Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2009, 12:57   #16

Boat: catalac 8M catamaran 27ft
Yup, coincidence, but the world is smaller than one thinks...

That Hobart seemed to have had major reconstructions done !
I would never go for something like this...
It is also mentioned the original cat could do it...
So it does not really mean there are issues with the original design (which one should stick to or only heavily modify after talking to the designer himself)

As for the Iroquois in BC, you are right, better to look at boats closer to home or less expensive ones still further away (it costs to travel and go out to look at boats too...)

I intend to go and look at an Iroquois in the coming weeks with my wife, this will be the real go/nogo to keep on looking for this type of boats...

We hope too to find the boat that will allow us live our dreams !!!

Old 18-02-2009, 13:54   #17

Guys, FYI, I did a quick search regarding that Hobart and it seems it has been recovered and returned to the French owners as they are now selling it ...
Hobart 900 - 900 - Sailboat : Cruising catamaran - Free classified ads - Used boats
On the link in this ad which points to another page the owner confirms it really is this same hobart.
They did manage to cross the Atlantic but had issues with the standing rig on the way and had to make a 'temporary fix' to keep the mast upright...
It seems one hull was 'smashed' by a big wave and breached, letting lots of water enter the hull, a second wave made an ever bigger whole in the hull and the owners (couple with two children decided to abandon ship which was still afloat and sailed away from them when they were in the liferaft (with the dinghy attached to it)...
(The eternal question of staying on board or not when something bad happens...)
Apparently the boat must have staid afloat as it has been recovered...
Old 19-02-2009, 06:20   #18

Hobart 900 (again)

Hi Brad,

From what I have been able to understand the Hobart I saw for sale is an frp construction and not plywood encapsulated.

As you mentioned, the design looks decent...
It also seems to have been built by 'Cat Marine', anybody has more information on this company, good/bad reputation? I know they also built some Derek Kelsall designed multihulls.
I will contact the seller and try get some more insight on his boat.

A thorough survey by a good surveyor will obviously be required, especially after reading the story of that other Hobart that had a hull smashed by some waves (but staid afloat and finally got recovered)...

If you can think of any specific questions I could (should) ask, just let me know. (even general questions valid for every type of cat)

Thanks !
Djeeke
Old 19-02-2009, 07:12   #19
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Djeeke, just looked at the one you are considering and yes, it does seem to be frp construction (whether it is cored or not, and if so with what is unknown). This one has fixed keels (the shape of which are difficult to discern from the photos), although it also seems to make use of an underbody shape somewhat similar to the Catalacs of the same vintage.

From what I can see, the construction does not seem to be up to the standards of the Iroquois; indeed, in terms of interior space, the aft cabins seem much smaller and the head compartment no larger. It also carries the coachouse both higher andurther forward.

I would say that the Iroqois would be a much better and safer sailor for the following reasons:
1. less weight in the ends
2. the Iroquois has 'knuckles' forward which will tend to reduce the tendancy to bury the bows.
3. the Iroquois has boards that will assist in performance by reducing drag when up, and improve windward performance when down.
4. the Iroquois has an open cockpit that will drain readily if deploying a series drogue.

Both boats will be tight as liveaboards, but the Iroqois seems the better boat to my eyes.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 10:46   #20

Windsong...

While I'm at it looking at different options, I also saw a 1989 Windsong for sale on yachtworld.com that is in my budget (I hate the paintjob done on it, it looks bad, even on the pictures...)
Who can comment on this one ? (apart from Richard from whom I expect some more info as he might know the boat personnaly )

Thanks guys !!!
I love this forum, your help is much appreciated and I hope this thread will be able to help others too !

Djeeke
Old 19-02-2009, 12:16   #21
CF Adviser

Djeeke, i didn't see the Windsong on yachtworld.com, although I did see a Fishercat in your price range. Not terrible speedy, but well built and roomy, to be sure. The Windsong, as I recall, was a Richard Woods design so he would definitely be the expert there.

