Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2015, 17:13   #1

So I wanna buy a cat...

So I wanna buy a cat... You know the type... with the pretty sails... and lovely clean hulls... Yeah... *sigh* Love those cats.

In all honesty though, besides for my loving the Lagoon line since they first got pictured on Cruising World way back in '86 (I think it was '86), I really have no experience with cats. So I really wanted to get opinions from those of you who own 45' - 55' cats.

1. What cat do you own?

2. Why did you pick that cat? Would you pick that one again?

3. Have you done long-term cruising or are you doing mostly vacation island hopping?

4. Galley up or Galley down design?

5. What layout did you choose? (Owners, 4 cabin, etc.)

6. Best modification/upgrade you've done?

Thanks for sharing... and teaching. *someday*
pietvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:35   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Re: So I wanna buy a cat...

May I suggest you approach this is a different manner? Instead of asking what others have done, describe what you want to do? The decisions others have made when choosing their boats may not be similar or even close to what you want to do with yours. For example, everyone wants a boat that "performs" well. What is "performance" to you? What functions are important to you that this vessel must perform well to meet your needs?

A charter cat with four beds and four heads performs very, very well for 4 couples on a week charter. But it may not perform well for a cruising couple who could use the space taken up by at least two of those heads and one of those beds for storage. On the other hand, that same boat may perform extremely well for a Mom & Dad and three growing kids on a circumnavigation.

Do you want a sailing machine that you can also live on, or a house you can also sail? See the "performance" difference there?

Good luck,
2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:53   #3

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

I couldn't have said it better myself.... 2 Hulls Dave is absolutely right. I'm fairly new to this and there are lots of people in here who have a wealth of knowledge and experience. So if you are looking for a boat start off with your needs, objectives and desires for it. State what they are and see what comes back.
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 23:06   #4

2 Hulls Dave and Heath68...
You make some good points there.
Thank you.

Since these goals are in my 5-10 year plan, the end result might be slightly different. Right now I envision living aboard a sailing boat, and cruising around the world. Not necessarily a direct circumnavigation, but eventually we'll get around to it. Right now it would just be the two of us with whom ever comes to tag-along.

While I do enjoy "performance racing", I don't make any illusions that this will be in the GunBoat performance category; although, if someone donates one to me, I won't turn it down. I'm a tech and a water sports junkie, so we'll have to have a place to put all the electrical stuff and the sport gear. (Diving) Not to mention the general provisions supplies and repair equipment.

Other than that I'm pretty open to most things, and expect there will be many more times when I'll be told... No, that's not the way you do that.
pietvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 23:23   #5

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvw View Post
Thank you.

Since these goals are in my 5-10 year plan, the end result might be slightly different. Right now I envision living aboard a sailing boat, and cruising around the world. Not necessarily a direct circumnavigation, but eventually we'll get around to it. Right now it would just be the two of us with whom ever comes to tag-along.

While I do enjoy "performance racing", I don't make any illusions that this will be in the GunBoat performance category; although, if someone donates one to me, I won't turn it down. I'm a tech and a water sports junkie, so we'll have to have a place to put all the electrical stuff and the sport gear. (Diving) Not to mention the general provisions supplies and repair equipment.

Other than that I'm pretty open to most things, and expect there will be many more times when I'll be told... No, that's not the way you do that.
If you are a SCUBA diver you will need a compressor and presumably a genset to run it. Having a genset means you can readily run A/C, washing machine, watermaker making it easier for liveaboard although a goodly amount of solar will run much of it will not run a scuba compressor or any amount of A/C. A 44+ ft cat will be better than a 38-40 ft vessel to carry the load better.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
If you are a SCUBA diver you will need a compressor and presumably a genset to run it. Having a genset means you can readily run A/C, washing machine, watermaker making it easier for liveaboard although a goodly amount of solar will run much of it will not run a scuba compressor or any amount of A/C. A 44+ ft cat will be better than a 38-40 ft vessel to carry the load better.
An excellent point and a dilemma you'll (Piet) have to confront early - what are you going to compromise? This bears repeating here: of high sailing performance, high comfort, and low cost you can only have two.

2 Hulls Dave
Old 03-02-2015, 08:22   #7

Boat: solaris 42 1978

to answer some of your questions number one i bought the 42 solaris because it was the biggest most stable cat i could find for the money i had to invest which was 70,000 ... 18 foot beam with a very comfortable salon and the previous owner had installed this huge sunken tub that made for a large two person shower ,, i lived on it for a year while i was seperated from my wife and off and on for another year while ewe got back together ,, i now have it listed for 45,000 www.sailboatlistings.com ..

svfraidknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:30   #8

Quote:
Thank you.

Ditto - although my plan is certainly nearer than yours.

