Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2017, 12:55   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Skipper qualifications for self delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Commercial vessels and pleasure craft are two entirely different situations
In the US, commercial, commercial fishing and pleasure are three different animals. I'd rather ship with a commercial fishing captain who requires the least certification basically none as does the pleasure boater. Virtually anyone can get a six pack or a 100 ton license in the US pleasure wise.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 13:06   #17
Marine Service Provider

Insurance companies dictate crew requirements for all operations big or small. No insurance? No problem. As for seaworthiness, yes government agencies can and do dictate within the waters of many countries. That's if they find out about that decrepit piece of junk you want to sail to Tahiti. Insurance companies are now starting to require licensed personnel on yachts large that about 60' LOA. They are tired of paying claims of people with more money that skill (I was going to say "brains").
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 14:36   #18

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
There was a case in New Zealand a few years ago where a visiting yacht was refused exit clearance several times on the grounds of seaworthiness. The yacht was untidy but essentially seaworthy. Officials playing the aesthetics police .... brrr.
Foreign boat not allowed to leave. - Page 12 - Marine Talk - Crew.org.nz
The guy victimized was a bit of a non-conformist and was growing vegetables on the yacht amongst other things.
There have been a number of recreational yachts that the NZ Govt has tried to prevent from leaving in recent years. And there are usually pretty good reasons they do so. But non-NZ registered vessels can’t be stopped. But who pays for the search/retrieval when the yacht gets into trouble or is lost? The NZ tax payer.

A couple of examples: US registered Nina 2013 (6 people lost), and Norwegian registered Berserk 2011 (3 lost).
Old 01-03-2017, 05:00   #19

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Quote (of a quote): "The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea"

Hm... Sweat and tears, our Karen was familiar with. "The sea", not so much. Her meaning when she said "the sea" in this context, was "getting away" from (an oppressive) family.

Interestingly, Rungsted, some few miles north of Copenhagen where she spent her childhood, was then a small fishing village. It now has a very excellent yacht harbour.

TrentePieds
The Baroness did indeed live an interesting life. And I'm pretty sure that when I considered "running away to sea" at an early age it was for similar reasons. The sea has always represented escape from opression as well as new adventures.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
There have been a number of recreational yachts that the NZ Govt has tried to prevent from leaving in recent years. And there are usually pretty good reasons they do so. But non-NZ registered vessels can’t be stopped. But who pays for the search/retrieval when the yacht gets into trouble or is lost? The NZ tax payer.

A couple of examples: US registered Nina 2013 (6 people lost), and Norwegian registered Berserk 2011 (3 lost).
I'm not familiar with the Berserk but the Nina was certainly a great tragedy. Unfortunately NZ is a small country with a large area of responsibility in this respect, due to her huge exclusion zone (EEZ).

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
Old 01-03-2017, 09:31   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
I'm looking for similar, thought trying to stay below 10.5m for marina fees. Slim pickings out there at the moment (unless you like catalacs ��). Good luck on the search.
Lots of Heavenly Twins around too.

This is the one I've been negotiating. I'm passing on it due to the need for some running repairs (mostly instruments) but it may suit you. Since I'll be pressed for time due to my visa I can't be doing much in the way of repairs, and she's a bit lacking in water capacity for my intended use as well. However as a coastal cruiser, ideal ... especially with the radar and Navtex.

Beneteau Blue II for sale UK, Beneteau boats for sale, Beneteau used boat sales, Beneteau Sailing Yachts For Sale Beneteau Blue 11 fast cruiser catamaran REDUCED ALL OFFERS CONSIDERED - Boat Helm

John's a lovely old guy, if you contact him let him know I sent you.

Rob

Tags
delivery, skipper