Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2022, 18:40   #16

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat
Re: Small cabin cats

Look at the Jarcat 5 (5.2m) and Jarcat 6 (6m) for protected waters. Plans are still available I believe, and if you are in Oz there's often secondhand that come up; there are a few in the US as well.
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 18:49   #17

Boat: EDELCAT33

Trey WOODS a design

http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/ind...5ft/163-gwahir
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 18:54   #18

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post

Easy to build quite fast
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 21:21   #19

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

As above, bit the Wizard seems a better and more modern option with more interior space.
Sails nice, has bridgedeck space and standing headroom in a sheltered anchorage.

See here too:
http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/ind...ans-under-25ft
Old 28-09-2022, 06:19   #20

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Solaris Sunbeam 24?
Attachment 265046

Yes that's the one I was thinking of. Not many made as expensive for the size.

A Wood's Strider or Strider Club would do the job, Both trailable after collapsing the beams. The Club requires a little more to take down and reassembly because of the rigid bridgedeck. There is plenty of room in a hull for head.

The Gwahir has narrower hulls and internal ribs and very few if any other than Richard's original were built.

There are some baby folderble tris that would fit the bill if a cat is not essential.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 04:32   #21

Boat: Imexus 28

I have cruised extensively using a Jarcat 6 including the longest time on water being over 5 weeks in the Whitsunday Islands on The Great Barrier Reef here in Australia. During that 5 weeks cruise we went into Hamilton Island and resupplied just once.
The Jarcat 6 is very light to tow, very stable and with a larger (18hp) outboard can also plane at high speed (about 14knots) becoming a motor/powersailer.
We actually cruised in a number of different locations on a 4 month in total holiday as well as used it as our land based caravan/tent equivalent taking it into the remote central Australian desert and about as far from navigable water as you can get on planet earth.
The middle photo is dried out in Hill Inlet (close to Whitehaven Beach) overnight and amongst huge schools of stingrays as the water retreated.
If you look closely at the last photo ( taken from a cave high on a close by hill) you can see the circling eagle. I think he must have though a meal of lost and dying sailers was in the offing.
The Jarcat 6 has a narrow but long double bed and two coffin style under cockpit seat single berths, sit up at the kitchen on the double bed and we had a porta potty in one bow corner with curtain. Big open cockpit with a bimini that made a great covered outdoor area.
Having recently retired I have moved up to a 28 foot trailable cruiser that is a lot more comfortable and a lot more expensive.
The Jarcats are however a great little light camping cruiser catamaran.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00527A28-0223-418C-B8A6-502A2E5357F0.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	467.5 KB
ID:	265111   Click image for larger version

Name:	6D08EF89-AED7-4815-9716-3C212FA1BF1E.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	265112  

Click image for larger version

Name:	949E861C-F298-4BD4-9AD0-D919AF9851B0.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	265113  
Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 07:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I'm a long-time small multihull lover, and the math for a cabin just does not work below 30'. Either go mono, F-boat, or a cat where you live in the hulls.

If you want a multihull, look at trimarans below 30'. There are many (I have an F-24).
I second the Corsair 24. Had one and set it up for cruising. Not to expensive to buy or upgrade.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:12   #23

Go to Boatshed.com archives which will give you examples of the length you are interested in.
isaacsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:26   #24

Boat: dreaming of a Mac 65

Have you looked at this?:
https://corsairmarine.com/corsair-760/
rsementi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:59   #25

If all you need is privacy for a head , then a Wharram will do as a day boat. If you’re planning on overnight I’m pretty sure you’ll start missing a cabin though unless you’re a tent camper.

You might want to look at the new generation of smaller cats if you’re willing to build yourself. There’s a plethora of really nice small catamaran designs out there by French and German designers.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 13:41   #26

Might look for a Katfisher 28

Tom LaMers
thlamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 14:01   #27

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Hirondelle Is probably your best bet, coming from a Beach Cat. Trouble tacking rudder goes in on an angle and can cut speed as you turn.
Heavenly twins is 26ft fairly slow, lots about
Summer Twins 25ft rare as hens teeth but actually a much bigger boat than the 26ft Heavenly it replaced.
Solaris 24 looks interesting.
But I think you already nailed your best option on the Hirondelle. They sail pretty well, and if your going to roll it up the beach probably your lightest option.
Other options a Tristar or Nougat, 26ft trailer Trimaran. Nougat is about as rare as finding a golden filling in a hens tooth. and you probably can’t even tell the difference between the two anyway. Both of which really can move.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 14:01   #28

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

There is an aft cabin version of the Farrier F-27.
Very cool boat.
You could put a toilet in the aft cabin.

Btw. I love the Jarcat 6 shown above. Looks like a nice little boat.
Old 03-10-2022, 14:16   #29

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I'm a long-time small multihull lover, and the math for a cabin just does not work below 30'. Either go mono, F-boat, or a cat where you live in the hulls.

If you want a multihull, look at trimarans below 30'. There are many (I have an F-24).
Interesting quote, why doesn’t the math work below 30ft and what would you consider a good cabin on a 30ft?
I am yet to find a Cat below about 35ft laid out better than the one I have already. at 25ft
I guess. I could agree that the sailing is no better than a similar length mono most of the time, but the cabin is superb.
Kitchen in one hull, head in the other water tank in the middle as are the batteries. Seating for 6 they say (easily 4) large sofa / bed between mast post and bulkhead, you could sleep there if you were 8ft tall.
2 x doubles to the rear 7ft x 4ft.
The cabin layout is so good, I saw a 37ft goose for sale at the weekend and the admiral was not interested to look. Same as the 46ft Tri which was described as “no space”
Not sure I wholeheartedly agree with the Admiral, but gives some idea of the challenge, understandably the faster goose interests me.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 23:41   #30

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfoh69 View Post
I am hoping for 24 or less.

Didn't read the entire thread, but if no-one has suggested Jarcat, google them.

One 5m, 6m and one 7m, all 2.4m wide (for legal trailering in Australia).

The longer one is tippier due to limited beam, but if building could be built wider, but then only trailerable with a permit.

These had standing head room in the hulls, and a double berth on the bridgedeck between them.

Not renowned for anything much and were very much a niche product.

If sailed conservatively they are hard to tip over.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin