Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2020, 12:46   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Re: Storm damaged Bahamas Leopards – Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
"New mast/rigging/furler and install are no more than $25k. "

Hahahahahahahahahhaaaaaa.......

Funny guys

And yes, no photos of the damage is complete bs on their part.
Old 24-05-2020, 14:48   #17

To the OP, "good looking out". I''m sure many on here have seen those listings and wondered... Though there are enough deficiencies in the listing to raise an eyebrow or two, but who doesn't like a good deal. Caveat Emptor seems to be the rule. I have been seeking a cat for about a year or so, one boat went to survey but there were a couple serious issues that weren't worth the repair bill/purchase price ratio, when the owner would not negotiate. In that case the boat had items that were not as listed, and in fact was in much worse condition than indicated, including items listed that did not exist. Just recently I had that experience again dealing with a prominent company here in the U.S.. The listing stated rebuilt engines, serviced saildrives, and new motor mounts. I was lucky enough to have a conversation with someone who knew the boat, and seen it recently. Neither engine was in a running condition, the steering cable was jammed, and one of the saildrives exhibited extensive corrosion, and very poor maintenance. there were many other discrepancies in the listing as well, including images from years before, mixed in with current images, so difficult to discern actual condition. Even after finding the true state of the boat, I considered heavily going all in on it as a project, but was turned off enough buy the deceit that I couldn't bring myself to go buy from them.

So without even going to the Bahamas, or dealing with a "ghost" broker, I have found similar issues with listings here in the states.

I have wondered if I am hoping for too much for a boat to have an accurate listing? I understand a bit of exaggeration, and smoothing the corners, but I'm talking about misleading representation in a listing. I have been on a number of boats to help decide what my preferences are, and which additions I would like to have for creature comforts. I am the type who expects issues, and repairs, especially in the used market, and accept that as reality. But if a boat is not seaworthy, it seems there should be an indication in that listing. I know there are honest brokers out there, who want to put good deals together. In fact I just worked with one from a high profile seller, who went out of his way to make sure I was provided real information to make a decision on moving forward. Even though it meant jeopardizing the deal. He was working as a buyer's broker but, could just as easily not made that effort. So I am not in any way bashing the industry, just trying to manage my expectations of what level of accuracy to expect in any listing.
Given the strong demand, I would think a straightforward listing of those boats in the Bahamas would get them sold faster, and with less repercussions afterward as many are willing to take on a project if they know more accurately what they are in for.
P.S. I apologize if this is hijacking your thread.
wolfychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 03:09   #18

It’s sad how forums like this have false information which directs people in the wrong direction.

I am the director and owner of Intel Marine which is responsible for selling the yachts. We have been in business since 1999 and because you can’t google something doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

All you have to do is pick up the phone
and call to know we are not a scam nor have any false claims. Or better yet you should visit the boats to see how they really are instead of make false presumptions. It’s an injustice to people who really want to buy themselves a project boat and save a bunch of money and enjoy the cruising life.

Feel free to call anytime. Just make sure to give your real name and be upfront as it seems the person posting the false posts have more to hide.

We have a bunch of light damaged Catamarans for sale. If interested call us and see for yourself.
Intelmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 03:17   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelmarine View Post
It’s sad how forums like this have false information which directs people in the wrong direction.

I am the director and owner of Intel Marine which is responsible for selling the yachts. We have been in business since 1999 and because you can’t google something doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

All you have to do is pick up the phone
and call to know we are not a scam nor have any false claims. Or better yet you should visit the boats to see how they really are instead of make false presumptions. It’s an injustice to people who really want to buy themselves a project boat and save a bunch of money and enjoy the cruising life.

Feel free to call anytime. Just make sure to give your real name and be upfront as it seems the person posting the false posts have more to hide.

We have a bunch of light damaged Catamarans for sale. If interested call us and see for yourself.
What else do you expect from forums? If you wanted strangers to give you there benefit of the doubt you should have provided more info. It's not like there aren't rip-off merchants out there that post adverts with a similar format.
Old 25-05-2020, 03:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
"New mast/rigging/furler and install are no more than $25k. "

Hahahahahahahahahhaaaaaa.......

Funny guys

And yes, no photos of the damage is complete bs on their part.
Yes that is the price from the manufacturer. Happy to sell you a mast too.
Old 25-05-2020, 03:59   #21

The mast and stays alone would be $25k, but if you can provide them for the price you say then fair enough. All this is assuming there is no additional damage to the hull. I'm not interested in buying though, I have a ship, but you could save time and effort by giving us pictures and more info in the advert.
Old 25-05-2020, 04:20   #22

A new mast/standing rigging/furler/ and installation is $25k or less direct from the manufacturer. I only send pics and info to real buyers and not just brokers and people who are not interested in buying a boat.
Old 25-05-2020, 04:29   #23

Boat: Leopard 46

I was over there 2 days after the storm for relief efforts and yes they are Moorings boats and they would sell there mother if they thought they could make a buck. Most of these boats were in the yard just South of Marsh and most were washed out and flipped over, since then they have flipped them back and drug them back to the yard during cleanup and have been a total for the owners and now are being sold by the insurance company's. Rest assured Moorings has there hand in them, and I bought a boat from Marsh a few years ago and it was so bubblegum and bailing wired together and it was not trashed by a Hurricane. If you get a good deal on one great but now you have to get it home to repair it because they are still trying to recover and rebuild there own homes. Only word of advise when playing with snakes make dam sure you don't take your eye off them or you will get bit...
SailingTSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 04:50   #24

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Could you sell me a mast? Can you deliver to Florida?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 05:59   #25

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
A new mast/standing rigging/furler/ and installation is $25k or less direct from the manufacturer. I only send pics and info to real buyers and not just brokers and people who are not interested in buying a boat.

Why don't you just put the pics of the actual boat in the current condition in the ad? Make it easy, you make this hard.
Old 25-05-2020, 06:52   #26

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Sorry for the harassment and negativity, it runs pretty rampant on this forum. It takes a very certain type of individual who would be interested in taking on a project like that. If a person was truly interested, yes, they would hop on a plane and go check them out, and not try a build a case on the internet as to why they are such a bogus deal without actually laying eyes on them.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 07:02   #27

Quote:
And what is your real name and what is the address of Intel Marine?
Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 07:20   #28

Quote:
Normal people who aren't trying to scam others post actual pictures of what they're selling in the listing. Claiming that the privilege of seeing photos of what you're selling is some kind of "right" you have to earn is the sure sign of a scammer hiding something or someone with a bizarre idea of how normal commerce is carried out. Either way, not something you want to get involved in.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 08:51   #29

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

While I think it a bit severe to call IntelMarine a scam, having to call to get accurate information is a stretch. It would be my suggestion that if they want to cut down on calls from those with no interest, they might want to post pictures of the actual boat. They do mention in most of their listing that pictures are on the way, but none have been posted to date. If I were in the market for a damaged boat I'd find a trusted broker. While I find little evidence they are untrustworthy there is no evidence that they are trustworthy.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 11:53   #30

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Take a good look at parlay revivals videos. Their cat had it's rig still standing, and was dry Inside I believe. Every tiny starburst impact chip and ding in the fiberglass resulted in major Mooshy rotten balsa core extending several feet.
Now they've discovered major bulkhead issues thru the boat requiring intensive work. Wonder how strong any cat core integrity is that's been flipped around had it's rig ripped off etc. There's a reason these were totalled out
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, leopard