Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 15:33   #31

Re: Staying fit while cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
...Seems you're trying to force your way of life and exercise to his when that's not what he asked...
CDC defines fitness as "the ability to carry out daily tasks with vigor and alertness, without undue fatigue, and with ample energy to enjoy leisure-time pursuits and respond to emergencies." Most people don't need high intensity exercise to maintain fitness, as is reflected in the majority of the responses to the tread. Where high intensity exercise ordinarily is associated with a higher injury rate (et al), and cruisers are routinely in environments requiring self-sufficiency, perhaps using atypical definitions for atypical needs could be expected to return conflicting responses to a question on "fitness."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
...snorkling may be good exercise but it is NOT cardio exercise. It is not intensive enough to be cardio exercise. For that matter, neither is SCUBA, even if you are wearing twin tanks and fighting 100# of equipment...
The cardiovascular intensity of an exercise is generally quantified in terms of a METS level. Snorkling is definitely a moderate-intensity exerise while scuba diving is high-intensity. It gets complicated, though, to generalize certain activities as being "healthy" when the exercise is otherwise more overall harmfull in the long-term than helpful. Maybe resulting in the conflicted message on these activities (especially scuba)?

There are countless websites available to look up the METS associated with an activity, but at least currently I found this list that is quite comprehensive:
http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/d...compendium.pdf
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 16:05   #32

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
For the supermajority of people simply interested in longevity, remaining independent in old age, and avoiding injuries, "high intensity training" really doesn't make much of any sense.
Yeah, but there are a few of us that rely on high intensity exercise so we can relax.

I don't run 5 miles 2-3 time a week these days or cycle 150 miles as I am in my 60's but even when I do a weekend cruise exercise is definitely necessary after being stuck on a boat for a day or two

For those that or stuck on a boat for days or weeks, the more you can exercise the better
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 16:22   #33

Boat: Amel 50

Get Beachbody-On-Demand and do any workout led by Shaun T that doesn’t require equipment. They’ll whip your butt and you only need a few square feet of Space!
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 17:24   #34
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

At first I thought the OP was joking; a rowing machine on a boat, of all things!

But is fun to watch.

FWIW,there are many ways to get quite cardio on the water. In fact, kayak racers and advance whitewater paddlers are well know to have crazy peak rates and to maintain high rates during training. And I swim and bike.

But a rowing machine or a stationary bike? Those are two a cruiser has no need of (take a kayak and a bike).
Old 06-05-2019, 18:00   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
He asked a pretty specific question Ina pretty specific section of the forum. If you don't like the idea of a row machine or a cycle machine, or think winching for a few mins vs a HITT workout are similar, or that rowing in a row machine vs a dinghy is the same, I would guess you can't really answer the OPs question. Seems you're trying to force your way of life and exercise to his when that's not what he asked. So while it is an "open forum", it would be much more appreciated by all if people weren't chastised for their question by people who have no interest in actually reading and answering the specific questions asked.

To the OP, their are some smaller, compact row machines on the market but they won't be as nice as a Concept machine. Also, their are "stands" for bikes that lift the back wheel wheel off the ground and have a resistance mechanism so you can turn your bike into a stationary bike. I can see a nasty few days of weather and you can't really get off the boat but you want to blow off some energy and wanting something like this. You don't have to be a officer or military or even an athlete to want to to high intensity, we do them on land because they are effective exercises, for a number of reasons besides psychological. Good luck in your search.
Thank you,
Spot on.
ed91e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 18:57   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed91e View Post
Thank you,
Spot on.
Seemed like your last sentence in your 1st post was an invitation for discourse.

Perhaps it would've helped if you cleared up why the obvious non fitness equipment related avenues of exercise would not fit your regime as opposed to leaving an open ended question.

eg. rowing no good as upper body only, can't swim as too many jellyfish, can't hike or run as on passage
fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 19:00   #37

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Anyone who managed to install a rowing machine or a cycle trainer on a cat?
One of our worries is how to keep up with cardio training while cruising
I think the kind of answer lies in the reason for which you, or anyone, is doing the cardio training.

We train for "fitness" - but there are many different types and mixes of fitness = many different objectives (or mixes of objectives) in training/exercise ... and the type of fitness you are seeking determines the type of training, and therefore the training equipment and the regime.

I think the types of fitness include:
- endurance
- strength
- power
- speed
- flexibility
- agility
- there's another one or two .. I forget what they are defined as.

There's also fitness (training) objectives including weight loss, ability to get up a hill, ability to perform daily tasks, or just maintaining good health.

From the answers given by most cruisers they're keeping a reasonable general level of basic fitness with rowing, walking, swimming. That's great.

But to be specific to the question, cardio training tends to have an objective of building endurance measured as speed over a longer distance. It requires getting your heart rate up to say 75% of your maximum heart rate for a period of time, through a series of activities. The measurable objectives might be (for example, variously) to be able to run swim 1 km in 20 minutes, jog 1 km in 4 minutes, jog 10 km in 50 minutes.

(Other non-cardio objectives might be to maintain an ability to bench press you body weight, squat and lift your body weight on one leg, be flexible enough to wrap your hands around your feet with straight legs etc.)

Ya see, these objectives are all "measurable" . That's the important bit about training - if you're not measuring the results regularly, how do you now whether (or not) you're loosing it? Just going for a walk doesn't really cut it.
But being able to walk 10km in 90 minutes does.

So how to maintain a cardio regime, or an overall training regime sufficient to be able to meet particular set of personal objectives?. And how reliably can the regime be undertaken?