Brad
Old 19-02-2009, 12:31   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Prout, Quasar, 50'
Windsong

Djeeke,
Saw the Windsong on yachtworld. What?! you don't like shamrock green? Have you no Irish in your blood?

The boat looks like it's been fairly well maintained, but think about the headroom. There doesn't appear to be much and bending over all the time can get tiresome, to say the least. I was the outboard and frankly, that's a real plus. If it goes kerplunk, it's easy and cheap to replace.

If you hear of anything in the Miami area, we can take a look at it for you. Just tell us what and where. We'll let you know if it's worth coming over to look at.

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
CruisersLife.com
Sea Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 12:46   #23

Hi Brad,

It is listed as '30 ft 1989 Woods Windsong Catamaran'
I'm sure Richard will tell me more about it ...
I had a quick a look at the Fisher, thx for the hint but I'll pass on this one ! (solid foredeck, huge cabin, lots of weight at the front we're afraid, and we don't like the looks of it but that's our personal opinion...)

Hi Loree !!!

Wow, thank you for the proposal ! Very much appreciated !
I'll have a look at the ones I already have on (still changing) shortlist to see if there is a serious candidate in your area !

Great that you propose to spend some of your spare time for a fellow sailor !

Euh, nope, no Irish in my blood, English is not my mother tongue and I sometimes have difficulties with some boating terminology but that's OK, I'm learning

Not that I don't like the shamrock green, to me it just looks as if it was done by an amateur, but it might be an impression and look better as it does to me on the pictures...

Thanks again !
Old 19-02-2009, 13:08   #24
CF Adviser

Djeeke, I agree with all of your comments on the Fisher as a long-distance voyager, but as a small and inexpensive liveaboard cat, it fit the bill. The Windsong appears to have had the front aluminum cross-member torn from the port hull - and the repair looks decidedly unsightly and unseaworthy. Otherwise (and bearing in mind the proviso about glass sheathed plywood), she looks like she would perform decently.

Brad
Old 19-02-2009, 13:15   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Prout, Quasar, 50'
Djeeke,
That green is a tad vibrant. I would venture a guess that the owner painted it himself and I don't think it will look better in person.

Do not apologize for your English. It is excellent and far better than that of some of my former co-workers, who were born here.

We'd be happy to check out anything in this area for you. As much as I'd love to hop over to the Bahamas to look at our Irish boat, that's not going to happen.

Regards,

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
CruisersLife.com
Sea Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 13:16   #26

Brad, you have eagle eyes !
If I would look for further info on this one I will certainly ask for clearer pictures of that area !
I really appreciate the time you spend looking at what I throw in here as I have kept you busy these last few days !

Old 19-02-2009, 13:28   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Wolf View Post
Djeeke,
That green is a tad vibrant. I would venture a guess that the owner painted it himself and I don't think it will look better in person.
My guess to
Old 20-02-2009, 14:08   #28

Richard, did you miss this question or am I just impatient

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeeke View Post
While I'm at it looking at different options, I also saw a 1989 Windsong for sale on yachtworld.com that is in my budget (I hate the paintjob done on it, it looks bad, even on the pictures...)
Who can comment on this one ? (apart from Richard from whom I expect some more info as he might know the boat personnaly )

Thanks guys !!!
I love this forum, your help is much appreciated and I hope this thread will be able to help others too !

Djeeke
Old 22-02-2009, 09:08   #29
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Why don't you have a look at the Catalac 9M in Bremerhaven? That's not so far from Brussels, is it?

1980 Catalac 9m Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 10:47   #30

Hi Rick,

You're right, Bremerhaven is only about 320 miles from where I live.
I have seen there are some catalac's for sale. (Talbot also pointed me out to one.)
Honestly they are not on the top of my list, but if the Iroquois cats we are planning to see don't work out we might turn towards a catalac or prout or alike, from what I understand they make excellent liveaboards.

Thanks for the hint

Tags
arc, liveaboard