Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2020, 08:46   #1

Simpson Slipstream 15 / Opinions?

I have looked and looked and haven't been able to find much information on these cats and I foresee going and viewing one currently for sale in western Canada https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1998/custom-simpson-slipstream-15-3618291/

Understandably a description and a handful of photos only goes so far but what is everyones opinion on this design and overall world cruising ability. I do know that it is glass over ply which I will definitely look at with scrutiny. Did the design originally call for a wheel in the salon?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as this is a lot of boat for the money and for a guy whoms wife forbade him from building a Wharram in the garage this might be a great opportunity.
CaverCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:42   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Simpson Slipstream 15 / Opinions?

That boat has either been for sale for years or it sold recently and now is for sale again. It was a fsbo on CL at around $229K prior to the listing. The specs say balsa core not plywood btw. The old pics showed more detail. I remember some interesting top side paint which may be repairs. Also there was a possibility of an issue around the daggerboard trunks. There was an interior pic that showed what might have been a water stain on the maple paneling. I also wonder if it's an epoxy build.

I do like the boat however and these possible defects are only possible and need to be looked at closer. If I was in the market for a big one I would definitely consider it
Old 06-05-2020, 10:07   #3

Thanks,

I had been seeing it on CL for a long time as well which made me finally inquire about it. Thank you for your observations.
Old 06-05-2020, 17:20   #4

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Simpson designs are well known in Australia for being solid cruising designs. His Slipstream 15 was one of his racier designs. There was one that was raced in Far North Queensland.

The original versions had a flat and very slopey front to the cabin which would have been terrible in the sun. This boat has a far better cabin front.

A Slipstream would be a great cruiser for some who wants a large but higher performance cat at a good price. Having built a cedar/ply boat 20 years ago that I love still, I am always a little mystified with reluctance of people to consider wood composite - balsa can be problematic - and I am currently fixing some balsa panels on a small project I own. But cedar and ply can be such a good fit IF and this is a big if, if the construction does not include lots of screws and bolts penetrating the structure. In fact wood makes more sense in the age of uni chainplates and boltless fittings.
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 20:44   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsketcher View Post
Simpson designs are well known in Australia for being solid cruising designs. His Slipstream 15 was one of his racier designs. There was one that was raced in Far North Queensland.

The original versions had a flat and very slopey front to the cabin which would have been terrible in the sun. This boat has a far better cabin front.

A Slipstream would be a great cruiser for some who wants a large but higher performance cat at a good price. Having built a cedar/ply boat 20 years ago that I love still, I am always a little mystified with reluctance of people to consider wood composite - balsa can be problematic - and I am currently fixing some balsa panels on a small project I own. But cedar and ply can be such a good fit IF and this is a big if, if the construction does not include lots of screws and bolts penetrating the structure. In fact wood makes more sense in the age of uni chainplates and boltless fittings.
Agree with all that. I particularly endorse the comments about the more modern solutions to chain plates etc actually making cedar etc an even more compelling choice.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 15:17   #6

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaverCop View Post
I have looked and looked and haven't been able to find much information on these cats and I foresee going and viewing one currently for sale in western Canada https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1998/custom-simpson-slipstream-15-3618291/

Understandably a description and a handful of photos only goes so far but what is everyones opinion on this design and overall world cruising ability. I do know that it is glass over ply which I will definitely look at with scrutiny. Did the design originally call for a wheel in the salon?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as this is a lot of boat for the money and for a guy whoms wife forbade him from building a Wharram in the garage this might be a great opportunity.
Seems petty expensive for a boat that old with Balsa or Plywood coring (both bad in my view) You are aware that there's a couple of Knysna 44s for sale at that price but a few years newer aren't you? No Balsa or plywood in either one.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 17:15   #7

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I think the OP is interested in this one because it's local here in the PNW.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:58   #8

https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-...pstream/246831

This one just sold in Aus. Had water ingress in some balsa panels hence price.
I like the look with the hull flare but also not keen on the sloped front windows.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:03   #9

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-...pstream/246831

This one just sold in Aus. Had water ingress in some balsa panels hence price.
I like the look with the hull flare but also not keen on the sloped front windows.
The original built by Dinko Spehar
Impressive beasty in the day, painted green and gold and had a large chord wing mast on her
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:59   #10

The one in Australia is U$ 91,500.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 12:24   #11

Thanks all for the insight on the simpson cats. I am still weighing the options and would have gotten back sooner but have spent the last 5 days out on the water in my current SV.