Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2018, 16:09   #61

Boat: 50' Ligure power cat
Re: Sizing engines for a cruising catamaran

I know the OP is talking sailing cats, but I did a little study of larger power cats and their engines, including fuel consumption. Now the figures used are published by the manufacturers (eek!) or through real life where I could find/get them.

Essentially the formula 11.27 x LOA - 280 gives a good approximation for the size of each engine. You can also use displacement (even dodgier numbers from manufacturers) and have 0.6501 x displacement - 14.637 for each engine's size. These both give >80% correlation with the data points.

Fuel economy is all over the place though.

Comments welcome!
bluenomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 12:02   #62

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Interesting. Far less correlation than I’d expect but as you said these are manufacturer numbers. For the smaller Yanmar and Volvo marine engines there is pretty much a straight line correlation between horsepower and fuel consumption over a broad range of rpm.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 14:55   #63

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenomads View Post
I know the OP is talking sailing cats, but I did a little study of larger power cats and their engines, including fuel consumption. Now the figures used are published by the manufacturers (eek!) or through real life where I could find/get them.

Essentially the formula 11.27 x LOA - 280 gives a good approximation for the size of each engine. You can also use displacement (even dodgier numbers from manufacturers) and have 0.6501 x displacement - 14.637 for each engine's size. These both give >80% correlation with the data points.

Fuel economy is all over the place though.

Comments welcome!
What units are we using here for LOA and displacement?

Thanks!
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:26   #64

Boat: Wharram Tiki 38 catamaran

Hi everyone. I am about to replace 2 14.5 HP Nanni Diesels on my 38" catamaran. I was offered to change to Beta engines (14HP) because of big delay in supply times. Did anyone have experience with small Beta motors on Catamarans? The Nanni worked for the first 15 years of my boat life but had salt water cooling and suffered from internal corrosion. Any take on the difference between Nanni and Beta small motors will be appreciated (yes...i am aware they are both based on a Kubota motor block).
Thanks in advance
BigZ
S/Y Touchwood
BigZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, cruising, engine