Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2019, 05:42   #1

Storage for months at a time ?

Hello People, I am new here and just trying to get some information on your thoughts on storage for our cat. We are about to purchase a 40' Catamaran and currency live in Australia. Our plan is to purchase a boat and in or around Bahamas / Caribbean, due to work commitments we plan on living and saving January too Late July on the boat and then will have to return to AUS, for the later part of the year. So we will need to store it some where. I am hoping some one can offer advice.One place that was recommended to us was St Kitts and another at Trinidad. I would prefer to be up more the Bahamas but the costs will come into it.

Travel visa - the other question is AUS traveling is there some where I can find more information on length of say for liveaboards ?
robert_eventshd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:56   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Storage for months at a time ?

Kinda open ended question. There are lots of places in such a large area. First thing I would do is break things down into what I will call the hurricane zone and the non hurricane zone. Not matter which one you leave the boat in it is wise to hire someone to look after the boat on a regular basis. Need to do things like air it out and check batteries along with checking for more serious issues.

If it is in the hurricane zone you also need to prep for that along with having someone on site make sure to take measures just before any hurricane hits. If South of the hurricane zone issues like hot humid weather mean more frequent checks of the boat for things lime mold and insects for starters.

If I was going to store a boat out of season I would most like go to the Rio.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Storage for months at a time ?

Aruba..

Boat Shelter | Varadero Aruba Marina & Boatyard | Aruba

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 14:06   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

A few images of historic hurricane paths which might interest you below. These areas are all good options because of the low frequency, or lack of, hurricanes. Respectively: the ABCs, Grenada - Trinidad, Panama - Cartagena, Rio Dulce Guatemala.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190708-205729_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	195577Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190708-205704_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	195578Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190708-205614_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	195579Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190708-205535_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	195580
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:24   #5

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

From personal experience, Grenada Marine on Grenada is a good place. Yes they did get hit by a catastrophic hurricane many years back but it is normally out of the hurricane belt. Trinidad is probably better from the hurricane point of view but I have no personal experience of the yards down there.

Wouldn't leave it on St Kitts in hurricane season but otherwise a good spot. Definitely wouldn't be in the Bahamas during hurricane season.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:28   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Robert.

Australians require a passport, but no visa to enter the Bahamas. They may stay 3 months.
http://www.bahamas.gov.bs/wps/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:14   #7

Boat: Outremer 51

I would start by talking to your insurance broker. Some policies allow Grenada, more will allow Trinidad, some will require ABC’s. If you want to be insured, which any boatyard will require, then this will be your deciding factor during hurricane season - some policies will require that you are on land by the end of June. St. Kitts will not be covered by anyone.

Hope this helps.
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:19   #8

Boat: Taswell 43

FWIW....we have left our boat on the hard over the last 5 summers in Puerto Del Rey Marina, Puerto Rico. We were on the hard when both hurricanes hit a couple of years ago....and all we lost was the windex! We purposely chose that marina, based on their facilities, security, methods and equipment, and professionalism...and we've not been disappointed. IF a storm comes through, we are certain it's as safe a place as you can find. It's not the Bahamas, but its a lot closer than St Kitts or Grenada. We're there now, again, and have found no reason to change! And no..I don't own, or work for, or own stock in PDR!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:30   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Boatman 61 has the best idea, Aruba is desert dry, out of hurricane zone, cheap and safe.
I left my boat there for 8 months, locked up tight, had no mildew anywhere.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:54   #10

Boat: FP Lipari, 11.95 metres

If you plan to spend most of your time in the Bahamas, the closest option, while not necessarily the cheapest, is the US East coast with about a 300NM run up to Brunswick or further north. If you are an Australian, a B2 visa will let you enter the USA by private vessel for up to 6 months at a time and the cruising licence allows the boat to stay for up to 1 year at a time. If you wish to cruise further than the Bahamas, I would second the Rio Dulce. You can get a 3-month visa on arrival and the boat can stay for 3 months extendable to 2 years without difficulty. Berths are reasonably priced and a variety of boat repair and maintenance services are readily available. We are in our second season here and are very comfortable leaving our boat for extended periods.
Takamoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 15:08   #11

Hi, All thanks for this information, also some one said there is a list of mariners, I did some searching and found it, it look like a good place to start if I want to stay around the Bahamas, as we find out sea legs. here is the wist if any one else is interested. Download Link
If we were to head from the Bahamas in July back to " Jacksonville area " how long would it take at a average time, depending on the winds.
robert_eventshd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:49   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_eventshd View Post
Hi, All thanks for this information, also some one said there is a list of mariners, I did some searching and found it, it look like a good place to start if I want to stay around the Bahamas, as we find out sea legs. here is the wist if any one else is interested. Download Link
If we were to head from the Bahamas in July back to " Jacksonville area " how long would it take at a average time, depending on the winds.
The Bahamas is a big area, where do you intened to depart from?

No offense intended, but this is a pretty basic navigation question. In the interest of "getting your sea legs", I suggest you work thru that nav problem. Your biggest consideration will be the Gulf Stream...there are a number of threads on that here. Realistically, you could spend more time waiting for a window to cross the Stream than the whole run takes, but probably not in July (remember of course...thats hurricane season).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage