Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 09:49   #1

Sleeping Arrangments

Are there any cats out there in the 35' to 45' range where one person doesn't have to climb over the other to get out of bed?

Serious question, unfortunately...

Steve
Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:16   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Hi, Meerkat, and welcome to the Forum.

To answer your question, yes. I appreciate the seriousness of it, too. One of our criteria when looking for a mid-size cat was also the sleeping arrangements. Many popular cats in this range have crawl-over berths. They can be like the Lagoon 410's (laid cross-wise across the boat, in an aft compartment) or laid up on the bridgedeck, going fore-aft (Voyage). Either way, you still have to crawl over your mate.

There are other boats that have what some have called "muzzle-loaders", like the Mantas and Lagoon 380's, where one crawls into the berth from the end. You don't have to go over your mate, with those, but in our experience sleeping on both boats, we tended to disturb each other.

Our boat, a St. Francis 44, has the beds over the bridgedeck, but placed side to side rather than fore-aft. You crawl up into them, but not over your mate. Since they are queen size, we have plenty of room to get in/out without disturbing the other.

Some boats, like the F-P 43 and 46, most Leopards, and PDQ 42/44 have semi-island beds. You can "sort of" get in on one side or the end, but you still end up having to crawl over the other, at least partly.

There are a few boats, like the Lagoon 420 and 440, that have island beds, where one can get in from one side or the other by stepping up onto the platform. But, those beds let you do that by having cut off the lower corners on both sides. If you tend to dangle a foot over the corner of your bed, you'll end up having your foot off of these beds. They also have quite wide beams well aft in the boat, which tends to slow the boat down (more so on the 420, less so on the 440).

Everything's a compromise, at least until you get into the 50+ footers. Even then, just that the compromises are less obvious.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:43   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
The Endeavourcat 44 has a queen birth in the master cabin that can be entered from either side. It is located on the bridge deck, the aft cabins are muzzle loaders.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 13:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
There are other boats that have what some have called "muzzle-loaders", like the Mantas and Lagoon 380's, where one crawls into the berth from the end. You don't have to go over your mate ...
ID
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
... the aft cabins are muzzle loaders.
What an aptly descriptrive term!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 15:21   #5

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
Agree, does sound as bit odd.I have 2 spare double berths starboard side if anyone wants to climb into bed as i dont want a any muzzle-loaders climbing over me particulary if Im have a nice quiet little nap.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 15:48   #6

Check out the Privilege 445. It has a single queen on the forward bridge-deck that actually spans the two hulls. You can dismount to the port hull while your partner can dismount into the starboard.

Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:02   #7

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat View Post
Are there any cats out there in the 35' to 45' range where one person doesn't have to climb over the other to get out of bed?

Serious question, unfortunately...

Steve
Event Horizon has already posted about the owner's verion of the Privilege 435/445. In the more usual 4 cabin layout the two forward cabins have access from the bottom of the berth so no climbing over required.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:46   #8
jkd

I think the most annoying are the "muzzle loaders" that you need to climb into then do a back flip to get your head back to where you climbed in at due to the widest point being at the entry and no vents at the far end so you have no air back there. (Athena 38)
jkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:09   #9

Boat: s/v Giro Lagoon 380 S2 #409
Send a message via Skype™ to twowheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Event_Horizon View Post
Check out the Privilege 445. It has a single queen on the forward bridge-deck that actually spans the two hulls. You can dismount to the port hull while your partner can dismount into the starboard.
While the idea is excellent what's the impact to bridge-deck clearance? I haven't seen one up close so I can't say for sure but I'd be afraid this one would be a slammer.
twowheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:22   #10

Maxingout spoke about the slap on his Privilege 39 here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...4&postcount=11

The clearance on the larger models should be greater so I'm ASSUMING it isn't too much of a problem unless anyone can confirm otherwise. Maybe I just have faith in Privilege to build a solid boat (I can't really recall any terrible accounts on them or "major" complaints).
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:35   #11

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
My experience is that, at least on my boat, these large forward cabins are pretty much unusable in any kind of seaway. We pretty much have to use the aft cabins at sea. If you can sleep unrestrained going from 0-6gs or more they may be usable for you, otherwise they're an inport cabin. Very nice in port however.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 14:27   #12

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43
The new Fountaine Pajot Orana 44 comes with I believe island beds in the aft cabins and semi island at the forward ones.

Must agree it's a problem increasing as age creep up on you! Our FP Belize 43 sport quite roomy aft cabins with semi island bed in the aft cabins and are also accessible from the footend so you don't have to climb over your partner.

Must say that the aft cabins are the only ones I would use when at sea, don't much enjoy the elevator experience up front.

Happy lead free sailin
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 14:59   #13

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheel View Post
While the idea is excellent what's the impact to bridge-deck clearance? I haven't seen one up close so I can't say for sure but I'd be afraid this one would be a slammer.
Bridgedeck clearance is excellent. The owners version has exactly the same hull as the standard version. The owners cabin doesn't have much headroom above the berth... sitting room only.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 17:46   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Must say that the aft cabins are the only ones I would use when at sea, don't much enjoy the elevator experience up front.
You bring up a good point. I'd assumed no one used their forward berths at sea, but perhaps some do? I've always looked at em the same way I look at V-Berth torture chambers on a mono...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote