Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 13:05   #31

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
The PDQ 44 and St Francis 44 have identical steering positions. Perhaps it was the hard bimini on the PDQ that made the difference? The St Francis Mk I did have a lot less clearance than the St Francis Mk II, and the Mk II has less clearance than the PDQ 44. The St Francis has less windage and less weight and is a faster boat, but again, it's a trade off. The PDQ 44 is a terrific boat, it's literally more than double the price of a St Francis, but it is an extremely luxurious interior and a very safe boat.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 13:07   #32

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Cat with 3 helm positions

Take a look at my design here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...r-12688-4.html

see post 57 for the reasonably updated renders.

3 steering positions, forward cockpit for good weather, aft cockpit for some situations and inside like on an Atlantic.

Note that the forward cockpit is much wider than on an Atlantic as I think those have too much of a monomaran feel, being longer than wider, so you have to worm tour way past people and the pedestal. NOt so in my design.

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:35   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
Take a look at my design here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...r-12688-4.html

see post 57 for the reasonably updated renders.

3 steering positions, forward cockpit for good weather, aft cockpit for some situations and inside like on an Atlantic.

Note that the forward cockpit is much wider than on an Atlantic as I think those have too much of a monomaran feel, being longer than wider, so you have to worm tour way past people and the pedestal. NOt so in my design.

Regards

Alan
Very Nice...

How much $ for it?
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:07   #34

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Hejsan Freetime,

This is a design for "my dream boat" so no plans to market it. Building isn't started yet, so I can't tell you what it will cost me.

There have been several interested enquiries, so if she sails and handles as well as I hope, maybe I should consider selling plans, anyway let's see a real boat sailing before I start speculating...

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:16   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
Hejsan Freetime,

This is a design for "my dream boat" so no plans to market it. Building isn't started yet, so I can't tell you what it will cost me.

There have been several interested enquiries, so if she sails and handles as well as I hope, maybe I should consider selling plans, anyway let's see a real boat sailing before I start speculating...

Regards

Alan
Hej Nordic Cat,

Well done, you talked so much in details so it sounds like you should build it yourself. Build it! Or let a good company do it.... it looks so good.
Old 05-07-2008, 19:31   #36
cruiser

I like all the way aft and up high on the centerline. I first saw this on a passenger cat built by Gold Coast Yachts, and I am using this position on my BigCat project. You have great visibility and access for everything from this location-docking, the sails, everybody on deck, and the engine exhausts. These boats are used daily and docked several times a day-I think they arrived at this position because it is so practical. This location is the same height as the common 'just behind the deck house' position but farther aft and on the centerline. I have a big connector beam aft, and the helm sits on top of it.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:41   #37

Nautitech 40 2004 from yachtworld. I canīt say that i like this, or maybe the pic lies?
Old 02-08-2008, 05:43   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
For me the nautitech/catana style helm is great - on the bigger boats - e.g. on the nautitechs over 40 feet, the 40 ft you show above requires the helm seat to be moved to get around where as on the 44 ft you can walk behind it - makes all the difference.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:12   #39
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Our wheel is on the aft bulkhead just a foot to the right of the mast. I really like the idea of a forward cockpit. The fresh air, the visibility, and the feeling of a mono. We also have an autopilot we can steer from in the nav station with almost 360 visibility. It can be nice to get out of the wet, and cold sometimes.

As far as docking I back Imagine into most places with complete visibility. Even when coming alongside our pier I back her in. Once the stern line is on we turn in the bow. Approaching the dock with bows in I too also have a loss of sight for the port bow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gtown driver.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	4522  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:47   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post

Nautitech 40 2004 from yachtworld. I canīt say that i like this, or maybe the pic lies?
I think I'd be a bit dubious about leaning back against that backrest....not keen on that set up at all.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:20   #41

Strange Steeringwheel on a Grainger! Old citroen?

But on a cruisingcatamaran...how big steeringwheel is best, you donīt need a very big steeringwheel as you need on a monohull, atleast if you have only one.

Saw some multitests and they reported that they wanted a bigger steeringwheel. But how big is Right for the feeling?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:04   #42

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Why would you want a poser wheel. Big cats, most cats, have an hydraulic auto-helm with minimal feel. Set the heading you want and CRUISE.
Docking? Put a lever and a repeater somewhere handy near the throttles.
Old 08-08-2008, 13:46   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Gunboat has the same steering position....but those are just slightly more expensive. I cant imagine wanting to sail a boat where I cannot easily see the sails. Maybe there are some in here who have?....does it bother you not to be able to see the sails? ..or to have to look backwards to see the mainsail? Thought I would ask since I have never sailed a boat where the sails were not readily visible.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 13:58   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Gunboat has the same steering position....but those are just slightly more expensive. I cant imagine wanting to sail a boat where I cannot easily see the sails. Maybe there are some in here who have?....does it bother you not to be able to see the sails? ..or to have to look backwards to see the mainsail? Thought I would ask since I have never sailed a boat where the sails were not readily visible.
Why not have a steeringpositon like Chris Whites catamarans, that should fit perfect on a Gunboat.
Old 08-08-2008, 14:06   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The first thing that comes to mind is how cold and and lonely it would be getting blasted with spray while steering from the foredeck while everyone else is aft staying out of the weather.

Perhaps put a wheel on each bow?...snorkel gear is cheap enough.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote