Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2009, 10:04   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Did you mention what your budget is ?? So you dont keep getting a lot of information that would not apply to you? I see so much info being put out here, but I have not heard what would be realistic for you?
No I didn't mention it, I have no idea yet, it will all depend on what I end up with for a list of requirements really.
twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 15:08   #77
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Twisty, now I'm confused. You mentioned your requirements in your posts and they seem to indicate you plan on single handing a catamaran on inland waterways.

Catamarans can be purchased from $30,000 to $1.2 million and up. I think you have some fellas on here who are genuinely trying to assist you. It seems odd that you won't give them some guidance about your price range.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 15:15   #78

Boat: deboated
It has taken a long time for someone to wake up just post a pretty face???
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 17:01   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Twisty, now I'm confused. You mentioned your requirements in your posts and they seem to indicate you plan on single handing a catamaran on inland waterways.

Catamarans can be purchased from $30,000 to $1.2 million and up. I think you have some fellas on here who are genuinely trying to assist you. It seems odd that you won't give them some guidance about your price range.
That list of requirements is changing daily, the more I learn the more the list gets added to. At the point I am at it would be impossible for me to set a budget. The only idea I have at this point is the boat that best fits what I end up with for requirements at the best possible price I can find it for.
Old 22-02-2009, 17:24   #80
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty View Post
That list of requirements is changing daily, the more I learn the more the list gets added to. At the point I am at it would be impossible for me to set a budget. The only idea I have at this point is the boat that best fits what I end up with for requirements at the best possible price I can find it for.
That is the way I shop, as well, twisty. I've never had much satisfaction when I set a $ number, then go out and try to find what I want at that price. It just never seems to work out well that way, for me.

I put together a list of what I must have, a list of what I'd like to have (but not critical) and a list of what would be nice to have (but doesn't really matter, one way or the other.) But just because something isn't already there that is on the "must have" list, that doesn't eliminate potential candidates from consideration. Items can always be added later.

After assembling a group of candidates, now I have an opportunity to compare and contrast various vessels and configurations. As the group gets winnowed down to two or three, then negotiations can begin on sales price, factoring in the additional cost of having to add anything after the sale.

If a person starts with a tight budget, IMO, good candidates may never come up for consideration. The problem then is that, in reality, such candidates that are beyond the budget, initially, may actually end up costing less in the final analysis, ceteris paribus.

That's just how I've found things work best for me. Your mileage may vary.

TaoJones
Old 22-02-2009, 17:29   #81

The list of requirements will always change if there is no budget - This whole thread is nonsense as you have never sailed, so how can you validate anything without some experience to base your decisions on. You have decided on a multi hull without having sailed on either a mono or multi no difference to me which you choose but some common sense needs to be applied.
Old 22-02-2009, 19:37   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
That is the way I shop, as well, twisty. I've never had much satisfaction when I set a $ number, then go out and try to find what I want at that price. It just never seems to work out well that way, for me.

I put together a list of what I must have, a list of what I'd like to have (but not critical) and a list of what would be nice to have (but doesn't really matter, one way or the other.) But just because something isn't already there that is on the "must have" list, that doesn't eliminate potential candidates from consideration. Items can always be added later.

After assembling a group of candidates, now I have an opportunity to compare and contrast various vessels and configurations. As the group gets winnowed down to two or three, then negotiations can begin on sales price, factoring in the additional cost of having to add anything after the sale.

If a person starts with a tight budget, IMO, good candidates may never come up for consideration. The problem then is that, in reality, such candidates that are beyond the budget, initially, may actually end up costing less in the final analysis, ceteris paribus.

That's just how I've found things work best for me. Your mileage may vary.

TaoJones
I never find what I want when I set a budget before I know exactly what I want/require.

myermm, go back t the very first post and read, you will see we have ventured off on a tangent. It was never about choosing which boat I want and setting a budget, it is was about me gaining information. I came here to ask questions, not to chose a boat, people have offered up ideas as to what they think would be a good starter for me, that is all, and I appreciate that as those will be some of the boats I look at first, later on, when I get that far. The common sense part is in the asking of questions and at this point that is all I am doing.
Old 22-02-2009, 19:57   #83

I still think you are putting the cart in front of the horse
Old 22-02-2009, 20:18   #84

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
You're doing fine Twisty....you started with a 40 foot wooden motorboat, and you're taking in and evaluating the vast amount of information that's availalbe here. I'm sure there's countless sailors who've chosen monohulls, without ever sailing a catamaran and visa versa. I have a mono, but, I like cats too...I can put my drink down and it will be there when I come back.
Old 22-02-2009, 20:24   #85
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
. . . I like cats too...I can put my drink down and it will be there when I come back.
This all depends on the crew and guests you have aboard.

TaoJones
Old 23-02-2009, 03:57   #86
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
Gee you mean Cats are not perfect after all except when talking to monohull owners
General insult to multi owners

Quote:
It has taken a long time for someone to wake up just post a pretty face???
Patronising insult to women

Quote:
This whole thread is nonsense as you have never sailed, so how can you validate anything without some experience to base your decisions on. You have decided on a multi hull without having sailed on either a mono or multi no difference to me which you choose but some common sense needs to be applied.
And lastly a personal insult - CAn I say your posts have added little to the thread?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 05:43   #87
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Down - Down- Down it goes where it stops noboby knows!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 05:43   #88
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Factor, you are absolutely right. Twisty has a dream and is seeking out information in order to formulate a plan - which is hardly putting the cart before the horse. Furthermore, traditionally most people that started out in monohulls did so despite the fact that they had no experience in multihulls - why should her choice be any different?

She does have some experience in boating, seems mechanically inclined, recognizes her lack of knowledge regarding sailing and is taking a rational approach - aiming to keep her initial forays either in the ICW, or near shore. Seems sensible to me.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 06:12   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
I have a mono, but, I like cats too...I can put my drink down and it will be there when I come back.
My hopes are that that will be the case with my dinner, as in my hopes are that this will cure that chumming problem I have. lol
Old 23-02-2009, 09:22   #90
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Voyage 500, Silent Faith
Twisty,
Come on down to Key West and I'll show you how easy it is to sail a big cruising cat.
We'll get you out on one of our snorkel trips to the reef. Cpt.Craig. www.restlessnative.com
craig boorman is offline   Reply With Quote