for the water ingress we could speculate less and learn more.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 11:12   #90

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:

Take a look at this.

That was with one google search.

I suspect there are many more.
No doubt there are many more, prompting another warning from Seawind:

"If you are T-boned at anchor by a 65' steel purse seiner and lose your rig, the boat will float crooked."

We can do this all day.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Seawind, wind