Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2018, 11:53   #16

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter
Re: Stolen Boat; Portugal

I found out the other day how easy it is to cut a chain with an angle grinder. It's definitely a lot easier than hauling it in.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 14:07   #17

Boat: Hunter 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Kitchens View Post
I found out the other day how easy it is to cut a chain with an angle grinder. It's definitely a lot easier than hauling it in.
Man, you need a new windlass!
Old 14-11-2018, 14:12   #18

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterling View Post
Man, you need a new windlass!
LOL

Maybe I should have said quicker...It's a whole lot quicker to cut it then to haul it in.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 16:22   #19

Depends on what you’re cutting it with! You’d think they might need an anchor later?
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 17:06   #20

Serious post turned silly in a hurry.
donahue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 17:21   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Stolen Boat; Portugal

Culatra used to have a Wharram village back in the 90's..
come early 2000 the liveaboards had shrunk with some abandoned hulls sitting part on the beach in the small tidal inlet.. not been in there since 2010 so dont know how things stand today.
But as has been said.. a strange tale.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 17:24   #22

Boat: Comet 41s

André Simão, a local sailor posted this on a Portuguese facebook group (translated):

"This sailboat is anchored in Culatra and belonged to a man who was reported missing. According to reports the body was later found in the estuary near Salgados. Since then the sailboat has been anchored in the same place but around October 27 due to the strong wind the anchor dragged and the boat got stranded on a sand islet. Now has been towed to a deeper zone again."
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 21:12   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Kitchens View Post
Wow , You'd think the shower of angle grinder sparks would attract some attention.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 21:02   #24

Thanks for the information.

Apparently the boat "broke" 2 anchor chains, drifted into another boat which then took it in tow to a marina across the border in Spain, from where it has now been returned to it's rightful owners.

On the bright side, the authorities have now cleared it for sale under it's British Registration. $US120,000. https://us14.campaign-archive.com/?u...&id=72a38a4480 I have asked them to update this to include the $200,000 inventory and some other details.
rob denney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 07:00   #25

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

maybe 20 years ago in either Sail or Cruising World there was an article by an private investigator who specialized in finding stolen yachts who told the story of a boat on the east coast of Costa Rica, I think, that he located by airplane as it headed south pulled along by a giant manta ray that had become entangled in the ground tackle.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 07:46   #26

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob denney View Post

Apparently the boat "broke" 2 anchor chains, drifted into another boat which then took it in tow to a marina across the border in Spain, from where it has now been returned to it's rightful owners.

On the bright side, the authorities have now cleared it for sale under it's British Registration. $US120,000. https://us14.campaign-archive.com/?u...&id=72a38a4480 I have asked them to update this to include the $200,000 inventory and some other details.
Very interesting boat but what's going on with it and what your involvement is is very unclear. In your original post you said you were contacted by the owner but it appears that the owner is deceased. You now say that the "authorities" have cleared it for sale but you link it to an old listing dated before the boat was finished. Who is the owner? Who is the seller? What is your relationship? Is there a clear title? Who does someone contact to inspect the boat?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 08:01   #27

Boat: Home made 15 foot sailing dinghy used for coastal and cross channel cruising

Scout 30 - from the link quoted above, Rob Denny (the OP) is the boat designer who collaborated with the builder of the boat.
dinghysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 08:29   #28

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinghysailor View Post
Scout 30 - from the link quoted above, Rob Denny (the OP) is the boat designer who collaborated with the builder of the boat.
That still doesn't really answer any of my questions. The boat has already been built & taken possession of by the buyer. Does he now represent the seller as an agent? There's been a lot of weird conflicting posts on this thread. Just trying to clear up what's really going on here.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 08:43   #29

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob denney View Post

Why would you ask them to include the $200,000 and some other details? Surely that is up to the owner to do that, and if the owner has abandoned it, then it's up to the authorities to do as they see fit. I don't really see what your involvement is it. Not that you need to tell us of course.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 09:09   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Very interesting boat but what's going on with it and what your involvement is is very unclear. In your original post you said you were contacted by the owner but it appears that the owner is deceased. You now say that the "authorities" have cleared it for sale but you link it to an old listing dated before the boat was finished. Who is the owner? Who is the seller? What is your relationship? Is there a clear title? Who does someone contact to inspect the boat?
I'm sorry, but what is your business to know all this? The boat has been found, the owner is/was dead, the thread has served its purpose, life goes on. Please.
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Portugal