I have been looking through at the Antares as it seems to make a lot of sense but isn't cheap either (Antares Yachts: Building the World's Best Liveaboard Catamaran ) there are a good many links with advice (it is obvious going to be bias but it does make some good arguments..) and have also looked at the Catana (not sure I like Dagger boards but a nice boat) Sunreef is too expensive and a bit too slow... so I've ended up looking at FP Helia 44 or even Saba. Now these may well be also too pricey but they made some earlier models that some peeps in here think highly of.
I'm going to France next month to loo at FP and Nautitech - not a make that grabbed me but when I'm only next door it may be a worthwhile look.
Personally I like galley half down as it gives a much nicer living space and we cook a lot so it has more space.
If you, like me, like diving but have limited space you may want to consider a Hookah system for shallow drop-in dives and get tanks refilled on land when you want to go deeper?
A protected helm is important to me as is good cable handling... but as ever, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I am after all a newbie.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
A protected helm is important to me as is good cable handling...
Good cable handling? Because this was mentioned with "helm" are you referring to the steering mechanics - which can be by cable? If so, this is a good thing to get to know as you compare boats as there are several variations in how well wheels talk to the rudders. If you meant line handling, e.g. sail controls, that's another topic altogether...

Dave
Old 03-02-2015, 10:20   #10

Talking Re: So I wanna buy a cat...

It sounds like you want a huge cat !!!! What are you going to feed this thing, blue whales? Why buy one, you can go to your local SPCA, or animal shelter
and get one for free, or better yet... just leave a bowl of friskies cat food outdoors and you'll have one for free. Now to answer your questions...

1. What cat do you own?

A brown tabbie mix

she purrs and rubbs up against me, and she's cute, and yes, I would get one again.

3. Have you done long-term cruising or are you doing mostly vacation island hopping?

She loves to go sailing with me on long and short trips, I bring catnip and a toy mouse along to keep her happy.

4. Galley up or Galley down design? Galley up, she loves to nap on the counter tops

5. What layout did you choose? (Owners, 4 cabin, etc.) Tabbie, she sleeps in the owners cabin, but sometimes likes the V berth

6. Best modification/upgrade you've done? Got her fixed, I love the cat but I don't need a whole crew of them since they can't handle the sheets or the winch.

Have fun !!!!
rjgunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:51   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Thank you.

After the Rainmaker performance the other day check to see it you want a Gunboat. At least the mast came down and it didn't turtle.

Your plans seem as though todays and ten years out may be entirely different? You aren't different. Look at todays wants and needs. Your dream is painted with a broad brush.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Good cable handling? Because this was mentioned with "helm" are you referring to the steering mechanics - which can be by cable? If so, this is a good thing to get to know as you compare boats as there are several variations in how well wheels talk to the rudders. If you meant line handling, e.g. sail controls, that's another topic altogether...

Dave
told you I was a rookie!
Old 03-02-2015, 13:23   #13
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

We echo 2Hulls regarding the importance of identifying your own priorities amoungst the HUGE array of choices and compromises available when selecting a vessel. For us that process meant sailing on a lot of different vessels when we were looking to buy...and we're very sure our success was the result of taking plenty of time (~4yrs in our case) looking.

All that said, here's our reply to the OP...

Quote:
loving the Lagoon line
We started our search a long way from that view, but the more we sailed on various vessels, the more we came to respect Lagoon's approach...and if you like the look from the outside, wait until you enjoy it from the inside!

Quote:
1. What cat do you own?
Lagoon 440

Quote:
For seaworthiness and comfort. Yes.

Quote:
Our 'delivery voyage' took us from Italy to Australia, via the Panama Canal. We currently cruise the OZ east coast and Tasmania. Our log suggests we enjoyed >20,000nm so far. We talk about circumnavigating the Coral Sea when/if we feel exhausted with the OZ coastal sights and experiences.

Quote:
Galley up

Quote:
Owner's version...3 cabins+3 heads

Quote:
A great set of solar panels and 'intelligent' MPPT Controller!!!

Good luck in your search!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 15:30   #14

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran, 2007, Owner's Version
Send a message via Skype™ to millhouse_44

Quote:
So I wanna buy a cat... You know the type... with the pretty sails... and lovely clean hulls... Yeah... *sigh* Love those cats.

In all honesty though, besides for my loving the Lagoon line since they first got pictured on Cruising World way back in '86 (I think it was '86), I really have no experience with cats. So I really wanted to get opinions from those of you who own 45' - 55' cats.

1. What cat do you own?

Thanks for sharing... and teaching. *someday*
I only have a 40 footer but I'm going to weigh in anyways...because its 5 AM and I can't sleep.

Have a 40' Leopard Owner's Version. Picked due production Cat, well cared for, fitted out (sort of) for long-term cruising, right price (not cheapest but given the condition it was fairly priced), right location (important - do you want to 'deliver'? We had never sailed before so we wanted one in a place that we could learn properly on our own boat - that turned out to be Phuket, Thailand). Right now we are Island/Marina hopping but plan is long-term cruising we are joining a rally in April then going further afield slowly eventually around the world. Galley up only way to go in my opinion. Ours is the owner's version which I also like a lot - great layout. Best upgrade? Tough one there's been lots. Just got solar so not sure on that yet I'll update later. Honestly, the best so far has been replacing the sail bag zipper and all the reefing lines. The reason is that I'm now 100% confident in those systems. Confidence means everything in my opinion. Also like LED lights - less power consumption and I love my IPad holder with suction cup and ball-mount so I can use the IPad at the helm...$15 well spent! Happy cruising - watch out for marina costs with the 'big' Cat...another reason we went small was <12m is usually cheaper moorage AND to register >12m in Canada you need to get the vessel weighed...very expensive!

Cheers,

Small Cat Fun
millhouse_44 is offline   Reply With Quote