Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2009, 19:42   #91
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty View Post
My hopes are that that will be the case with my dinner, as in my hopes are that this will cure that chumming problem I have. lol
At the risk of prematurely ending this thread. May I respectfully suggest you read a couple of books about selecting a catamaran.

My favorites are

Amazon.com: Cruising in Catamarans: Charles E. Kanter: Books

and

Amazon.com: Cruising Catamaran Communique: Charles E. Kanter: Books

At the very least you'll have more pertinent questions.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 21:16   #92

Boat: FP Tobago 35'
Strange to me that no one has mentioned the FP Tobago 35'. I chose that over all the similar sized even though it was priced slightly above the other considerations. No regrets to date and we use it regularly. May even sail back to Florida in a couple months.
Lazy Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 21:22   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
At the risk of prematurely ending this thread. May I respectfully suggest you read a couple of books about selecting a catamaran.

My favorites are

Amazon.com: Cruising in Catamarans: Charles E. Kanter: Books

and

Amazon.com: Cruising Catamaran Communique: Charles E. Kanter: Books

At the very least you'll have more pertinent questions.
Hey Tropic Cat,

Without looking I believe I have Cruising in Catamarans on order. I have added the other to my reading material wishlist.

Thank You!
twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 07:14   #94
cruiser

Glad to help out.

But I'm still confused as to why the owner of a competing sailing forum would come to this one to ask advice about Cats?

Is it to poach forum members?

Would you mind clearing this up? I'll admit in advance that I confuse easily.
Old 25-02-2009, 07:20   #95
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Did I miss something here RICK WHo what site?
" But I'm still confused as to why the owner of a competing sailing forum would come to this one to ask advice about Cats? "
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 07:57   #96
cruiser

Ram,

I don't want to post the forum url or name here as it wouldn't be in this forum's best interest.

I'll just wait for an answer as I'm sure Twisty has an explanation.
Old 25-02-2009, 08:11   #97

Quote:
Glad to help out.

But I'm still confused as to why the owner of a competing sailing forum would come to this one to ask advice about Cats?

Is it to poach forum members?

Would you mind clearing this up? I'll admit in advance that I confuse easily.
That site was created 3 days ago.. So let me ask you something, do you visit other forums? I do, actually I am a member of several. Have you seen me mention that site anywhere on this forum? Or on any other forum for that matter? Nope in fact if you take a look at another popular sailing site you will see that I asked members of both not to mention it after someone did, as it wasn't fair to the forum owners who rely on their forums for income, hell I even made a sticky post about it on my forum. You know the URL go read it!

I didnt know that sailing forums were a competition, I thought they were all about sailing, meeting others that share an interest in sailing and educating those that want to learn about sailing. Am I wrong about this? If it is a competition I will gladly be on my way because that is not the way I see it at all.
Old 25-02-2009, 08:44   #98
cruiser

Twisty,

That is up to management here. As for me, I wasn't criticizing, I was genuinely confused.

Actually this thread has confused me since you started it.

As to whether this is a competition or not. I find it an interesting question from a lady who owns multiple forums. I guess you'd be the best judge of that.
Old 25-02-2009, 09:00   #99

Quote:
Twisty,

That is up to management here. As for me, I wasn't criticizing, I was genuinely confused.

Actually this thread has confused me since you started it.

As to whether this is a competition or not. I find it an interesting question from a lady who owns multiple forums. I guess you'd be the best judge of that.
Generally confused about what? why a web developer would develop a site about something that interests them or why someone would ask questions on a site geared towards what they are interested in and seeking information about. I am truly finding it really hard to see what is so confusing here.
Old 25-02-2009, 09:01   #100
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ok that clears up a lot of things that were twirling around in my mind-
I knew there was something a little off (with all due respect Twisty) when you could not give us a budget or a ball park on the boat your looking for- everyone has a budget even Warren Buffet-I would like to visit the other forum if someone will PM me I will take a look- hard to beat this forum - no harm done --
Old 25-02-2009, 09:04   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Ok that clears up a lot of things that were twirling around in my mind-
I knew there was something a little off (with all due respect Twisty) when you could not give us a budget or a ball park on the boat your looking for- everyone has a budget even Warren Buffet-I would like to visit the other forum if someone will PM me I will take a look- hard to beat this forum - no harm done --
Please fill me in on what was a little off. The fact that I have not set a budget yet? or the fact that I am not willing to set a budget until I know what I'm looking for and at? What? Now I am confused.
Old 25-02-2009, 09:09   #102
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I beleave its a great Biz move for Twisty to check out and interact with this and other boards - so she can learn more about sailing and boats along with how to make her board better
I do this myself in my Biz all the time and it works well for me- so Twisty keep starting threads and stroking them- keeping them going makes sence- its a great education
WE all start somewhere- no harm- no foul-
Old 25-02-2009, 09:22   #103
cruiser

Ram, I guess Warren Buffett isn't in Twisty's class.

Must be nice to go through life without needing to consider budgets or limits and only worry about what's going to make her happy.
Old 25-02-2009, 09:27   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I beleave its a great Biz move for Twisty to check out and interact with this and other boards - so she can learn more about sailing and boats along with how to make her board better
I do this myself in my Biz all the time and it works well for me- so Twisty keep starting threads and stroking them- keeping them going makes sence- its a great education
WE all start somewhere- no harm- no foul-
You really don't get it!

I am buying a catamaran at some point in the near future I have questions that need answers. No stroking of threads to make my board better, and no other motives other than to gain information so I can make a better decision later on when it comes time to actually get serious about what I am buying.

ok I take that back there is one other thing that was a motivating factor that has something to do with other forums. That boards tag line is Speak Freely and sail, why, because of the over-moderation and lack of being able to speak freely with out the fear of being banned or accused of inseserity I have seen at so many of the other sailing forums. There ya go there's my motive for starting that forum. But given that domain name was only registered on the 21st I am still quite confused as to how you think the two(this thread and that forum) are related.
Old 25-02-2009, 09:29   #105
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty View Post
Please fill me in on what was a little off. The fact that I have not set a budget yet? or the fact that I am not willing to set a budget until I know what I'm looking for and at? What? Now I am confused.
When most if not all people decide to buy a boat, or house , car or other big thing we uselly know how much money we can afford to spend-
ITs great to dream- thats for sure and its wondeful to look at all those big $ boats and its educational- but in the end I beleave we all know what we can afford to spend -$2-300k boats are very different than $20k boats and if you only have $20 k in your pocket or can afford XX loan payment that is your budget
Seems simple to me-Im sorry that this concept is confusing to you , Im trying to be clear- to me this seems a little off thats all- Im not saying that theres anything wrong here