Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2016, 09:41   #31

Boat: 44'8" North Pacific Pilothouse Trawler
Re: So I Got Hit By A Cruise Ship....

Filing an accident report is not an option in Alaska or for the USCG. Giddey up!
Glacier Crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 10:34   #32

I got hit while at anchor last November. I was VERY glad the guy who hit me had insurance. Bow pulpit needed straightening, two stanchions and lifelines wrecked, some gelcoat work on the gunwale. I am NOT an expert ss fabricator.

I'd also guess that this might occur more in our more heavily trafficked waters than "out there" but it happens.

Like almost everything else in boating, there is no one right answer for all.

Bashing insurance companies for starters is counter productive.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 11:11   #33

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

I have two more little tidbits to add for the benefit of the OP:

1] If the Coast Guard ever takes issue with you having two incidents that equal i/2 the value of your vessel, good luck explaining to them that you "forgot" to report. Don't expect the District Commander to slap you on the back and have a good laugh with you...

2] Comparing the repair of [potential] hidden structural damage on a boat with building houses and surfboards is apples/oranges. Just the cost of yard space alone is crippling on any lengthy repair. The cost of materials for boat repairs is also staggering. And the cost of experienced marine tradesmen if/when the repair goes beyond your capabilities??

The learning curve for inexperienced people in boat world is steep and expensive. If you are an old hand, you approach EVERYTHING with caution...

Again, I wish you the best...
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 12:27   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Among the reasons that law enforcement (USCG or otherwise) require a police report over a certain $ threshold, is to make sure the insurers are given that information. Ah, yes. The vessel that has been damaged and "perfectly" repaired is still considered to have a loss of value which gets noted and affects resale and insurance values in many cases--if the incident goes on record.

The cruise ship guy also gets a black mark on his insurance record and a rate increase on all his policies, which he may prefer to avoid, especially if he's got a high deductible already, or other incidents in past.
And then if it turns out, say, the boat that got speared by an Ama needs to have a half hull repainted to make the repair look invisible again? And that wasn't paid for? Now he's got to document the incident or come back against the OP and the ship owner both. That's when doing things the easy way can get complicated.

This is not to say doing things the easy way isn't the right way to do things sometimes. Sometimes it works very well, if all the parties are responsible and deal with things as "gentlemen". Sometimes...you give up your only protections if you do it that way.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 12:33   #35

Nice to see some people take responsibility for their actions.

We've recently had an experience that is in complete contrast. A rowing scull collided with our anchored boat at about 8 knots.

Very minor damage, just some paint knocked off, but the attitude taken makes me want to find some way to REALLY make them pay.

They got aggressive with my wife (I wasn't on board at the time) Tried to tell her we were at fault, (We were anchored in a designated anchorage) made a weird comment that we were "already taking on water" before the collision. (We weren't taking on water either before or AFTER they rammed us). They said they were ENTITLED to practise rowing here.

Crap like that. It's minor, non structural damage, if they'd just said sorry, I'd just fix it.

BUT they weren't keeping a proper lookout, didn't have either a coxswain or a coaching boat with them, and were exceeding the speed limit in a 4 knot zone.

The rowing club has refused to reply to several messages we've left with them.

SO, because of their attitude, I feel very much inclined to get the insurance company and their lawyers involved. A marine incident report has already been filed.

**** them.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 13:01   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
I have two more little tidbits to add for the benefit of the OP:

1] If the Coast Guard ever takes issue with you having two incidents that equal i/2 the value of your vessel, good luck explaining to them that you "forgot" to report. Don't expect the District Commander to slap you on the back and have a good laugh with you...

2] Comparing the repair of [potential] hidden structural damage on a boat with building houses and surfboards is apples/oranges. Just the cost of yard space alone is crippling on any lengthy repair. The cost of materials for boat repairs is also staggering. And the cost of experienced marine tradesmen if/when the repair goes beyond your capabilities??

The learning curve for inexperienced people in boat world is steep and expensive. If you are an old hand, you approach EVERYTHING with caution...

Again, I wish you the best...
The first incident was dock rash in a storm insurance covered it
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 13:03   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Sad state of affairs really, I would certainly be chasing them, if only to help them understand their obligations in the future.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 13:16   #38

According to the guys at the Maritime office, this is a regular occurrence. Maybe once a month. Pretty disappointing that these people are allowed to continually break the law, damaging people's boats while in sight of the Maritime office and maybe 500m away from a water police base.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 14:05   #39

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

44, I hope that you had your black anchoring ball displayed!!

It is for just this sort of incident that we began routinely hanging the infernal thing up in the foretriangle. If your case gets to the lawyer stage (and I hope it does not), this will be a factor.

It is (to me) surprising how much clout rowing clubs muster. In Blackwattle Bay (Sydney harbour, near downtown for those not familiar with th area) a rowing club has managed to get anchoring prohibited save in some rather small and very shallow areas, unsuitable for keel boats. We no longer go there, which is a shame, for it gave good access to the attractions of downtown Sydney.

And for that matter, we were hit by a young lady in a single scull in Sandy Bay, Hobart, a couple of years ago. Knocked off some paint... she seemed surprised that I was upset. When I told her how much the paint job had cost (only two years before), she still didn't quite get it... after all, it was only a small area gone... We were about to leave for points north, so I just let it go, but...grrr!

Jim
Old 20-02-2016, 15:36   #40
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

It's a rowing scull. "I heard them call for aid and I jumped over to help. How could I know that would break the scull in two and sink it? I was responding to their call for aid. By the way, I think I have whiplash."

He says, she says.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 18:07   #41

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Had a nice sail today. Boat still works fine.
Old 20-02-2016, 18:33   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Had a nice sail today. Boat still works fine.
Glad all is well with the boat. As far as the sail now your just rubbing it in
newhaul is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruise ship