Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2014, 04:58   #1

Snowgoose headroom?

I'm interested in the Prout 37' elite version but some of the low headrooms I've read about are too low for me. They are all over the place ranging from 5'3" to over 6' in the salon. John Kretschmer's review of the boat says 5'8". I understand some of the boats were customized which probably accounts for the variety of heights so it may be a matter of reviewing individual boats. Anyone know the actual headrooms or can confirm they vary a lot?
JohninTally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 05:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Snowgoose headroom?

it really depends on where you are standing as the floor is lowered along the central nacelle in the elite.
though 5'3 sounds about right.

some of the later elites also had a pod with plexiglass that made the door about 150mm higher than the standard door which is 1240 mm

both hulls you have full headroom.

i could give you an exact head room as i have a full set of plans for the elite if it is important.....but i'm still on my morning coffee at the moment,can pm me
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 05:58   #3

Thanks Atoll no need to measure, that's close enough. Enjoy your coffee, I'm already wired but a few hours ahead of you, haha!
To be clear, though, are you referring to the headroom through the companionway door or in the salon itself? I could live with stooping to go through the companionway but not throughout the salon.
Old 30-03-2014, 06:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninTally View Post
Thanks Atoll no need to measure, that's close enough. Enjoy your coffee, I'm already wired but a few hours ahead of you, haha!
To be clear, though, are you referring to the headroom through the companionway door or in the salon itself? I could live with stooping to go through the companionway but not throughout the salon.
immediatly inside the door is at the same height as the bridge deck,about 5'3,then running the lenth of the saloon is a step down about 9" giving a lowered floor about 2ft wide,between the saloon seats and back to the main bulkhead where the steering and fridge are.

when the elite was widened it was the nacell that was changed from the older narrower snowgoose design,to give this slight improvement in access height.

though a slight improvement ,you tend to sit down immediatly and shuffel along the saloon seats anyway,so height is not an issue.
but this did allow more leg room when seated around the saloon table.

have a look at the photos on po la la,and the one in thailand that has a floor plan to give you an idea in the links below

1993 Prout Snowgoose 37 Elite Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1993...huket/Thailand
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 09:11   #5

Thanks Atoll, that explains it perfectly! At 5-10 I can live with that, looks like I will keep this boat on my shortlist. I appreciate your taking the time to post such an informative reply, which from what I have read on this forum is characteristic of your posts. Have fun with your project, I will continue to follow it here with great interest.

Tags
head, headroom