Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2016, 17:07   #1

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Stable attachment of tender to boat for easier transfer

Does anyone have a cunning way to attach the tender to the boat so someone with difficulties can easily transfer from one to the other and back.

I was thinking of
  • a swim platform
  • trailer rollers on the stern that I ran up on then tied off on
  • lifting the tender up onto a carrier
I'm hoping there is an easier solution out there in boat land.
Old 30-11-2016, 17:58   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Stable attachment of tender to boat for easier transfer

I would look into weaver snap Davits. They'll allow you to attach the dink to the mothership semi rigidly.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 18:04   #3

Re: Stable attachment of tender to boat for easier transfer

How much help does the person need? I wouldn't risk lifting a tender with a person in it. I've seen people with nice swim platforms install two rings that go over a pair of hooks on their tender that allows the tender to float freely but secured so it doesn't tip or pull away as you transfer to and from the boat.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 20:09   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dave,

If you can be more specific about the problem, and possibly a picture that shows how your hulls are configured at the stern, it might help.

For instance, on our boat, we pull alongside the stern quarter, facing the bow, and hold on to the boat and transfer sideways. Neither of us has balance issues doing it, and the level of the stern platform is not a tall step up. If we put the dinghy athwart the sugar scoop, we have a man rope, also usable with the boarding ladder, and it helps, too. Maybe if you check out some of the other largeish cats on V dock and over by you, you'll get some idea.

You'll notice some of them have "boarding rails", like a banister for a stairway, or that plus a man rope.

Ann
Old 30-11-2016, 21:24   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

There was a power cat which could often be seen between Airlie Beach and Cairns which was crewed by two wheel chair bound people. They had an extended power lifted swim platform which they drove the dingy onto and then raised it up to deck level to allow them to transfer from dingy to deck. I have also seen the same sort of thing on some of the big tourist boats.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:14   #6

Dave - Interesting question, and I look forward to the responses!

Getting on and off a boat, at the pier or on to a tender is probably where most sailors get injured. BTW - Is the tender an inflatable?
paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:18   #7

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I spoke to a couple on a mono many years ago who had modified a hydraulic lift used to get wheelchair on busses. I never saw them lower it, but I did see them drive the dink up onto the submerged platform and use a remote to raise it to transom height at which point she (disabled) was able to get into the boat with no assistance. They had worked with the company that modified school busses and there were little to no problems making the modifications to the boat. They were both very satisfied. It cost about US $5K about 20 years ago.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:12   #8

Boat: Seawind 1160 38' # 60

After turning around and seeing my wife in the water more than once I knew I had to do something . The first thing I did was add a plywood removable flat floor to our hard bottom inflatable . Now no one steps into a puddle of dirty water and floating beer cans . Next I added a S/Steel boarding handicap station , bar , rail ,handle ?It is about 36 " taller than the tube height on the port side of the Dingy right behind the seat ,works great at dock or getting on boat . The real trick is how I tie dinghy inside the port transom sugar scoop . Taking the 10' + - painter I bring it over the bow rapping it behind the H.C. handle I then can pull it tight to a inboard stern cleat , which pushes the bow up under the hull and keeps the dingy and boat riding the swells at the same time . Works great !! and she hasn't been in the water since !! . This took about 6 years to figure out , I hope it works for you . also Plywood , s/steel from swap meet I have less tan 60 bucks in whole thing . Dave ,Christie and Happy on S/Cat Bama Breeze , Wilmington Shores , California .
David Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:18   #9

Boat: Hunter 30

I have owned weaver davits and found them lacking when the water was choppy. When the dink was hooked to the davits it DID keep the boat and dink together but they rolled up and down independently making for a real rolly action. I found that easy to grab hand holds much more valuable. I made two out of dock lines that ran from the upper rail of the pushpit to handles near the waterline. Grabbing these two lines felt much more secure when making the transfer. We have a sugar scoop transom.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:27   #10

The best I can think of is an open transom and a swim platform. Regardless of the system, when there is chop in the anchorage, a dink bounces around and is difficult to get in or out of.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:28   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Lifesling with 4:1 tackle. Tackle hauled aloft by mizzen halyard. We use the same tackle at the spinnaker halyard to haul the dink onto the foredeck.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 14:11   #12

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

I would invest in a solid, firm, professional ladder to be kept amidship (distant from the bulk).

And, further, on a pedestal mounted in the dinghy, if standing up is a problem.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 16:54   #13

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mark View Post
After turning around and seeing my wife in the water more than once I knew I had to do something . The first thing I did was add a plywood removable flat floor to our hard bottom inflatable . Now no one steps into a puddle of dirty water and floating beer cans . Next I added a S/Steel boarding handicap station , bar , rail ,handle ?It is about 36 " taller than the tube height on the port side of the Dingy right behind the seat ,works great at dock or getting on boat . The real trick is how I tie dinghy inside the port transom sugar scoop . Taking the 10' + - painter I bring it over the bow rapping it behind the H.C. handle I then can pull it tight to a inboard stern cleat , which pushes the bow up under the hull and keeps the dingy and boat riding the swells at the same time . Works great !! and she hasn't been in the water since !! . This took about 6 years to figure out , I hope it works for you . also Plywood , s/steel from swap meet I have less tan 60 bucks in whole thing . Dave ,Christie and Happy on S/Cat Bama Breeze , Wilmington Shores , California .
If you're stepping into a dinghy full of beer cans there might be a simpler way to solve the problem.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:05   #14

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Thanks all

All great ideas. I'm leaning towards fabricating a parallel hinge for a swim platform that the tender sits on and winch it up to the rear deck. I'll measure up tomorrow and see if it will work.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:48   #15

Boat: Seawind 1160 38' # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
If you're stepping into a dinghy full of beer cans there might be a simpler way to solve the problem.
I was going to say Rum Bottle , the wood floor works great makes a bilge that collects all that stuff I actually have a question about your SCOUT . Where was it built ? In the 70's I built a couple of them in So Cal , just wondering if it came from the same mold or ?
David Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, tender