Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2008, 02:04   #1

Size matters ?

Hi all have narrowed my search down to a few makes of cats now for our voyage.
One question remains what size there is only 2 of us
possible over the pond use
38' or 40' to 42' ???
Any views please.
redbreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 02:44   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Go the biggest boat you feel confident handling alone, its not necessarilly about length its also about systems etc,
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 03:19   #3

Boat: MANTA 42, before Morgan 41 Classic, GibSea 106
My personal opinion, itīs not nesessarily length, but "operational handling design".
I have chosen the MANTA 42 for different reasons, but one for sure is "operational handling characteristics" for a small crew. I my case: 2 persons.
Good luck with your pending decision!
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 04:07   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I have to agree - LOA is decidedly not the issue when one is considering varying designs of cats between 38 and 42 feet. There can be significant differences in construction, bridgedeck clearance, displacement, performance, layout, etc., etc. Why not share your short list?

brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 04:30   #5
DWT

As to the size of a cat. The 1st. is can I single handle the boat... is it set up for that and 2nd. being my biggest problem is where to dock or store the boat. The canal system I am on can handle a 23' wide but, the boat I would like to have is close to 25' and I am not sure the neighbors would like that. Something else maybe to think about.

David
69 Morgan 30'
CarolAnn
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 08:49   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I am 46ft X 23ft 3in, and finding a spot to haul is more difficult. Also my wife, and I sail the boat alone. Which mostly is me single-handing with an extra pair of eyes, so I can sleep.

My 2 headsails are roller furling, and the main is slab reef which is from the mast. At times it can be a WEE BIT JERKY at the mast when the seas are on the beam. I don't like it, but it is what I have for now. Reefing from the cockpit is next years goal!!!!!!!!!!!!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 22:47   #7

Boat: Robertson & Caine Leopard 43
Good point on haul-out spots. We have been able to squeeze our Leopard 38 (21 FT 3 IN) into yards that advertise a 21 FT beam max. For some reason, this seems to be a common "max" from the Keys to BVIs. Any larger, and our haul-out options would have gone down significantly.
dworkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 05:55   #8

Boat: Catana 471
Regarding haul out

Where to haul out big beam cats & tris is a real issue if you limit your hauling hardware to the typical travel lifts. Don't overlook the advantage of having a boat typically much lighter than a similar length mono >>> you can haul using a crane (many monos can do this as well). You can also haul using a trailer set up to lift on the bridge deck.

Hauling with a crane with slings positioned just like in a travel lift is straightforward, and the boat won't know the difference. Just make sure the crane is using spreader bars to keep the inward component from exerting too much "squeeze" on the hulls. Tris can lift from just the center (narrower) hull which reduces this concern.

Catanas have lifting eyes built into the side shroud chain plates specifically for lifting with a crane. These carry approx. 98% of the load with the rest expected to the stern, obviously dependent on distribution of "transient" weight aboard the boat. Pads on the rear crossbeam are used to balance the lifted rig. See pic below. On this lift the weight was slightly forward, but almost exactly balanced - note the slack in the forward rigging. Forward deck cleats were used for balancing.

See also pic below of a trailer style hauling method. Self explanatory.

Bottom line - don't think you're limited to using a extra wide travel lift to haul your boat.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crane.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	3632   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	3633  

2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 08:07   #9

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Maybe it's my eyesight, but that boat doesn't seem to have rudders or saildrives.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 08:14   #10

Boat: Catana 471
Yep, I think you're right. Not my boat. Maybe it has warp drive?

Seriously, that would explain why this lift was balanced or bow heavy - if the engines or drives + rudders were removed.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 08:32   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Had the boat hauled in St. Maarten with an antique crane. The man handling the crane was an artist. This was before I painted the boat, and changed the rest of the canvas.

In the slip in St. Augustine with only room left for the straps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imagine_a_tite_fit[1].JPG
Views:	203
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	3634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Murmel n straps.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	3635  

imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 11:37   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
There are only three or four marinas in the Chesapeake bay that can handle more than a twenty foot beam. There are slips for wider boats, but they are few and expensive. While its very possible to buy a boat that needs more crew than you have to safely handle, you should remember that the longer waterline will have a better motion in short choppy waves and wakes. On the other hand, provisions for four are a lot lighter and easier to store than for six or eight. Consider four people the minimum crew for watchstanding longer than a few days.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 14:55   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Bigger than 40 ft makes the cat in general more comfortable look at the lenght to beam ratio , a minimum of 50 % beam is preferred but 55 % is even bettter
Greetings
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 14:57   #14

Arrow Views on Catana 411

Ok so views on ratios for the Catana 411 or the Outremer new to all this so any thoughts please.
redbreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 15:44   #15

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I'm probably a lone voice in the wilderness here, but I would be more concerned with the complexity of systems than a few feet of length as this will have a much greater impact on your enjoyment of the cruising experience.
Every piece of equipment you add needs to be purchased, installed, operated, serviced, repaired and replaced. Read time and money.
Ports around the world are full of cruisers waiting for parts. If you don't have it in the first place you could be out cruising instead.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote