Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2012, 15:46   #151

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Spirited 380 Lost in the Coral Sea

Thanks for the piccy,

I am going to have to change my wave height guestimation,

Bloke on the deck is 2 metres, Deck is two metres above the water. = 4 metres.

I would have called that a 2 metre chop, If that is what every one calls 3 to 4 metres,

What size were the waves, I was actually sailing in, Now thats a scary thought,

Some of my waves were above the top spreader, I guessed 10 metres,

A lot of my waves were 5 to 7 metres, Sounds definately like I underestimated them if those are 3 to 4 metres,

5 metres on the nose. boat at about 70 degrees, No wonder I was having a hard time,

Cheers,
Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 15:47   #152

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irc-racer View Post
image attached doing the rounds, taken during the rescue. mild conditions, boat looks fine, genoa furled away neatly, mainsail tucked away in sailcover, storm jib is on inner forestay but not up??? boat floating fine??? hardly looks like a situation requiring abandomnent.
One of the issues that the owner of Minx reported in the initial post was that the sails were so damaged that they could not sail.

So, if this photo is proved to be genuine and was taken during the rescue then one would think that there would be more and possibly video as well then there is every likelihood that Minx will be found and hopefully reunited with the owner.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 15:55   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
One of the issues that the owner of Minx reported in the initial post was that the sails were so damaged that they could not sail.

So, if this photo is proved to be genuine and was taken during the rescue then one would think that there would be more and possibly video as well then there is every likelihood that Minx will be found and hopefully reunited with the owner.

It would be great to see the boat recovered and reunited with owner. I just cannot understand why a storm jib can be seen on deck ready to go but could not be used to get out of trouble? It sounds like the bigger issue was the boat taking on water and the threat of much worse weather coming that led to the decision to abondon ship. One can only assume they had been using the storm jib for a while already and just decided they had had enough, the boat was "sinking" and the threat of worse weather coming was too much to handle.
irc-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 16:23   #154

Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
In that photo above it has a sea anchor deployed off a bridle on the bow.

-----------

Gene :^)
http://www.Strathbelle.com/

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
https://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 17:13   #155

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene :^) View Post
In that photo above it has a sea anchor deployed off a bridle on the bow.
Having used one in a 50knot 12 hour blow going to New Cal on a 30ft cat, with larger waves than shown, I am surprised you would abandon.

Once the parachute was deployed all seemed very calm (in comparison) and we sat out in the cockpit having a few drinks as the sun went down, had a hot meal and a restful sleep ready for the next day.
Old 31-01-2012, 17:34   #156

and what about bailing out. I remember as a kid bailing out my sabot when it got water in it ... there must have been bilge pumps, even buckets!, a spare hose to syphen water out with, plug holes with bungs and cloths, seal off sections you were ok to let fill with water, etc. Keep boat afloat, sit out storm, put storm sail back up, or even wait for a tow back to shore (maybe a bit hard here, they were a long way out)... so many other options though.
Old 31-01-2012, 17:34   #157

Quote:
image attached doing the rounds, taken during the rescue. mild conditions, boat looks fine, genoa furled away neatly, mainsail tucked away in sailcover, storm jib is on inner forestay but not up??? boat floating fine??? hardly looks like a situation requiring abandomnent.
Welcome to the forum irc racer. Nice first post? Can you tell us what the posted image is doing the" rounds" of? An office or a boat shed maybe?

I notice the OP stated " Yes unless Minx has been hit by a ship or run on a reef she should be afloat with her stern under water to the bridge deck."

Is anyone else thinking we haven't heard the full story yet.?

Regards
Old 31-01-2012, 18:28   #158

Wow.. With the sterns so low in the water I can see why they abandoned.......... So low they didn't bother to reduce the weight near the stern.....

Fenders are nicely set up ready for rescue though, I could understand perhaps off loading crew for safety, if there was a passing vessel but those conditions, as pictured, with the vessel (assuming it is of course the veseel) hardly suggest life threatening. There was No cyclone, a possible one might develop in a system south of them heading in a south east direction within the next 24 hours (granted that can change quickly, very rare they then head north again though)
Cookiesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 18:53   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
Welcome to the forum irc racer. Nice first post? Can you tell us what the posted image is doing the" rounds" of? An office or a boat shed maybe?

I notice the OP stated " Yes unless Minx has been hit by a ship or run on a reef she should be afloat with her stern under water to the bridge deck."

Regards
an office, a boatshed, the whole marine industry, the owner's and crew's friends, all their friends... I brought the image to this forum to simply highlight the fact that we can sometimes rightly so blame the designers, builders, riggers, sailmakers, suppliers, etc., but there also needs to be the owner/skipper's and crew's responsibility to make informed safe decisions about the boat and their sailing plans and their need to maintain their boat to a standard applicable for their intended plans. Not to mention this thing called "seamanship"....
Old 31-01-2012, 19:03   #160

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:

Regards
...Yep
Old 31-01-2012, 19:07   #161

Quote:
an office, a boatshed, the whole marine industry, the owner's and crew's friends, all their friends... I brought the image to this forum to simply highlight the fact that we can sometimes rightly so blame the designers, builders, riggers, sailmakers, suppliers, etc., but there also needs to be the owner/skipper's and crew's responsibility to make informed safe decisions about the boat and their sailing plans and their need to maintain their boat to a standard applicable for their intended plans. Not to mention this thing called "seamanship"....
Thanks irc, yes, the design is only half the equation. Seamanship is often forgotten. Still doesn't excuse the engine hatch design/location.

By the way I haven't managed to locate that image on the net, so I'm thinking its from an AMSA FOI request. Any chance of you posting the video. Also can you shed any light on the Kangaroo Island S380 capsize.?

Regards
Old 31-01-2012, 19:24   #162

Quote:
Thanks irc, yes, the design is only half the equation. Seamanship is often forgotten. Still doesn't excuse the engine hatch design.

By the way I haven't managed to locate that image on the net, so I'm thinking its from an AMSA FOI request. Any chance of you posting the video. Also can you shed any light on the Kangaroo Island S380 capsize.?

Regards
sorry I don't have a video, the image originally came from Jo and Jon of Minx themselves and I was on a long line of forwarded email recipients. Don't know anything about the S380 capsize at Kangaroo Island.
Old 31-01-2012, 21:51   #163

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:

Regards
Exactly and hopefully the owner of Minx will be up to posting his full account, that he said he would do, in the near future which should clarify a lot of things.

The photo posted by irc-racer does not match the description of the condition of the sails on Minx as described by the owner in the initial post which said they were so severely damaged that they could not sail with them.

So, I am just waiting to hear the full story from those who were on board Minx.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 22:47   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
Exactly and hopefully the owner of Minx will be up to posting his full account, that he said he would do, in the near future which should clarify a lot of things.

The photo posted by irc-racer does not match the description of the condition of the sails on Minx as described by the owner in the initial post which said they were so severely damaged that they could not sail with them.

So, I am just waiting to hear the full story from those who were on board Minx.
As the OP said "I will post an account leeding to the resque when we feel up to it David.
I do intend to write the whole story for pubilcation in the near future. "
If i was the OP having suffered the probable loss of boat and some of the posts, i would not publish it here, which will be our loss. I think that some of us may be reading information in to the photo that may not be there and for our own personal agends.
Old 31-01-2012, 22:53   #165

The OP can very quickly clear that up with a one line message, yes that's us or Nope, wrong vessel, different occasion etc
Cookiesa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral sea