To make some stuff up, one could be trail a 50m floating line from the stern in the tide, and swim the length of it 10 times in 10 minutes, once a week.
(Then dive to untangle it from another boaties prop
Mark an object 2 km on your radar, and row to it and back once a week.
When the weather is inclement, do pushups and pullups with a waterbottle weight in a shoulder pack.

The Power Tube Pro system seems ideal for cruising, for the fitness gurus ...
https://www.ptpfit.com/total-resistance-system. (It packs away equivalent to a small size grocery bag.) A good stereo with earbuds helps.

And don't forget to rest and recover.

To go round in circles, it depends on what the training objectives are ??? Or maybe, just some fitness benchmarks. It'd be interesting to know what people want to achieve, or even if they want to set measurable objectives ....

Hope this contributes helpfully.

(PS I got bored a few years back and went and did a pro-fitness instructor's course for a few months - lost a few kgs on the way through, found my toes, and probably recovered an element of slipping youth).
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 19:01   #38

In a nut shell, this seems ideal for serious fitness cruising folk

https://www.ptpfit.com/total-resistance-system
Old 06-05-2019, 19:39   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post
In a nut shell, this seems ideal for serious fitness cruising folk

https://www.ptpfit.com/total-resistance-system

Agree, something similar and/or TRX is part of the plan. One can also come a long way by simle body weight training.
However, in addition and as a compliment, we are looking for an easy way of a cardio exercise that could be done while under way as well as at anchor. For my wife it is more of the mental part, she is a marathon runner. For me it is more a way of staying healthy. Also I have some hip-issues that runs in the family. Cycling (long distance) I have found to be an excellent way of keeping my hips all well lubricated.

Rowing the dinghy is off course the obvious choice for upper body and increased heart rate.Maybe this is a good reason to invest in something other better than a inflatable one. I have seen these OZ-tenders, sure looking great and probably will be better for rowing.
Old 06-05-2019, 19:57   #40

Made me look into these in detail... for sure this dinghy is perfect for rowing

Old 06-05-2019, 20:09   #41

Here's a suggestion I found pretty good ... and I still do it.

"Timed Pyramids" might work very well. You will have to change some of the exercises to suit yourselves, incl at sea if the boat is pitching.

The essence is you start the pyramid with 10 reps of each of 10 aerobic exercises, say 30 seconds rest, then 9 reps of the 10 exercises, then 8, 7, through to 1.

The exercises I pick for mid level people might be:
- 10 star jumps
- 10 squats
- 10 leg swing kicks, left and right
- 10 push ups
- 10 sit ups
- 10 bicycles
- 10 calf raises each side
- 10 jumping washing machines
- 10 punches left and right
- 10 burpees
Personal the exercises to suit - eg bad hips = no burpees, maybe add crunches.

Day 1 start with just the 10 reps set
Day 2 or 3, the 10, 9, and 8 reps set
Every third day off
after a week or two you should be able to get through to the 1 rep set, and complete in say 22 - 25 minutes, plus a 10 min warm up stretch and 10 min yoga cool down.

When pretty fit, can complete in say 15 minutes. That's when you start to pick harder exercises to try to keep completion time between 20 and 25 minutes.

It's magically motivational because it gets easier as you get more tired. Once you get to the six and five reps per set, if feels easy to continues to 4, and complete ....

Do it together, timed and counting together, even if you each have slightly different exercises to reflect individual ability.

And a bit handshake, backslap and hug when complete!

But it's still really damn hard.

But pick the individual exercises to suit.
Old 06-05-2019, 20:50   #42

TRX .
Attach it to your mast. High strength carabiners make for easier attachment
We were sailors but now we have a powercat so we have the TRX attached to the flybridge arch. 20-30 minutes a day gives you good cardio and strength training.
rajsach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 21:32   #43

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
I suggest you go back and think why you replied? Was it to help with a suggestion or to convey a message on how great you are?
Pretty pointless to be honest... and a waste of yours and my time /Eddie

Wow... the responder made a genuine effort to address your question and what does he get in return?

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 23:05   #44

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

I am thinking of something similar to the OP if we go on a trip next year. We did about 5 weeks cruising up the East Coast in December/Jan this year and I lost a lot of my peak fitness. It took a long while to get it back.

We had kayaks on board and did walks and runs on the beach when we could but often we were sailing all day or could not find a nice beach or track to run along. It got me thinking of using a resistance trainer on the back of the boat. (Zwift is what my friends use for indoor training).

About 10 days ago, we went for four days on our other boat, a trailer sailer. We took our two mountain bikes which allowed us a heap more range than by foot. For three days in a row we spent a few hours riding around the fire trails in the national park with our boat tied to a tree. It was really great. We now are going to bring two mountain bikes with us next time on any cruise because they suit us for keeping fit. We also have panniers for bike packing too.

My definition of fitness may be different to others. In my most unfit days I still walked the Kepler track with a full backpack and did it fine. I like being fitter though as I am now. The enforced stationary nature of sailing gets me a little antsy. So I am still considering a resistance trainer because I like biking. I have the space to put it out the back of the big cat.

Like others have said, a nice rowing boat is a joy, a nice thin kayak is good for training although I do find it hard to get excited about paddling a fat slow slug, which is what yachties tend to have on board. If the OP was to get a lovely rowing dinghy it would be a joy to row it around the anchorage and that would keep him fit. Our fat kayaks didn't do a great job for us because we tended to only use them in flatter water (Tassie trip) .Our sea kayaks (used in 2014) were great because their longer range and better seakeeping allowed us to do long trips with safety and security.

Work out what you will want to do to keep fit. Then take it along. Don't worry about what others want.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 23:43   #45

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

We have a rule that whenever we jump in the water to splash around or cool off (many times a day) we first do laps around the boat. 5 or 10 usually. That's all the cardio I need or can take 😅
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising